Nintendo announces the Nintendo Switch Lite

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Daisy, Jul 10, 2019.

1. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja Toying with my mind

Aug 25, 2014
    United Kingdom
    On his bed
    Except the mini isn't an upgrade? They clearly marketed it as the step down product.
    And I hardly think the name means anything to the company as they want to make the most money possible out of Pokemon SWSH, if anything this feels like a natural flow as a good chunk of people use the Switch as a handheld only. It's not about being unique it's about filling holes in the market, and the 3DS is leaving a pretty huge one (Which yes, is shrinking but is still large enough for at least 20 million new switch lite owners within the next year)

This focus on being "unique" is what has fucked Nintendo many times over, they kept it simple with the Switch with one major gimmick that was actually useful to the majority of the consumer base. None of us are going to miss not playing 1-2 Switch and arguably the people who care about Super Mario Party already own a Switch. Nintendo need to focus on keeping things simple for the consumer and making sure they know what they're purchasing. We don't need another Wii U gamepad with a fucking camera and sensor bar on the top that was basically never used except for vWii and that shitty wii u chat app. No dev gave a shit about any of the Switch's features other than motion and HD rumble, labo was a flop so the IR camera will definitely not be missed.

NanashiFinal13 likes this.
  2. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D

3. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    LoL at all the "Nintendo would never make a non-switching Switch." Is it stupid? Sure. But a very different question from whether Nintendo the 2DS company would ever do it.

The biggest fail I see here is that those analog sticks look exactly like the joycons. That's both obnoxious in the pocket and likely the same cheap internal mechanism that is going to fail within a few months. And it's going to be far more expensive to replace if you don't feel like opening the thing up.

I don't like the 5.5 inch screen either, even BotW is going to be unreadable, but maybe it will force devs to start actually paying attention to portable UIs so we get something legible on the 6.2 inch model.

In a sane world Nintendo would release some official Joycons with that same d-pad.... but this is Nintendo.

Last edited by Rahkeesh, Jul 10, 2019
    Red771 and Captain_Smek like this.
  4. TheDarkGreninja

Aug 25, 2014
    United Kingdom
    On his bed
    imo it looks fine, but to each their own. (I won't be buying it either way because I already have a Switch so it doesn't affect me personally.)

NanashiFinal13 likes this.
  5. Darth Meteos

Darth Meteos Entertainer

GBAtemp Patron
    Darth Meteos is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Down Under
    1) being unique is bad for nintendo
    2) switch's uniqueness was good

Tarmfot likes this.
  6. chrisisx

chrisisx GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2014
    Singapore
    Singapore
    Unless they redesign the controller analog stick then will be good. If not then in just 3 to 6 months the horrible drifting issue will start happening and since the controller is not removable then you need to buy the whole unit again. This is a waste of money.

Captain_Smek likes this.
  7. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    this is weird

8. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    you watch in 6 months after they release this they will announce the switch lite XL with a bigger screen :lol:

Tarmfot likes this.
  9. TheDarkGreninja

Aug 25, 2014
    United Kingdom
    On his bed
    I didn't say being unique was bad, I said the focus on trying to be different is what has fucked them many times over. That's a fact.

At the very least don't read half of my sentences lmao.

10. shaunj66

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    No interest in a handheld only Switch. However, wake me up when Nintendo announce the Switch Pro!

11. Mohammed2935

Mohammed2935 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 4, 2018
    Kuwait
    This
    I already have two, one for online gaming and the second one for ROMs. However, I didn't finish any of the game roms hehe.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You already have the PRO version lol.

ELY_M likes this.
  12. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    its probably unlikely they gave this a bit more power and permanent boost mode to make sure handheld runs smoothly, no tv out seems like a bad idea too, i guess battery is still the same...
    controls are still cramped together which is kinda surprising. it made sense for the removable joycons, but there is no reason why the - button is still stuck so close to the stick or why there isnt a bit more space between the right stick and the buttons.
    they'd really have to cut the price to like 199 or less for this to fly...

13. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    his talking about the pro X version :creep:

14. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    :rolleyes::rofl2::switch:

15. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    note that it has a guiding notch at the back still. who knows, maybe there will be a dock for it after all

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Looks like a worse version of the original to me, although it's always nice to see budget options. Personally I'll wait for a Switch Pro, or however the updated revision is going to be called.

TheDarkGreninja and shaunj66 like this.
  17. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    more likely to connect to it's charger station

18. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I don't see why it wouldn't be dockable if it has USB-C just like the original. The signal is there, it's just the form factor that's different.

19. NoNAND

NoNAND Just a GBAtemper thriving in his natural habitat

Aug 22, 2015
    Antarctica
    DinohScene's Discord Server
    relevant at this point. With all the rumors abd talk behind this it was bound to happen sometime.
    Good to see it comes with a standard D-Pad rather then the weird directional buttons as found on a regular switch.

20. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    it says it's not compatible