Nintendo Answers further Switch Questions; No Backwards Compatibility with Games and Controllers

NINTENDO-SWITCH-1.png

Nintendo is clarifying (and not) questions regarding its upcoming home console-handheld hybrid.

Kotaku reached out to the House of Mario with a set of questions which recently replied. Those that stand out the most are:
  • No backwards compatibility with games and controllers for other systems. However, support for certain controllers may be considered for a future update.
  • No games being bundled with Nintendo Switch
  • 32GB of internal NAND memory, a portion of which is reserved for use by the system. The system’s internal memory can be easily expanded as needed using microSDXC cards (up to 2TB, when available on the market)
  • Capture button to take screenshots, which can be viewed and edited before sharing on social media. No video capture at launch but planning to add the ability to record video in the future.
  • Mii Maker app on the Switch
  • No video streaming at launch but is being considered for a future update
  • Region-free

You can read the full response below:

Is Switch backwards compatible in any way? Will you be able to download or play Wii, Wii U, or 3DS games?

The Nintendo Switch system is not backward compatible with games designed for other systems, and is not currently compatible with controllers designed for other systems. Support for certain controllers may be considered for a future update. We have nothing to announce regarding Virtual Console or other types of digital purchases at this time.

How if at all does the Switch connect to Wii U and 3DS owners’ existing accounts?

We have nothing to announce at this time.

Will the Switch be compatible with existing Virtual Console purchases?

Will the Switch have its own library of Virtual Console games that starts from scratch, or will it bring over the Virtual Console library from 3DS and Wii U?

How will SNES online functionality work? Which games will it support?

For those concerned about the 32GB of storage, how will that work for playing downloadable games? How will it work for DLC and patches?

The Nintendo Switch system has 32GB of internal NAND memory, a portion of which is reserved for use by the system. The system’s internal memory can be easily expanded as needed using microSDXC cards.

The SDXC standard supports up to 2TB of storage. (Note that 2TB cards are not yet on the market, but Nintendo Switch will support them when they are.) External USB hard drives are not supported at launch, but we are researching the possibility of supporting them in the future.

If no microSDXC card is used, everything is stored in internal NAND memory. If a microSDXC card is used, game save data is stored in internal NAND memory while data that can be redownloaded, such as digital games, game updates, and DLC, is stored on the microSDXC card. Nintendo Switch game cards are non-writable; game save data is stored in internal NAND memory.

Is there a trophy or achievements system?

The 3DS has built in games and the Wii and Wii U were bundled with games. Are there any games being bundled with the Switch?

There are no games being bundled with Nintendo Switch.

Every launch is different, and with each one we try to make the best decision for the consumer, marketplace and our company. We believe the hardware configuration at the price point we’ve chosen is a great consumer value. The consumer will have their choice of great software for the system.

How does the Share button work? Does it allow you to capture video as well as screenshots? Will it allow you to stream on Twitch or YouTube?

The Capture Button is located on the Joy-Con (L) controller and the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, and lets users grab screenshots from their games. They can then view, edit (add text of various sizes, colors and positions) and post them to social media. The original unedited screenshot is also saved.

We are planning to add the ability to record video in the future.

Switch won’t have Miiverse - will there be Miis? Or any other equivalent?

While Miiverse will continue to be supported on the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems, our approach with the Nintendo Switch system is to make greater use of other established, broadly used social platforms. For example, captured gameplay screenshots can be shared on popular social networks, and social features such as voice chat are possible with smart devices through our app.

There is a Mii Maker on Nintendo Switch. The software to create Mii characters is now located in System Settings, and no longer resides on the HOME menu as a standalone application. You can also create a Mii character from the Profile screen. Making Mii characters is similar to the method used on past systems.

Mii characters can be used to represent a user profile, but are not required. Users also have the option to choose a profile picture from an included library of Nintendo character images. Mii characters can still be used in games if developers choose to include them.

You can send/receive Mii characters through local wireless communication between Nintendo Switch systems, or use an amiibo figure to transfer Mii Characters from Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems.

Mii characters on the Nintendo Switch system are similar to past iterations, but they have some different options. More facial components and colors for hair and skin have been added, while the following attributes have been removed: creator’s name, favorites, birthday, copying, and “public.”

Will Switch support Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO Go, or any other streaming services?

All of our efforts have gone toward making the Nintendo Switch system an amazing dedicated video game platform, so it will not support any video-streaming services at launch. However, support for video-streaming services is being considered for a future update.

Will online stores be region-free or just cartridges?

The Nintendo Switch system is not region locked, but we recommend that players buy games within their region to ensure full service and support. The user will access the Nintendo eShop that corresponds to the country identified in their Nintendo Account. (Up to eight user accounts can be created on a single Nintendo Switch system.)

:arrow: SOURCE

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want someone to tell me how 1 2 Switch is equal in value to Breath of the Wild.
The same way worthless apps like Candy Crush Saga manage to extract hundreds of dollars from players. (Except it's a one-time cost since 1-2 Switch is actually a game, not a freemium "app".)

PedroKeitawa

Trophies
Website
natsunokaze.altervista.org
XP
Country
Italy
I want someone to tell me how 1 2 Switch is equal in value to Breath of the Wild.
I don't think compare a "presentation" game like this with Zelda. Is like compare Wii Sports with Skyward Sword or Mario Galaxy. But since i say this im surprise that, at the very least, 1 2 Switch is not bundle with the system.

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This thing is obviously rushed. IF games, good unique exclusive games, won't pick up, then this thing would die faster than you blink. Also, with the emergence of faster technology, this thing would age really fast. (see PS4 Pro and Xbox One S and upcoming Scorpio, n3ds). But if it'll get a good traction, then we'll probably see something like a Switch Pro or Switch S. They can delay with classic games, virtual consoles, HD remakes, etc. Hopefully, it will get good for Nintendo though. I'm rooting for their success on this one. What can I say, I'm just being optimist.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah but candy crush is free to play.
To use the argument Windows fanboys like to use to put down Linux: "Only if your time is worthless."

You eventually end up blocked unless you pay $ to continue or wait for hours for the "freemium" meters to refill or whatnot. (Disclaimer: I haven't played Candy Crush Saga, because I don't particularly like using worthless apps that solely exist for the purpose of extracting money instead of providing actual gameplay.)

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: +disclaimer

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I felt the same. I got it for christmas along with mario 64 and I played only that one game for months until I got wave race 64. back then it was just simpler, it just was but markets are flooded now, every one's basically has more games than they can ever play or finish. this childhood-like love for a nintendo system is something I cherish deeply, I actually want my son to experience the same, but in reality I sometimes even fear that I will not be able to achieve that with him, and he's in the age! maybe it's not even Nintendos business decisions but a simple over-supply of entertainment that results in tedium and doesn't let the magic come through, because every bit of potential magic is dissected and over analysed and over criticised; and on top of that he have way higher expectations, or at least I do. When I got my N64, I didn't care about specs, cord length of the controller, durability of that stick, memory cards, Cartridge size... Of none of that I have a memory, I only remember being happy. Maybe that's the Switch's problem today, to not be able to be happy that easily anymore... I should stop

Yeah I feel you. That magic vanished years ago and now I very rarely get excited about anything. I remember thinking the Wii U was a neat idea, and I remember wanting a 3DS, but did I jump as soon as I got those? Nah.

The last system I truly enjoyed from Nintendo was the Gamecube. I loved the Wii though but it didn't have that OMGWOW feeling like the previous consoles. I think it probably had something to do with the launch titles because I remember immediately wanting the Gamecube after playing demos for Melee, Star Wars, and Metroid Prime among a few others.

DrkBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Ummm ps4, xbox1, wii ,wii u??m
None of the saves were on the game.
In fact the DS and gameboy line are the only ones.
Everything else was on a memory card or system.
I dont see a problem with this and you can put the save data on the external sd card.

I can not say if they will have a cloud, but im sure they will have a tranfer or backup to sd card.
Idk if the saves are lock to accounts, but i dont see the fuss.
There doing what everyone else have been doing.
Assuming it's a home console, it's just a tablet with an expensive dock, but damm, it's the first time Nintendo does something like this, obviously home consoles doesn't have this because of the lack of portability

Bonestorm

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just like ps+ and live.
At some point you gotta think if those are paid and work good. Maybe nintendo will work good. People would be getting paid to make it work better then just losing money having it free.

So i see that as a step forward. Just hope they dont charge alot. $20-$40 a year if there is a good line up of online games. If no then $10-$15 for a year.
Thats something that would keep severs up and running
Nintendo thinks way to highly of themselves, they are charging for online from a company that has a history of terrible 3rd party support. Untill thy prove otherwise with the Switch why would they expect people to pay yearly to play what 3 games online? mario kart splatoon smash??? they are out of their minds

How anyone sees ANYTHING positive about the Switch at this point is beyond me. Complete failure of a reveal.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Their library is so huge, an annual or a monthly plan that lets you play the whole library while you're a subscriber, across multiple platforms. PC and switch. The server costs would be minimal, because the data of those games are tiny, so they could pay for bigger servers as needed for Splattonn or Smach Bros
or buy a wii hack it and play any damn nintendo game you want.. why on earth do people care about VC that they have to PAY for??? if im paying money for a game it better be physical in my hands.

Reactions: kineticUk

lostboysteve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I felt the same. I got it for christmas along with mario 64 and I played only that one game for months until I got wave race 64. back then it was just simpler, it just was but markets are flooded now, every one's basically has more games than they can ever play or finish. this childhood-like love for a nintendo system is something I cherish deeply, I actually want my son to experience the same, but in reality I sometimes even fear that I will not be able to achieve that with him, and he's in the age! maybe it's not even Nintendos business decisions but a simple over-supply of entertainment that results in tedium and doesn't let the magic come through, because every bit of potential magic is dissected and over analysed and over criticised; and on top of that he have way higher expectations, or at least I do. When I got my N64, I didn't care about specs, cord length of the controller, durability of that stick, memory cards, Cartridge size... Of none of that I have a memory, I only remember being happy. Maybe that's the Switch's problem today, to not be able to be happy that easily anymore... I should stop

In fairness my original PlayStation only had the demo cd... which I played the crap out of. Will the switch at least have demos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonestorm

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
> PS4 home console launches with nogames - $400 - thisisfine.gif
> XB1 home console launches with nogames - $500 - thisisfine.gif
> Switch home console and portable launches with nogames for $300 - reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ps4 - is powerful enough to support any 3rd party game everyone expects lots of games..thisisfine

xboxone - was to expensive they immediately drooped the price and all the other DRM shit they had, no one was happy xbone has only sold like 25m units ..this is not fine

Nintendo - has to prove they care about hardcore gamers, they spent half hour on 12 switch motion controls nonsense system its too weak for 3rd party games only 1 launch game...in essence Nintendo had way more to prove.......this is not fine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended