Nintendo announces Labo VR Kit for the Switch

dims.jpg

Nintendo has more plans for Labo, it appears, with the company having just announced the Labo VR Kit for the Nintendo Switch. It'll launch fairly soon, on April 12th, featuring five new cardboard creations; the Blaster, Camera, Elephant, Bird, and Wind Pedal, alongside the Toy-Con VR Goggles. There will be two versions available, the full kit, which will cost $79.99 and offer everything, or a more simple starter set, which will retail for a cheaper $39.99, and only come with the goggles and blaster.

Experience a new dimension of Nintendo Labo with the launch of the Nintendo Labo: VR Kit on April 12, which combines the innovative physical and digital gameplay of Nintendo Labo with basic VR technology* to create a simple and shareable virtual reality experience for kids and families. Nintendo Labo: VR Kit is the fourth kit in the Nintendo Labo series, providing the tools to make DIY cardboard creations called Toy-Con; play a variety of games with these creations; and discover how Nintendo Switch technology brings it all to life.

Nintendo Labo: VR Kit offers six new Toy-Con creations to build, including the Toy-Con VR Goggles, which combine with the other creations to allow players to interact with the virtual world through imaginative real-world actions. Fend off an alien invasion with the Toy-Con Blaster, visit a colorful in-game ocean and snap photos of the sea life with the Toy-Con Camera and so much more.

Nintendo Labo: VR Kit encourages passing around the Toy-Con creations among a group of people so everyone in the room can easily join in on the fun. To help encourage this social gameplay, players simply slip the Nintendo Switch console into the Toy-Con VR Goggles and hold it up to their eyes to explore numerous games and experiences – no head strap needed.

“This new kit builds on the core tenets of Nintendo Labo – Make, Play and Discover – to introduce virtual reality in a way that’s fun and approachable for both kids and kids at heart,” said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “We wanted to design an experience that encourages both virtual and real-world interactions among players through passing around Toy-Con creations.”

Nintendo Labo: VR Kit will launch in retail stores with two primary configurations, one that includes all Toy-Con creations and one that includes a smaller selection of projects to get started:

Nintendo Labo: VR Kit: Available at a suggested retail price of $79.99, the complete Nintendo Labo: VR Kit includes the Nintendo Switch software and materials to build all six Toy-Con projects – the Toy-Con VR Goggles, Toy-Con Blaster, Toy-Con Camera, Toy-Con Bird, Toy-Con Wind Pedal and Toy-Con Elephant – as well as a Screen Holder and Safety Cap. It’s a good option for kids and families who want to dive in to the full experience.

Nintendo Labo: VR Kit – Starter Set + Blaster: Available at a suggested retail price of only $39.99, the Starter Set includes the Nintendo Switch software, plus all the components to build the Toy-Con VR Goggles and Toy-Con Blaster, as well as the Screen Holder and Safety Cap. The Starter Set is a great entry point into the world of Nintendo Labo VR.

Players that own the Starter Set can purchase the following optional expansion sets to expand their experience:

Nintendo Labo: VR Kit – Expansion Set 1**: Available at a suggested retail price of $19.99, Expansion Set 1 includes the Toy-Con Elephant and Toy-Con Camera.

Nintendo Labo: VR Kit – Expansion Set 2**: Available at a suggested retail price of $19.99, Expansion Set 2 includes the Toy-Con Wind Pedal and Toy-Con Bird.

The inventive Toy-Con Garage mode – included as part of all Nintendo Labo software – returns with Nintendo Labo: VR Kit, offering basic programming tools for players to experiment with. More information about the experiences offered by Nintendo Labo: VR Kit will be revealed in the future.

The Nintendo Labo: VR Kit – Starter Set + Blaster and complete Nintendo Labo: VR Kit will be available in stores on April 12. The two expansion sets will be available exclusively online at https://store.nintendo.com/.

:arrow: Source: Twitter
:arrow: Nintendo Official Site

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
This is just a constant reminder to me that we'll never get any real switch controller peripherals because of the lack of any ports. It's weird, usually nintendo is the king of random ports on controllers and consoles that are never used, and now their new console has literally no room for expansion.
You can play with the Pro Controller wired to the dock.

But uh, pretty much, otherwise.

HaloBenish

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Labo is sick, toy-con garage is one of the coolest programming tools ive ever used. Tons of incredible things have been made with labo why do people hate on it?

HaloBenish

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To be fair I've spent nearly 1000 hours with labo across multiple accounts and never completed any cardboard project, I have made a ton of apps that use just the switch sans joycons though

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you need 8k or 16k for really good vr. 1/2k is a bit weak. I suppose it's fine for weird little things, but i suppose it's something? hopefully someone will fond it fun :)

pastaconsumer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What happens when you pay $80 and you break the cardboard while making it?
Better have extra cardboard ready. IIRC, they more or less expect you to cut out your own spare pieces with templates they provide. I'm sure eBay/AliExpress will be littered with pre-cut pieces. Just make sure you have extra rubber bands, IR stickers, and string.

Edit: Theoretically, you never even have to buy a Labo kit as long as you have the NSP/XCI.

Last edited by pastaconsumer,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anything, Google Cardboard demonstrates how terrible this is going to be. 1080P really isn't adequate for Cardboard/Daydream, 720P is going to be unspeakably bad.
Eh it's fine especially for kids. My old phone might've been 720p wasn't that good but interesting, but this wasn't long after cardboard came out (it might've been 1080p I'm not sure).

SaffronXL

The Grand Galactic Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it might've been 1080p I'm not sure
It was definitely higher resolution that 720.

Google Cardboard was worth the roughly 10 buck cost of entry, and I suspect this will be the same case. That said, bad Nintendo products have a unique level of collectibility, so this might be worth getting just to hoarde.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't even stand 10 min of PSVR this will look so great lol.
born too late to witness the golden age of nintendo
born too early for true VR gaming

born just in time to attach an nvidia shield tablet to your retinas using a $100 proprietary cardboard cutout
Even that wouldnt work any good on Nvidia shield screen, even being just slightly above 1080P it is still very poor in ppi for VR + its already heavy and big. Now I can't even imagine the way heavier Switch with even less ppi on the screen:wacko::shit:.

Though I was actually impressed with a shitty cheap ebay bad VR headset on my Xperia Z2 which is around the same in ppi and screen size as PSVR, but actually using it via USB on the PC and using highest settings it actually look close to playing in my 1080P monitor, the quality is impressively better than PSVR in terms of 3D game quality, all the lines show straight however yes we can see pixels contrary to playing in the monitor because of low PPI just like Sony PSVR BUT SADLY IT RUN VERY SLOW AS USB 2.0 AND MY PHONE WERENT ENOUGH TO PROCESS THE IMAGE (while in the monitor the game was being played fast, in the phone was playing very slow and after reducing quality to work on my phone it was already as shit as PSVR on visual quality and much worse on the rest since its 60 hz screen, the lenses are way worse and LCD vs OLED). The lenses were a big pile of crap very blurred on the edges it was like 5$ anyway so I wasnt expecting the lenses to be good anyway, was just to test my old phone...

So it actually shows PSVR is like not half bad as what it currently is, PS4 is just too weak and the processing of the VR is also weak too so that's why the visuals get even way more crap down all blurred and all lines fully distorted even though the PPI can't be fixed without an actual higher resolution screen, but if we could actually get the same quality output as the 4K for the TV in its pure quality to the VR it would look much better, but since it has to draw twice the console+VR Processing unit sadly have to crap down quality a lot making the output image to the VR very bad compared to the TV output without VR.

ps: A good VR is actually ppl with decent Samsung AMOLED displays with quadHD+ resolution some ppl say it makes a better VR than most\all PC VR headsets, but it always have flaws, there isnt still a perfect VR headset out there, we need Nvidia super high refresh display technology shown like 2000 real hz fast motion display but with high brightness, high PPI and the technology shown of focusing membrane lenses to completely kill the motion sickness for good as it adjust eye depth like in real life to where we actually look so no more eye stress of not having real focus, we need all of those technologies together at a good price (maybe in the year 2000 and never :toot:)...

Last edited by guily6669,
Reactions: pitterpatter

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: HBD 2U