Nintendo announces the Nintendo Switch Lite

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Daisy, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    right after they release the switch lite XL

2. SSG Vegeta

SSG Vegeta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 25, 2013
    United States
    I know Nintendo said that the Switch Lite can't dock but that won't stop me from trying a usb c to usb c cable with it

3. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    *Eye screams in MK11 for Switch*

4. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    which instantly bricks it :lol:

5. SSG Vegeta

SSG Vegeta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 25, 2013
    United States
    Very funny -_-

6. Silent_Gunner

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    The battery life is reportedly 20-30% longer lasting from what I've read, though it's game dependent.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I kind of agree, but I'm really not so sure how much smaller they'd make it. If it was pocketable, I might be taking the portability-only pill more easily as opposed to joining in the roastfest here! ;)

Bladexdsl likes this.
  7. Bladexdsl
    This message by Bladexdsl has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jul 11, 2019, Reason: Not an imageboard.
    Jul 10, 2019
  8. SSG Vegeta
    This message by SSG Vegeta has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jul 11, 2019, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Jul 10, 2019
  9. Silent_Gunner

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    At the end of the day, this will be the 2DS of the Switch: smaller without using the main gimmick the system was intended to use, except as opposed to it using a very...dated effect that really only was a thing because of Avatar, this is a vital part of what made the Switch so unique: being able to play on the go and on the TV. While I like that they included an actual d-pad so I can actually play fighting games not named MK11 (with its Adam Orth-approved Always Online badge) on the go, the hackability of this really hurts it, and the battery life improvements, while better than nothing I'm sure, still are probably asking for one to carry a fucking brick in their pocket with cables bunched up to essentially hold the falling rock that is the Switch's battery life while playing the Rocky theme because that's what I picture when I see the Switch's charge cycle when it's not being charged via the dock.

But, if I wanted a d-pad for the Switch, I'd just order two sets of grey Joy-Cons (for both of my Switches, one being clean and the other being hacked), and put some skins on them and maybe the Switches and docks for good measure to make my system stand out because why the fuck not?

10. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    On your lap.
    "As a dedicated handheld gaming device, Nintendo Switch Lite does not support output to a TV."

How much does it cost to add HDMI output? Handheld mode on regular switch sucks so I was hoping to trade in for a mini, but this is a deal breaker

WadsRUs, banjo2, yadspi and 1 other person like this.
  11. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Olmectron is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game
    The Wall Street Journal rumored both variants, a powered up console and a more portable console. Next year, we'll see the release of the NS Pro. With improved CPU and exclusive games. A la N3DS. Look at the 2DS and New3DS release dates. The original 2DS was released 2 years and a half later than the original 3DS. The New 3DS came out until 4 years later than the original 3DS. The cycle will be repeated. After the NS Pro, it will take one and a half more years, and you'll get the Nintendo Switch Lite XL, a 9" console, but won't be able to connect it to the TV.

It's still too soon to tell people you'll make a better revision of the console with games they won't be able to get in the older revision.

You could actually use the Wii U Gamepad stand.

If you mean for charging while playing I'm pretty sure these stands for tablets will work alright:
    https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Angle-Nintendo-Switch-Lamicall-Tablet/dp/B01LZAYH58

Last edited by Olmectron, Jul 10, 2019
    WhiteMaze and HarvHouHacker like this.
  12. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Portable-only is a surprise, but I guess it makes more sense to do that instead of limiting docked mode to 720p. Not much about it that appeals to me personally, though, so I'll wait on the Switch Pro revision.

13. Missingphy

Missingphy Pokémon Master, Console Bricker, and more...

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    do you think the switch pro controller will also be compatible
    The dock itself is the thing that makes the console expensive. If Nintendo included a dock with each of these new consoles it would only be a downgrade

14. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo SkyTom

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    On what planet? The dock is just a basic DP to HDMI converter, some CMOS flash chips, some unknown chip (probably just communicates with the Switch) and a USB controller housed in cheap plastic. It probably costs Nintendo $20 to manufacture the thing, it sure as hell isn't some super expensive component of the Switch as a whole.

WadsRUs, DarthDub and Xzi like this.
  15. Missingphy

Missingphy Pokémon Master, Console Bricker, and more...

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    Nintendo sells dock packages here so that is $60 bucks less, and removing the standard joycons and HD rumble and making everything to one piece only takes away $40

16. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It's likely they're getting the price down just by using the leftover X1 chips that can't hit the required clock speed for docked mode. Also by having the joycons fixed to it.

osaka35 likes this.
  17. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo SkyTom

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    And what does Nintendo's MSRP have to do with anything? The dock still doesn't cost $60 to manufacture, it's not "expensive" for Nintendo to include a $20 hunk of plastic in a bundle when it's Nintendo paying for it. They didn't remove the dock because it's some huge cost saving measure, they removed the dock so they can offer their new standard "gimmick-less" version of their console.

FateForWindows, WadsRUs and Xzi like this.
  18. yadspi

yadspi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    I don't care if it doesn't come with a dock...just TV-OUT...I'm sad and happy...I wanted one so badly when I saw only the picture without any info but now I don't have to spend money.

19. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    I like the green one and might get it, but still considering waiting it out for the Pro and really wish they'd bring back Atomic Purple.

Xzi likes this.
  20. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    won last gen lol, for nintendo last gen is wiiu, just becuase you consider wiiu this gen its not the case for nintendo, for nintendo wiiu is last gen and showed people dont want a dedicated homeconsole from them anymore specialy if underpowered, while they won every portable console war ever.

releasing another underpowered home console would just make it flop again, its best being the best portable than the weakest home console, so yeah with switch they get to be the best portable while still holding a part of the home for the dedicated fans that prefer it, releasing a home only version would be a very bad call becuase switch is really underpowered to be a home console only.

Last edited by pedro702, Jul 10, 2019
    Josshy0125 and Xzi like this.
  21. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    To be fair, "Switch Home" could use the same parts that the next gen consoles are using.

Anyway, for people asking for even a smaller Switch... eh. People are already complaining about the screen size as it is.

22. JazzCat.CL

JazzCat.CL GBAtemp Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Chile
    So... with this different colors means that new themes are pretty much confirmed, right?