Nintendo announces Wii U price drop

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by GameWinner, Aug 28, 2013.

1. GameWinner
    OP

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Has this been mentioned yet?

[​IMG]

Source

Official Site

2. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    What does the Wii U deluxe set usually cost in America?

Still if the Wind Waker HD bundle is also for less then this is good news for the Wii U, could give the system a much needed boost.

3. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Welp. Time to throw money about.

4. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    About $50 cheaper then the normal price. Hell who knows, it might actually help out, since it'll make it $100 less then Ps4, and $200 less then Xbone.

EZ-Megaman and xwatchmanx like this.
  5. GameWinner
    OP

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    It was $350.

6. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Hey wait... *zooms in at bottom corner*
    Mario party 3DS and Zelda 3DS have release dates :O
    SNEAKY BASTARDS.

EZ-Megaman, Chary and Maxternal like this.
  7. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    It's about time I brought a Wii U... or PS4 or extra 3DS... damn you gaming industry.

blinkzane likes this.
  8. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I guess 11/22 is a good date for Nintendo lovers, both the new 3DS Zelda and Mario 3D World coming out that day.

9. GameWinner
    OP

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Oh, the Wind Waker bundle does not include a physical copy of the game. It comes with a download code similar to the Walking Dead Vita bundle.

10. Windaga

Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    New England
    Hyrule Historia AND Wind Waker HD AND a price drop?

I prefer my games physical but...

11. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Hell yeah, price was the only thing keeping some of my friends/family from buying a Wii U.

12. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    so, this was their plan all along, sell the console by itself at a higher price for the first year while there was no "next gen" competition and then, BAM, when the other consoles are about to come out, shout "cheaper bundles for the holidays" from the rooftops

What's next? only "ambassadors" get to have GameCube Virtual Console?

In all seriousness, though, this could actually do the trick and save the console.

blinkzane and Ray Lewis like this.
  13. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    Now that's a great bundle.

14. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    This is less a price drop and more a dip.

The effort is nice, Nintendo, but it's going to take much, much more to actually make a dent.

Tom Bombadildo likes this.
  15. ßleck

ßleck Console Peasant

Jun 4, 2013
    Netherlands
    I don't know. Help.
    First a limited edition and now a price drop? Oh yeah sure. I mean just screw the people who support the Wii U and buy the console right away :hateit:

blinkzane likes this.
  16. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    Anyone else thing Nintendo should have DELAYED launch and then have a more powerful system with a bundle like this? Imagine if it was even the latest Mario, or the newest Zelda!! Windwaker HD is interesting but for most of us this is a new take on a game we probably all played the hell out of. Thanks for sharing.

17. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    A limited edition that's cheaper and has a better game and features than the normal set*? Wow...I bet this'll be sold out before it's even publicly sold. :blink:

No clue why they're making it a limited set, though.

Gahars: 50 less bucks and a lot more bang for it, and you're calling it a dip? Sorry, man. But I'll have to disagree on this.

*not that nintendoland was in any way bad, but compared to Zelda there's not much competition

mrnintendo15 and Arm73 like this.
  18. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

So once the limited set ends, does the price drop suddenly go back up or is the drop permanent?

19. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

In practical terms, $50 really isn't that much of a drop, especially when it will only be $100 less than one of its competitors. If you want to position yourself as the cheap alternative to your competition, you need to actually make yourself the "cheap" alternative.

Nintendo already tried selling a $300 Wii U and, well, here we are now. Throwing in a different game (plus, remember, this isn't a brand new Zelda but a remake of a 10 year old title - the hype just isn't going to be the same) plus extra features is nice, but is it really enough to sway consumers? Was John Q. Public holding out just because he wanted a 32 gb harddrive? Really? I don't know about you, but I sincerely doubt it. The number on the price tag is going to have a much more immediate impact than the bullet points on the box.

Is lowering the price tag a good idea? Of course. I'm sure it'll help a little bit, maybe convince a few fence-sitters here and there. Is it a game changer, though? Nope. If Nintendo wants to change the system's trajectory, it's going to take something much more significant - a full measure, rather than this half one.

wrettcaughn and GameWinner like this.
  20. Bobbybangin

Bobbybangin GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    $50 is historically the norm when it comes to your average price drop for consoles. Nobody really ever does more than that, especially on a newer console. There's going to be a lot of people that the $100 for the PS4 and $200 for the Xbox One price difference is going to be a significant deciding factor for. Nintendo knows that. This is on par with what they've always done in the past. In fact, I predicted the price drop during closer to the fall of this year a year ago and have stuck to it ever since. I don't think anybody is going to beat Sony in sales this gen, but this move will keep Nintendo in the hunt.

The work Nintendo has done recently to boost Wii U sales has hardly been a half measure. Their 'Unity' and 'Nintendo Web Framework' has essentially dumbed down the developing process for the Wii U. Not to mention the new, easier programming languages Nintendo has made available to developers such as Javascript, CSS, and HTML5. They have been on a massive promoting campaign as well. Let's also not forget the plethora of games set to be released for the platform. Nintendo is set to release 8 first party titles within a year. Some developers are lucky to release one title every two years. You have to look at the whole picture, and not the just the price drop alone, before you can say Nintendo is doing a half measure.

Arm73 and Geren like this.