heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
One thing has become incredibly clear as the launch of the 3DS approaches – you have a lot of questions. A couple weeks back, in the aftermath of Nintendo's 3DS event in New York City, I posted a blog asking what you wanted to know about the device. The results were astonishing, with hundreds of individual responses submitted. I did my best to answer, but it was clear some of the stuff you wanted to know was outside of what I had learned about the system.

So I figured I'd ask Nintendo.

I gathered about a dozen of your inquiries, and sent them over to the various teams at Nintendo of America. Collectively they sent back information to the best of their ability. Some things they weren't able to answer. Some clarifications were more or less going over information we already knew. Still, it's good to hear directly from the source.

If you still have questions, I'll do my best to get them over to NOA. I can't promise a response, as the closer we get to launch the tougher it is to get a hold of folks, but let's see what we can do in these remaining weeks.

QUESTION #1 - If I'm playing Mario Kart on my 3DS, can I play the game with other players if they are using standard DS systems? Will the 3DS support multiplayer DS games in general?

ANSWER - Yes.

QUESTION #2 - When it comes to concepts like coins or the ability to play MP3s, are developers free to use those concepts in any way they choose?

ANSWER - Yes, it is up to each individual developer to decide whether or not they would like to implement the various features the system has to offer.

QUESTION #3 - Could a developer conceivably use the MP3 playback concept to allow users to have custom game soundtracks?

ANSWER - The system is capable of doing that, though it will be up to each individual developer to decide whether to allow it.

QUESTION #4 - When it comes to StreetPass functionality, are you able to control which games StreetPass can effect? Can you manage that type of access on a game-by-game basis?

ANSWER - StreetPass functionality will not be active until the user chooses to activate that functionality. Once the feature is active, users must also set up StreetPass data on a game-by-game basis.

Even if a game is compatible with StreetPass, it will not start sending data until the player chooses to do so. Owners can also use parental controls to turn off the StreetPass function entirely.

QUESTION #5 - What's the maximum size SD card that can be used in the 3DS? Is there a limit?

ANSWER - Every system comes with a 2GB SD memory card (though owners can provide whatever size they like).

QUESTION #6 - To confirm – the 3DS touch screen does not support simultaneous, multiple-point input, correct?

ANSWER - Correct.

QUESTION #7 - Are you able to play the system while charging using the cradle or the AC adapter? Is one somehow more effective than another?

ANSWER - Users are able to play the Nintendo 3DS while charging, regardless of whether the system is plugged into the Charging Cradle or AC adapter. Both are just as effective.

QUESTION #8 - Is the Internet browser for the 3DS still Opera-based? Is it enhanced in terms of functionality over previous Nintendo system browsers?

ANSWER - A browser will be made available via a system update after launch. We will be revealing more information closer to launch.

QUESTION #9 - Can you detail how friend codes will work when you're with friends in the same Wi-Fi area versus when you are separated in different regions?

ANSWER - When playing games, friend codes will work the same, regardless of where the players are located. The Nintendo 3DS only requires gamers to enter one code for the hardware; the codes are not software dependent. Once users have traded hardware codes, they can check their friends list to see which of their friends is online, what they are playing, and can jump into online play for compatible games much quicker than today.

The only difference will be the ability to exchange codes. Friends who are separated by distance will need to exchange codes once and manually enter them. Friends who are in the same room can automatically swap codes wirelessly, with nothing to enter.

QUESTION #10 - Can you clarify the presence of the e-Shop? It's available in May and only via download?

ANSWER - The Nintendo eShop, the ability to transfer Nintendo DSiWare games to Nintendo 3DS and the Internet Browser will all be activated via a worldwide system update which is scheduled for late May.

QUESTION #11 - How many megapixels are the 3DS cameras? Is it theoretically possible to record video – in 3D?

ANSWER - The camera resolution is the same as the screen resolution: 640x480. Still images only. Nintendo 3DS does not record video at present. However, Mr. Miyamoto has stated that recording 3D video is one of his ambitions for the product moving forward.

QUESTION #12 - What Wi-Fi security settings are compatible with the 3DS?

ANSWER - The Nintendo 3DS supports WPA and WPA2 Wi-Fi security settings.

QUESTION #13 – Can Play Coins be used to buy either in-game items or things from the e-Store?

ANSWER - We anticipate Play Coins to be used in a variety of different ways in-game—unlocking bonus content is just one example. Play Coins will not be used in the e-Shop.

QUESTION #14 - Does the 3DS support voice chat?

ANSWER - We do not have anything to announce at this time.

[Editor's Note: We've been told separately that titles like Pokemon Black & White (for the DS) will retain their video/voice chat functionality even when played on the 3DS. This would seem to indicate some level of support for voice chat.]

QUESTION #15 - Once a friend code has been added or selected, do you see them by their name or nickname?

ANSWER - Similar to the way Friend Codes work on Wii, once friend codes are exchanged you see your friend listed by the nickname assigned to their system.

QUESTION #16 - Are you able to message your friends in addition to seeing what games they are playing?

ANSWER - We do not have anything to announce at this time.

Source

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Wow, this is some neat news here
smile.gif

Yayy for Mario Kart 3DS playing VS. Mario Kart DS.
The more I read 3DS news, the more it hurts to endure the days before I get it.
tongue.gif

pocchama1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheTwoR's said:
smile.gif

tongue.gif
Umm I think you misunderstood that.
It meant If you play a DS game on the 3ds you can still play multiplayer with people on regular ds.
NOT that Mario Kart 3D is compatible with Mario Kart DS

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
TheTwoR's said:
smile.gif

tongue.gif
actually they mean if you play a DS game on the 3DS and do multiplayer with someone playing a DS game on their DS

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Ohhhhh hahaha sorry about that.
Well, that's good news, but very expected
tongue.gif

But come on wouldn't it be cool for Mario Kart 3DS to have this one backward compatibility mode where you play with people on MKDS?
laugh.gif

Yeah, never gonna happen
frown.gif

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
the answer to this question is a bit weird
QUOTE said:
QUESTION #11 - How many megapixels are the 3DS cameras? Is it theoretically possible to record video – in 3D?

ANSWER - The camera resolution is the same as the screen resolution: 640x480.

since when does the 3DS have 640x480 for screen resolution?

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Costello said:
QUOTE said:

I was wondering about that too :wtf:

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Costello said:
QUOTE said:

weird, but isn't 640x480 the quality of an MP4 video?

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
QUESTION #5 - What's the maximum size SD card that can be used in the 3DS? Is there a limit?

ANSWER - Every system comes with a 2GB SD memory card (though owners can provide whatever size they like).That's not answering the question at all.

FireGrey said:
Costello said:
QUOTEQUESTION #11 - How many megapixels are the 3DS cameras? Is it theoretically possible to record video – in 3D?

What are you talking about?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
As much as a man is 5 feet tall and a car is red.
tongue.gif
Meaning there's no correlation. I can show you an MP4 that's 320x240 and then another that's 1680x1050.

That said yeah it's been known it's 640x480 (1/3rd of a megapixel) for the 3DS's cameras, but I don't know where the screen comment came from, as it's not even the right aspect ratio.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Most if not all of these questions we already know the answer to, and the answers are dumb.
I also hate when they say ''We'll answer that question that closer to launch'', and then when they finally do , we already know the answers.
It's always like this...
One more thing, the resolution of the picture ≠ the quality of the picture or the cameras.
If the screen resolution is 400×240 why do the cameras need to be able to take 6mp photos.
The important thing is that it shouldn't be grainy and dark, and if you've seen videos with the camera in action it looks pretty good.
I can't remember where but someone uploaded pictures taken with the 3DS somewhere.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eerpow said:
Most if not all of these questions we already know the answer to, and the answers are dumb.
I also hate when they say ''We'll answer that question that closer to launch'', and then when they finally do , we already know the answers.
It's always like this...
I personally think that they answered a majority of the questions that we were asking.

The wireless friend code exchange and the ability to play with others with a DS system is a nice bonus too.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Slyakin said:
Eerpow said:
It's always like this...
I personally think that they answered a majority of the questions that we were asking.

The wireless friend code exchange and the ability to play with others with a DS system is a nice bonus too.

Well the thing is that the first feature you mentioned was already announced a while back and the second was obvious because they said that we will be able to play our DS and DSi games on the 3DS like on the original systems, with all the functions like microphones, wi-fi, touchscreen etc.
But you have a point, the answers aren't that bad and I can't expect everyone to know about those features.

QUOTE(MasterPenguin @ Feb 10 2011, 03:24 PM)
It supports WPA and WPA2, but not WEP? How does it play DS games on multiplayer?
tongue.gif
Well it supports WEP for DS games, the bad thing is that DS games probably won't support WPA WPA2

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Apparently 3DS camera photo's look more crisp compared to the DSi ones even though they are both 0.3MP

Also developers have the ability to allow custom MP3 playback in their games.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Namco-Bandai needs to put Custom Soundtracks in Gundam The 3D Battle or if it's not possible then any future Gundam and Macross games you make.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sir-Fritz said:
QUOTE said:

ANSWER - Every system comes with a 2GB SD memory card (though owners can provide whatever size they like).
That's not answering the question at all.
I think thats a pretty clear awnser. There is no maximum size with the current SD cards
smile.gif

Also good questions!
I like the fact you can play DS games on the 3DS and still multiplay with normal DS'

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Sir-Fritz said:
QUOTE said:

That's not answering the question at all.
Any size you want should imply SDXC support, but as if I would take this PR literally.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: