Nintendo appears to have mistakenly used a fan-made render of Mario on the Super Nintendo World site

fakemario.png

You might be rendered speechless after a gaffe Nintendo just made on their newly-launched Super Nintendo World website. A loading icon for the page currently features a render of Mario, however, that artwork doesn't belong to Nintendo. Twitter user uJidow claims that Nintendo mistakenly used their render of Mario--not the official one. The differences between the two are quite negligible, with uJidow's appearing to be modeled after the original. The image on the left is official and comes from New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, while the fan-made one is on the right. You can see that Nintendo is using the doppleganger Mario, as the one on the loading page has brighter eyes and shinier brass overall buckles--just like the fanart.

1200px-Mario_New_Super_Mario_Bros_U_Deluxe.png ErGcgX4WMAA6Wdm.jpg
:arrow: Source

Deleted member 331788

Trophies
XP
Country
Sue their asses.
DMCA or C&D or whatever the fuck the original creator wants to do, but they really need to be put in place.
It seems Nintendo just doesn't like to shut down fan games, but they're going after fan art now AND claiming it as their own.

If that doesn't make you stop supporting Nintendo, I don't know what will.

Mario is the IP of Nintendo ...you should not copy copyright material in the first place.

This is exactly why people hack and leak their content on the internet.

No, it's really not ...people are just arses and like to brag for attention! ;)

Reactions: Pipistrele

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Sue their asses.
DMCA or C&D or whatever the fuck the original creator wants to do, but they really need to be put in place.
It seems Nintendo just doesn't like to shut down fan games, but they're going after fan art now AND claiming it as their own.

If that doesn't make you stop supporting Nintendo, I don't know what will.
I was about to ironically propose this for a quick laugh, but it seems I was beaten to the punch :D

Reactions: banjo2

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
so nintendo are allowed to steal other peoples work but when it happens to them they bring out the DMCA hammer..
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
they have the rights to the character, how can you sue nintendo for illegaly using one of their characters that they own? lol how does that make any sense?

he doesnt have legal grounds to sue since he doesnt own anything about that picture and cant own it since nintendo never allowed him to use it lol

Last edited by pedro702,

james50a

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
given how nintendo treats community projects id say its only fair for them to recive the painfull end of the stick for once.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
It was almost certainly an honest mistake. I'm just looking at the tweet and so many people are advocating that he sue which I think is a ridiculous proposition.
There is no "honest mistake" here. What person at Nintendo would go out to google for a Mario render, when they have an internal stockpile at their ready? It makes no sense why they would do this. Honest mistake my ass...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Re "their property".
They might have the rights to the character, and that could make things fun if the artist tried to sell things/prints/tshirts with it on, but it does not entitle them to the work of others.

Would the hypothetical company that makes the crisps (and almost certainly had trademarks on the logo, and possibly some rights to the colour scheme and general design) be able to spin off several of those just for fun or use that for their latest advert without permissions? What then is any different here?

There is no "honest mistake" here. What person at Nintendo would go out to google for a Mario render, when they have an internal stockpile at their ready? It makes no sense why they would do this. Honest mistake my ass...
While I don't disagree that they should have some nice repository of prebaked images, renders, models and whatnot along with fonts, colour schemes and whatever else for their staff to access if it is like many companies (especially if they got on board with the idea in the late 90s/early 2000s and it is now a legacy monster) then the internal system is probably a right nightmare to log into, use and deal with. If indeed it was also some external company, possibly farmed out to some intern even then, then I can see taking a shortcut being a thing that happened.

Reactions: banjo2

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, Nintendo is not entitled to the derivative work of others, even if it contains their property. Unauthorized derivative works just kind of sit in limbo, where neither party has the rights to do anything with the work.

If Nintendo weren't such an ass about intellectual property, most of us (myself included) would probably let it slide as an honest mistake and move on. But of course, they're arguably Worse Than Disney™ at this point, so Nintendo absolutely deserves to be nitpicked and heckled to the maximum extent possible over any and every IP infringement they and any of their subsidiaries and contractors commit, no matter how minor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zufnIPGYQx8