Nintendo announces the New 2DS XL

Coming out of absolutely nowhere, Nintendo has revealed a new variation of the 2DS...the New 2DS XL! The system features a top screen that looks almost like a cell phone snapped onto the bottom of a 3DS. It has the extra processing power of the N3DS, amiibo functionality, and the C-stick nub, while, just like the original 2DS, omits the 3D feature of the handheld. The New 2DS XL will release on July 28, and retail for $149.99.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot to mention, seeing how Nintendo is so adamant on steering clear away from the 3D effect, the original 2DS and the now, New 2DS XL really goes to show they just don't care about 3D anymore - or ever. It was purely just a gimmick to sell 3DS at launch.

The 3D effect was just dumb, when people used it it was only for cutscenes and not actual game play. If people used it for actual game play it just hurt people's eyes. It was never used, I have no idea why they didn't do this years ago.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Im going to wait until the Super New Nintendo 1DS XL U comes out.

Believe me guys, it will be under $50 with Monster Hunter Generations X-2 Portable Infinity pre installed if you Switch it for your old one.

Last edited by WhiteMaze,

spiderman1216

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I saw this in my youtube feed and freaked out! This looks way sexier in terms of hardware design and seems to have a bigger screen. But overall this is a stupid move. First off they are basically are competing with their own new hybird the switch. Second off, nobody wanted this. Third off, it makes no sense to make this. The point of the 2ds is to be the dirt cheap model that a kid could buy with their allowence or a parent could buy for there kid. 150 is not dirt cheap when compared to the new 3ds xl model which is only 50 dollers more so you might as well by the new 3dsxl model.
I heavily disagree

1. The Switch and 3DS are two different things, they don't compete in the same market, the Switch is a console that has handheld capabilites, the 2DS XL is a New 3DS XL without the 2D and plays different games.

2. I wanted it, there are people that wanted a cheaper way to play New 3DS games, no 3D, and larger screens this honestly is what the 3DS should have just been in my opinion.

3. The New 3DS XL model also has 3D attached to it, so this is for those that don't want to pay the extra 50 for a feature they don't use.
The 2DS will still have it's place, this is more of a premium model.

D

Deleted User

Looks nice and I sorta wanna buy one, but it's an XL which kinda sucks, they're too big for my hands. Of course, it'll probably be lighter (and maybe a little bit smaller) which would make them less of a pain in the ass to use, but still.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

The 3D effect was just dumb, when people used it it was only for cutscenes and not actual game play. If people used it for actual game play it just hurt people's eyes. It was never used, I have no idea why they didn't do this years ago.
Every time I tried the 3D effect on a 3DS whether it was the Original 3DS or a New 3DS I just never noticed what was so appealing or great about it. Maybe my eyes aren't built for this technology per say.

Gizametalman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I forgot to mention, seeing how Nintendo is so adamant on steering clear away from the 3D effect, the original 2DS and the now, New 2DS XL really goes to show they just don't care about 3D anymore - or ever. It was purely just a gimmick to sell 3DS at launch.

Even with the 3D, many games didn't made it well. Except for Star Fox, Colors! and a few others.
I don't know it my sight is starting to fail me, but from many games that I've played with the 3D effect on the effect went completely "un-sighted" for me.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
Every time I tried the 3D effect on a 3DS whether it was the Original 3DS or a New 3DS I just never noticed what was so appealing or great about it. Maybe my eyes aren't built for this technology per say.
I actually quite liked the 3D effect, especially on the 3D Classic gamss

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In all honesty I'd be happy if they kept the 3DS in current form around. We dont need Nintendo cannibalizing the Switch with another portable almost as powerful as it. BTW this means more possible Switch/3DS games and even more games to play on Citra for us late bloomers! :D

spiderman1216

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In all honesty I'd be happy if they kept the 3DS in current form around. We dont need Nintendo cannibalizing the Switch with another portable almost as powerful as it. BTW this means more possible Switch/3DS games and even more games to play on Citra for us late bloomers! :D
I don't see how this cannibalizes the Switch market in the slightest they are two completely different devices, for two completely different markets. The Nintendo Switch is competing with the PS4, and Xbox One.
The 2DS XL is just giving an option to those that aren't interested in buying a Switch in the first place, want to play New 3DS games, don't care about 3D, and want a larger screen.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see how this cannibalizes the Switch market in the slightest they are two completely different devices, for two completely different markets. The Nintendo Switch is competing with the PS4, and Xbox One.
The 2DS XL is just giving an option to those that aren't interested in buying a Switch in the first place, want to play New 3DS games, don't care about 3D, and want a larger screen.

I never said that the new 2DS cannibalizes the Switch. I DID say that a portable more powerful than the new 3DS will because, it will get closer to Switch territory and it's not like the Switch is that much more powerful than the Wii U

spiderman1216

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I never said that the new 2DS cannibalizes the Switch. I DID say that a portable more powerful than the new 3DS will because, it will get closer to Switch territory and it's not like the Switch is that much more powerful than the Wii U
Wait why would Nintendo announce a device more powerful than the New 3DS nvm misread your comment sorry. Though it really depends on the games, not just the power. If it's more powerful than the New 3DS XL, but only plays 3DS/New 3DS it's not that big of a deal.

Gizametalman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
To be honest, I think this will be a nice upgrade for me. My 3DS will be 6 years old next month, I think...

BUT REMEMBER SOMETHING.

This new system is from the past generation. So if anyone buys this, then expect Nintendo to announce a NEW generation Handheld system.

Also, does anyone knows about backwards compatibility with DS Games?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night