Nintendo appears to have mistakenly used a fan-made render of Mario on the Super Nintendo World site

fakemario.png

You might be rendered speechless after a gaffe Nintendo just made on their newly-launched Super Nintendo World website. A loading icon for the page currently features a render of Mario, however, that artwork doesn't belong to Nintendo. Twitter user uJidow claims that Nintendo mistakenly used their render of Mario--not the official one. The differences between the two are quite negligible, with uJidow's appearing to be modeled after the original. The image on the left is official and comes from New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, while the fan-made one is on the right. You can see that Nintendo is using the doppleganger Mario, as the one on the loading page has brighter eyes and shinier brass overall buckles--just like the fanart.

1200px-Mario_New_Super_Mario_Bros_U_Deluxe.png ErGcgX4WMAA6Wdm.jpg
:arrow: Source

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the difference is brighter eyes and shinier overall buckles? Seems feasible that Nintendo has such a render themselves and it's just incredibly similar to the fan render given that it's based on a real render to begin with. Of course it could be that whoever put together the website did take the render from online, but that's hard for me to believe, surely Nintendo has hundreds of different official Mario renders to use for building such websites.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I don't think he can sue Nintendo owns Mario. It's really tricky but they should have alteast paid him for it or credited him
It was almost certainly an honest mistake. I'm just looking at the tweet and so many people are advocating that he sue which I think is a ridiculous proposition.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sue their asses.
DMCA or C&D or whatever the fuck the original creator wants to do, but they really need to be put in place.
It seems Nintendo just doesn't like to shut down fan games, but they're going after fan art now AND claiming it as their own.

If that doesn't make you stop supporting Nintendo, I don't know what will.

RobXcore

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Sue their asses.
DMCA or C&D or whatever the fuck the original creator wants to do, but they really need to be put in place.
It seems Nintendo just doesn't like to shut down fan games, but they're going after fan art now AND claiming it as their own.

This is exactly why people hack and leak their content on the internet.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so nintendo are allowed to steal other peoples work but when it happens to them they bring out the DMCA hammer..
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
Do we have any proof that the site was made by Nintendo? As Super Nintendo World is in Universal Studios Japan it's quite possible that it was Universal Studios that created the website and used the fan made Mario picture.

Ericzander

Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Sue their asses.
Ah, that didn't take long. Let's see how far that would go before getting thrown out.

Another thing for the angry mob to consider is that it's even more likely that some programmer at Universal was behind the mix-up and that Nintendo proper wasn't even involved.

In other news, I'm going to make an almost identical image of tempy and then sue Costello if he accidently uses it on the site.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
So the difference is brighter eyes and shinier overall buckles?
The slightly tanner than normal skin tone and thinner M on the hat also match the fanart, though they're not as blatant as those two details. Otherwise I'd also be inclined to think it's just a coincidence.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Actually, it does belong to Nintendo. By definition it's a derivative work, and therefore the person who made it has no rights to it.
Sue their asses.

Sue Nintendo over Nintendo IP? That wouldn't work :P

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

RyRyIV

Woke Clown
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Ah, that didn't take long. Let's see how far that would go before getting thrown out.

Another thing for the angry mob to consider is that it's even more likely that some programmer at Universal was behind the mix-up and that Nintendo proper wasn't even involved.

In other news, I'm going to make an almost identical image of tempy and then sue Costello if he accidently uses it on the site.
Pfft, okay Mr. Woke. Go ahead and act like you know the law, armchair lawyer

Ericzander

Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Pfft, okay Mr. Woke. Go ahead and act like you know the law, armchair lawyer
Oh, I see that you're using that signature that I custom made for you that I templated from several different sources but that I want to claim is my own intellectual property. Buckle up buddy cuz I'm about to sue you into next week! ;)

But to go back to the topic, I think that the image that they used does look ever so slightly better than the official render. I wonder how long it'll take to get changed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night