Nintendo announces the Nintendo Switch Lite

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Daisy, Jul 10, 2019.

1. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron
    WhiteMaze is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 16, 2013
    Portugal
    The battery is 20%-30% longer with a smaller screen? By golly we've struck the scientific breakthrough of the year!

Sorry but had to say that.

2. chartube12

chartube12 Captain Chaz 86

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Nintendo of America filed for a change of SoC type and change of ram type with the FCC. This change is for the original size model. This is in additional to the fcc filing for the Switch Lite.

It may be safe to assume both models are having the updated (upgraded?) internals. The NS Lite not being Dock compatible must be a software limitation.

Last edited by chartube12, Jul 10, 2019
    Silent_Gunner and Rahkeesh like this.
  3. IP60

IP60 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2018
    Canada
    no tv out no buy

4. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    All of you saying that it can't use the tv and aren't buying it do you already own a switch? Would you really have bought the lite if it could? Always wonder if people are genuinely upset or are just hivemind complaining

5. Missingphy

Missingphy Pokémon Master, Console Bricker, and more...

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    Remember that to make profit you need to sell your items for more than they took to be manufactured, and knowing Nintendo that is why the dock costs $60

6. warweeny

warweeny GBAtemp Regular

Apr 25, 2011
    Netherlands
    it always was a handheld, nintendo fanboys and nintendo them selves were just in denial.

Mobile cpu? check
    Mobile gpu? check
    Mobile memory? check

7. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    IDK that anyone was in denial. It just so happens it has the functionality of a console and the portability of the WiiaBU's Gamepad without an invisible tether to a glorified DVD player. Without the ability to Switch, it makes buying a new one of these for anyone who's life isn't on an airplane all the time or something to that effect a hard sell for their use case if they come to a home consistently every day like yours truly here now that he's done with college.

It's all about options, and I for one find the Switch Lite to not have as many options as the OG Switch. Plus, who knows about what the hackability of the Lite is gonna be?

Josshy0125 likes this.
  8. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2018
    Togo
    This is like taking away all the stuffs that made the switch unique and just turned it into a generic handheld.

yadspi and Silent_Gunner like this.
  9. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    A very powerful handheld, but still not the top of its class compared to something like the GPD WIN series.

10. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Which is exactly what a lot of people were asking for. Switch Lite is to Switch as N2DS is to N3DS. It makes sense to have a portable-only revision now that Nintendo is the only major player in the portable console market. OTOH I don't think it would make any sense to have a stationary-only revision with a mobile chip, especially since Shield TV already exists. Nintendo might surprise me again though.

Takeshi, gamefan5 and Josshy0125 like this.
  11. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Missing rumble could have been overlooked if it's supported in the wireless Joy-Con or Pro controllers.

What this needs is an aftermarket video capture card or mini HDMI conversion hardmod.

12. YOUCANTSTOPME

YOUCANTSTOPME GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2012
    Canada
    in yo mind
    Sexy little console. Very cool.

Personally when I get a Switch, I want one that can be docked. But this is still cool.

13. Darth Meteos

Darth Meteos Entertainer

GBAtemp Patron
    Darth Meteos is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Down Under
    That's the point. They won't make games exclusively for the old modular Switch anymore, because it's only half a market.

14. yadspi

yadspi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    Yes, I love playing on tv but hate the handheld, I feel the rattling of the joycons, hate the buttons for a dpad and it’s a tad to big for carrying it around, add to that the short battery life. So yes, I was very much in love till the no tv out

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It makes sense but why not sell a lite dock separately or and adapter for the current one or just a usbc to hdmi cable?

15. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    My theory is that they're saving on cost by using low-binned X1 chips in Switch Lite, and they didn't want to cap docked mode at portable mode performance levels.

Last edited by Xzi, Jul 11, 2019
    Takeshi and yadspi like this.
  16. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States

That's all some people want though.
    Want a full-featured Switch instead? They sell that too.

Xzi likes this.
  17. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    I wont be getting this. The regular switch is portable enough for me. i rarely take it on the go. Now if they would have given it more power so it works faster then a docked switch then id think about it.

18. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    You said "Switch Lite with a gimped size screen." I rest my case.

19. LucasM3

LucasM3 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2019
    Canada
    Hopefully this thing will get hacked and someone will figure out how to enable video out from USB C using an HDMI cable of some sort. I hope they don't just make USB C a charge only port of some sort. If it won't be possible I hope banned switches and refurbished systems continue to drop in price $275 canadian for a refurbished switch is still a little high because the new lite switches are going to sell for $260 here.

Last edited by LucasM3, Jul 11, 2019
  20. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    If it gets hacked I'll eat one

zoogie likes this.