Nintendo announces the Nintendo Switch Lite

After months of rumours and leaks, Nintendo have finally confirmed the existence of the Nintendo Switch Lite. It's a device dedicated to handheld play, rather than the usual hybrid nature of the Nintendo Switch. It releases on the 20th of September It will come in three different colours at launch—yellow, grey, and blue. Nintendo states that it supports all Nintendo Switch software that allows handheld play.[prebreak][/prebreak]

In addition to the three colours of Nintendo Switch Lite available at launch, Nintendo will release a limited Nintendo Switch Lite Zacian & Zamazenta Edition console on 8th November, featuring stylish cyan and magenta buttons and illustrations of the two new Legendary Pokémon from the upcoming Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield games
:arrow: Source
:arrow: More information

Attachments

• switch lite.png
    switch lite.png
    415 KB · Views: 200
  • Swlite.png
    Swlite.png
    85.8 KB · Views: 100

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh. Colors are pretty ugly IMO, gray is ok but the others are too bright for my taste.

The 5.5in screen is also a huge turnoff, too many games already have utterly awful text scaling in handheld mode, gonna need a magnifying glass just to see half the shit on this one.

*Eye screams in MK11 for Switch*

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except the 3DS died when the Switch launched. Haven't touched mine in two full years.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There's already a $20 first-party stand for it.

I want to know if it has a cheaper price, what the size difference is, if any, and if it contains the Mariko chips. And is the battery life any better since there's no HD rumble and possibly a smaller screen?

The battery life is reportedly 20-30% longer lasting from what I've read, though it's game dependent.

Welcome to the Switch that doesn't Switch anymore!

Also you wanted a Switch Pro with more power to play games at higher frame rates? We here at Nintendo HQ take your suggestions and comments very seriously. Your input is very valuable to us and we strive to deliver based on popular demand.

With that said, fuck you.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of Japan

wow, its too big. why can't they make one that will fit in your pocket. that's my whole complaint with the switch.

I kind of agree, but I'm really not so sure how much smaller they'd make it. If it was pocketable, I might be taking the portability-only pill more easily as opposed to joining in the roastfest here! ;)

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At the end of the day, this will be the 2DS of the Switch: smaller without using the main gimmick the system was intended to use, except as opposed to it using a very...dated effect that really only was a thing because of Avatar, this is a vital part of what made the Switch so unique: being able to play on the go and on the TV. While I like that they included an actual d-pad so I can actually play fighting games not named MK11 (with its Adam Orth-approved Always Online badge) on the go, the hackability of this really hurts it, and the battery life improvements, while better than nothing I'm sure, still are probably asking for one to carry a fucking brick in their pocket with cables bunched up to essentially hold the falling rock that is the Switch's battery life while playing the Rocky theme because that's what I picture when I see the Switch's charge cycle when it's not being charged via the dock.

But, if I wanted a d-pad for the Switch, I'd just order two sets of grey Joy-Cons (for both of my Switches, one being clean and the other being hacked), and put some skins on them and maybe the Switches and docks for good measure to make my system stand out because why the fuck not?

D

Deleted User

"As a dedicated handheld gaming device, Nintendo Switch Lite does not support output to a TV."

How much does it cost to add HDMI output? Handheld mode on regular switch sucks so I was hoping to trade in for a mini, but this is a deal breaker

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Welcome to the Switch that doesn't Switch anymore!

Also you wanted a Switch Pro with more power to play games at higher frame rates? We here at Nintendo HQ take your suggestions and comments very seriously. Your input is very valuable to us and we strive to deliver based on popular demand.

With that said, fuck you.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of Japan
The Wall Street Journal rumored both variants, a powered up console and a more portable console. Next year, we'll see the release of the NS Pro. With improved CPU and exclusive games. A la N3DS. Look at the 2DS and New3DS release dates. The original 2DS was released 2 years and a half later than the original 3DS. The New 3DS came out until 4 years later than the original 3DS. The cycle will be repeated. After the NS Pro, it will take one and a half more years, and you'll get the Nintendo Switch Lite XL, a 9" console, but won't be able to connect it to the TV.

It's still too soon to tell people you'll make a better revision of the console with games they won't be able to get in the older revision.

Check the bottom of the page again. Tabletop Mode for Nintendo Switch Lite is greyed out. However, thinking as I type, you may still have a point in that Tabletop Mode may not be so much dependent on hardware as it is on how you can prop the system up. The fact that the Lite supports Joy-Cons already gives it a chance to be used on a table; we just need some sort of stand for it. Perhaps something similar to the Wii U Gamepad stand?
You could actually use the Wii U Gamepad stand.

If you mean for charging while playing I'm pretty sure these stands for tablets will work alright:
https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Angle-Nintendo-Switch-Lamicall-Tablet/dp/B01LZAYH58

Last edited by Olmectron,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Portable-only is a surprise, but I guess it makes more sense to do that instead of limiting docked mode to 720p. Not much about it that appeals to me personally, though, so I'll wait on the Switch Pro revision.

D

Deleted User

provided you can sync joycons without attaching them, they might still allow mario party to be played if they allow an exception for the mini in an update. Just allow mini to be in "tabletop" mode somehow. It's...possible. But not very likely at all.
do you think the switch pro controller will also be compatible
Was it that difficult to add docking capabilities Nintendo? Really? It already has usb C! Come on!
The dock itself is the thing that makes the console expensive. If Nintendo included a dock with each of these new consoles it would only be a downgrade

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The dock itself is the thing that makes the console expensive. If Nintendo included a dock with each of these new consoles it would only be a downgrade
On what planet? The dock is just a basic DP to HDMI converter, some CMOS flash chips, some unknown chip (probably just communicates with the Switch) and a USB controller housed in cheap plastic. It probably costs Nintendo $20 to manufacture the thing, it sure as hell isn't some super expensive component of the Switch as a whole.

D

Deleted User

On what planet? The dock is just a basic DP to HDMI converter, some CMOS flash chips, some unknown chip (probably just communicates with the Switch) and a USB controller housed in cheap plastic. It probably costs Nintendo $20 to manufacture the thing, it sure as hell isn't some super expensive component of the Switch as a whole.
Nintendo sells dock packages here so that is $60 bucks less, and removing the standard joycons and HD rumble and making everything to one piece only takes away $40

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo sells dock packages here so that is $60 bucks less, and removing the standard joycons and he rumble and making everything to one piece only takes away $40
And what does Nintendo's MSRP have to do with anything? The dock still doesn't cost $60 to manufacture, it's not "expensive" for Nintendo to include a $20 hunk of plastic in a bundle when it's Nintendo paying for it. They didn't remove the dock because it's some huge cost saving measure, they removed the dock so they can offer their new standard "gimmick-less" version of their console.

yadspi

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't care if it doesn't come with a dock...just TV-OUT...I'm sad and happy...I wanted one so badly when I saw only the picture without any info but now I don't have to spend money.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the green one and might get it, but still considering waiting it out for the Pro and really wish they'd bring back Atomic Purple.

Reactions: Xzi

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You realize Nintendo won last gen right? Makes more sense to let the switch be the 3ds replacement and release another home console. Microsoft and Sony are about to release ninth generation consoles. Switch is eighth generation just like the Wii U & 3ds. Nintendo would be better off to release a home console with an upgraded tegra since they are already releasing a switch lite.
won last gen lol, for nintendo last gen is wiiu, just becuase you consider wiiu this gen its not the case for nintendo, for nintendo wiiu is last gen and showed people dont want a dedicated homeconsole from them anymore specialy if underpowered, while they won every portable console war ever.

releasing another underpowered home console would just make it flop again, its best being the best portable than the weakest home console, so yeah with switch they get to be the best portable while still holding a part of the home for the dedicated fans that prefer it, releasing a home only version would be a very bad call becuase switch is really underpowered to be a home console only.

Last edited by pedro702,
Reactions: Josshy0125 and Xzi

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, "Switch Home" could use the same parts that the next gen consoles are using.

Anyway, for people asking for even a smaller Switch... eh. People are already complaining about the screen size as it is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning