Nintendo announces the Nintendo Switch Lite

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Daisy, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    Nintendo is very dim with ideas at the moment.

they need a Lite Switch.

B-)

ba dum tsss.

2. Condarkness_XY

Condarkness_XY GBAtemp Regular

Apr 23, 2018
    United States
    Where I want to be
    ...So they made it smaller, but no docking or joycons. Isn't the switch supposed to be a hybrid console? Did making it smaller really take the ability to be docked or have removable joycons out? This is essentially the vita with more game support.

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That's not what I meant. I said that I don't see why it wouldn't work, provided the signal is on the connector. You can soft lock anything.

4. wurstpistole

wurstpistole I got 8 warning points

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Since they will most definitely have any of the existing flaws patched out, I doubt the fw version will matter.

5. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    your more likely be able to charge it in the dock as well as it comes with it's own mini dock to charge it using the notch on the back. unless the release it with no charging station...yeah but they have NEVER done anything like that before :creep:

6. Obveron

Obveron GBAtemp Fan

Jul 5, 2010
    Canada
    I still don't own a switch. I don't understand how the right thumbstick can be comfortable without some sort of angled grip.

7. natron

natron Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2015
    United States
    The Nintendo Switch Lite also features a battery life of 3-7 hours, a slight improvement over the original's 2.5-6.5 hours.

8. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja Toying with my mind

Aug 25, 2014
    United Kingdom
    On his bed
    Smaller cooler maybe? Could be thermal constraints but it's using a more efficient Tegra X1 revision so it's possible.

9. FEF1

FEF1 GBATemp’s very own Toaster

Aug 22, 2018
    United States
    Someplace
    I'm calling it now. These will be fully patched against the deja vu exploit, and be on a higher firmware than 8.0.0.

10. Obveron

Obveron GBAtemp Fan

Jul 5, 2010
    Canada
    I hope the pro is a more powerful non-mobile console to keep prices down. I don't need portable.

11. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp's Official Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    For all the people complaining, the original switch model is not like to be discontinued or something ya'know? If you like to play on TV then just buy that.
    This is clearly aimed to people that want a switch for an affordable price or just want to play on the go. Different market targets, different choices, and everyone is happy.

For me, I'm most interested in the screen type, I want to know if it has improved in some way, despite my the current switch screen nice look, there are definitely better panels out there.

mesakagi, Treeko and Red771 like this.
  12. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Ooh, dinky. It's not for me, but there's obviously a market for it, I'm sure it's gonna sell great.

13. jakkal

jakkal GBAtemp Addict

Apr 27, 2018
    United States
    That's why it's cheaper...

Tarmfot, Red771, Dartz150 and 2 others like this.
  14. Pleng

Pleng Custom Title

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    That "promo" video really confused me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but here's what I saw:

1. A list of all the advantages in Switchablity of the original machine, followed by a comment basically saying "the lite doesn't do any of that"
    2. An advert showing off what the original machine can do and further highlighting the fact that the lite isn't able to do so
    3. A short summary reminding the viewer about all the things that the new machine can't do compared to the original, and also advising that to play some games you'll need to purchase separate controllers

Did I miss anything? What marketing department approved that kind of video??

DarthDub, kekoroto, Red771 and 5 others like this.
  15. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    The switch is hardly expensive and you can play on the go anyway - you can't defend shit like this

16. PRAGMA

PRAGMA GBAtemp Addict

Dec 29, 2015
    Ireland
    CONS:
    - No detachable joycons, impossible to repair joycons without voiding warranty
    - No HDMI to TV output yet it can support it easily
    - No tabletop mode and games supporting it need a 2nd pair of joycons
    - Its not longer a "Switch" its name means literally nothing now
    - No HD rumble or IR
    - Smaller Screen
    - Cant adjust brightness
    - No kickstand
    - No ethernet cable support/adapter
    - No external usb/hdd support/adapter
    - No dock
    - Speakers covered by the bottom of your Palm
    - No bluetooth

PROS:
    - $100 cheaper
    - Dpad
    - Claims better battery
    - Claims it weighs a noticable amount less

Last edited by PRAGMA, Jul 10, 2019
    Tarmfot and atoxique like this.
  17. ROMANREIGNS599

ROMANREIGNS599 GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2017
    United States
    Once, I got banned because of you:sad:

18. Eddypikachu

Eddypikachu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 25, 2015
    United States
    Online games are gonna get muuuuuuch laggier now that there'll be an even greater abundance of people without ethernet

Last edited by Eddypikachu, Jul 10, 2019
  19. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    They're hoping it will increase sales of Joycons and entice people into buying the more expensive hardware... I don't know...

Tarmfot and Pleng like this.
  20. diggeloid

diggeloid Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2019
    United States
    I don't know how the Switch hub works internally, but I know it has USB, ethernet, and HDMI ports. If the hardware for that isn't in the hub itself but rather on the switch, then it's possible they cut that out from the lite to save costs. Alternatively, the cooling isn't great on the lite and can't play at the higher resolutions and/or framerates you'd get from a docked original switch?

Or maybe they just didn't want to deal with support requests from people who bought the hub but didn't buy a controller?