• Views 69,618
  • Replies 658
  • Likes 4

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also the hinge is the main thing that gets these things to break with kids. I have 6 kids and have had about many broken DS shells and they always break around the hinge. I have had maybe 5 or 6 broken ones.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I really wish it was April 1st because this thing is never going to sell.
It's like a less portable version of the 3DS, I get that, some people don't like playing on small screens. But why in the fuck did they have to remove the 3D function? There is a way to disable it for a reason, so they can please everyone.
And the design looks like it's meant to be played on a table, but it doesn't seem that way in the video. It doesn't even look comfortable to hold.
The guy who designed this needs to be fired (hell, the entire team that were working on this), but I can't believe Nintendo actually accepted this design.

This is the worst 3rd revision of a Nintendo console ever. Well, they did say they weren't gonna make a 3DS Lite. So I guess they thought they would make a 3DS 2DS Huge instead.

Jeez, it's even bigger than the Wii U gamepad (which is really comfortable to hold, so they should've gone with that design), and that worries me.

Jerret Douglass

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So instead of breaking the hinge they can just scratch the screens to hell. In either event goodbye handheld.

The system comes with a carry case, whenever the system is not in use you just put it inside the case, easy as that.

I really wish it was April 1st because this thing is never going to sell.
It's like a less portable version of the 3DS, I get that, some people don't like playing on small screens. But why in the fuck did they have to remove the 3D function? There is a way to disable it for a reason, so they can please everyone.
And the design looks like it's meant to be played on a table, but it doesn't seem that way in the video. It doesn't even look comfortable to hold.
The guy who designed this needs to be fired (hell, the entire team that were working on this), but I can't believe Nintendo actually accepted this design.

This is the worst 3rd revision of a Nintendo console ever. Well, they did say they weren't gonna make a 3DS Lite. So I guess they thought they would make a 3DS 2DS Huge instead.

It's like you didn't even watch the reveal video. They removed 3D function because this handheld is for younger kids and the 3D function is dangerous for young kids. If they still put in the 3D function then the price would go up and there is a chance a young kid would turn it on. Also this design looks way more comfortable than the current clam shell. Clam shell devices are always when to hold because of the shape and the way the top screen sits. This system is almost a round square where you fingers rest comfortably curved around to the L and R button on top. You ignorant people need to realize this is for kids. No clam shell because kids ruin the top screen all the time, cheaper, no 3D (safer) and sturdy design so kids don't fuck them up. This thing will sell well because those are the things parents look for when buying something for their kid.

Reactions: Deleted-236924
D

Deleted User

I see it being pretty good for the younger crowd to be honest
It's quite a smart move imho, even though it's shit ugly, kids will get used to it and move onto the bigger 3DS when they feel ready, and it's got that Lexibook old-style new kid-friendly tablet feel about it.

Only downside (and it's a big one)... either only really paranoid parents about 3D will buy it, or really cash-strapped ones, and i can't see your average 6 year old iPad freemium gaming addict say "Mum, can you buy me a 2DS please!" If anything they're gonna want a 3DS anyways

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The system comes with a carry case, whenever the system is not in use you just put it inside the case, easy as that.

And when you want to use the system, you must shove the carry case into:
1. a pocket
2. a bag
3. just throw it on the floor, buy a new one at the end of the day!

---

Just for laughs:

With that carry case, you can also choose to put 2 Normal 3DS inside, for multiplayer use! /sarcasm

fojacko

Trophies
XP
Country
Welp, it appears I fell into a coma and have woken up on April 1st 2014...

*checks pc date*

Oh lord, what have you created Nintendo? More to the point why did you create it looking like this?

Serious note though - I can see why they didn't go for the clam shell design, literally everyone I knew who's child/younger brother or sister owned a ds lite had broken the hinge. Kids drop stuff and this is probably the easiest/cheapest way to fix it. It's not intended for people who wanted a 3ds without 3d, it's intended for children, however it better have some sort of screen protection, if it doesn't that screen will get scratched to shit.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's like you didn't even watch the reveal video. They removed 3D function because this handheld is for younger kids and the 3D function is dangerous for young kids. If they still put in the 3D function then the price would go up and there is a chance a young kid would turn it on. Also this design looks way more comfortable than the current clam shell. Clam shell devices are always when to hold because of the shape and the way the top screen sits. This system is almost a round square where you fingers rest comfortably curved around to the L and R button on top. You ignorant people need to realize this is for kids. No clam shell because kids ruin the top screen all the time, cheaper, no 3D (safer) and sturdy design so kids don't fuck them up. This thing will sell well because those are the things parents look for when buying something for their kid.
I just did, and that's why I'm posting. There are parental controls to disable the 3D effect permanently, so that's no excuse. The price would not go up that much and this is probably going to be more expensive than the 3DS XL anyway.
The DS lite had an inherent flaw with the hinge. That wasn't a fault of the kids, but the 3DS doesn't seem to share that flaw and I haven't heard of any kids destroying theirs yet. This is probably more sturdy, but honestly, you shouldn't be buying an expensive handheld for your kid if he's likely to break it.

Clam shell devices are not that comfortable I agree, but I honestly think they could've done better than make a device that is mostly square, and I don't understand why it's so much thicker on one end.
The Wii U gamepad had it right, it has a L/R grip that is very comfortable to the hands no matter what size your hands are, and has a rounded bottom to accommodate your hands perfectly. The only part of this that's rounded are the corners, and that doesn't help a whole lot.

This might sell to people who complained the 3DS screen looked worse with 3D off. And maybe to stupid parents who don't realize you can disable the 3D effect with parental controls, but that's pretty much it.
I don't believe the whole thing about it being harmful to kids either. That hasn't been proven yet. It's just an assumption.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So much hate for this thing. It is misguided.

I think this is brilliant. It is an entry level device, it is much cheaper. Dumping 3D and the clamshell design make it cheaper to produce.

There are tons of parents who will see this for $130 and get it for the kids who would not buy a $250-$170 3DS.

This is way better than Sony with their gimped PSP model....this thing is not really dropping any features...it is not gimped. It plays everything a 3DS does (only lose 3D and many don't want the 3D anyway and one speaker instead of 2).

This paves the way for 3DS to come near the levels of success of the DS.

fojacko

Trophies
XP
Country
I just did, and that's why I'm posting. There are parental controls to disable the 3D effect permanently, so that's no excuse. The price would not go up that much and this is probably going to be more expensive than the 3DS XL anyway.
The DS lite had an inherent flaw with the hinge. That wasn't a fault of the kids, but the 3DS doesn't seem to share that flaw and I haven't heard of any kids destroying theirs yet. This is probably more sturdy, but honestly, you shouldn't be buying an expensive handheld for your kid if he's likely to break it.

This might sell to people who complained the 3DS screen looked worse with 3D off. And maybe to stupid parents who don't realize you can disable the 3D effect with parental controls, but that's pretty much it.
I don't believe the whole thing about it being harmful to kids either. That hasn't been proven yet. It's just an assumption.

3DS XL = £165
2DS = £110
(prices in the UK on game.co.uk)

Yeah.... No.

Friendly reminder, in the future do research before posting a reply.

Jerret Douglass

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You definitely didn't watch the video because if you did you would know that this is going to cost $130 not even close to a 3DS XL.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
3DS XL = £165
2DS = £110
(prices in the UK on game.co.uk)

Yeah.... No.

Friendly reminder, in the future do research before posting a reply.
I didn't see them mention the price of this thing anywhere. And I don't live in UK, so you can't exactly expect me to randomly check for prices which should have been announced in the video if they were already known.
That price is probably tentative, as Nintendo haven't announced the price themselves. Preorder sites do that. With much bigger screens I can't imagine it being cheaper.

But no matter what audience they intend it for it's just really badly designed. It's clunky, it's ugly, and it doesn't look comfortable at all. No amount of marketing BS can change that. I really don't think this will sell.

You definitely didn't watch the video because if you did you would know that this is going to cost $130 not even close to a 3DS XL.
I did not see a price mentioned anywhere in that video. Either way, this won't sell.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I find it rather silly that this is getting so much hate. It's a new, cheaper option for people who want to buy Pokemon X/Y and have yet to buy a 3DS, with a screen that's safe for children and doesn't have a hinge that could potentially break. This is an appealing option for some people. For those that don't like it: don't buy it. Simple.

fojacko

Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't see them mention the price of this thing anywhere. And I don't live in UK, so you can't exactly expect me to randomly check for prices which should have been announced in the video if they were already known.
That price is probably tentative, as Nintendo haven't announced the price themselves. Preorder sites do that. With much bigger screens I can't imagine it being cheaper.

But no matter what audience they intend it for it's just really badly designed. It's clunky, it's ugly, and it doesn't look comfortable at all. No amount of marketing BS can change that. I really don't think this will sell.

I did not see a price mentioned anywhere in that video. Either way, this won't sell.

2nd sentence in source, also it's not difficult to type "2DS Price" into google. Hell for me it's news article that's larger than everything else and states "News: Nintendo 2DS price - GAME selling for £109.99".

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very creative Nintendo

181148-triple_facepalm_super.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.