Nintendo announces first smartphone game: Miitomo

1494780741459268425.jpg

Today Nintendo announced it's first mobile game:
Miitomo.

From the WSJ:
Nintendo has introduced its long-awaited and highly anticipated first smartphone app, called Miitomo, but pushed back the release date to the spring of next year. The title is a new franchise for the company– first of five smartphone apps Nintendo plans to release by March 2016. But we’re not sure whether to call Miitomo a game. Users will design their own avatars, or miis, to communicate with other users.

1494780741710839625.jpg

1494780741594805065.jpg

:arrow:WSJ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dislike smartphone gaming, but a smartphone by Nintendo is entirely possible. All they need to do is to make a console with physical buttons and the ability to make phone calls, that's it. They can make their own OS and do something like the Xperia Play tried to do. Have something like the eShop going on but make IM apps like Whatsapp possible. If Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft can make gaming "cool" again by pulling something like this, they will dominate the market.
Will never happen. The failure of the Nokia N-Gage should be proof enough of that.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will never happen. The failure of the Nokia N-Gage should be proof enough of that.
The N-Gage was crappy and expensive. By the time that all of its problems were fixed with the N-Gage QD, it found competition between DS, PSP, Gizmondo and Zodiac 2. DS and PSP survived thanks to the games, while no one wanted to develop for a phone that was a lot weaker than the gaming handhelds.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well whatta ya know?

Looks like Nintendo has finally gotten the scent of the mobile money printing machine!

I said this a while back, on multiple occasions, "Nintendo will hop on the mobile band-wagon sooner or later". I got flamed, hated and even insulted because of it.

Im sorry, I dont usually take pride in this sort of thing...but...

IN YER FACES!

Reactions: CeIIophane

flarn2006

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like your thinking! Unless they come encrypted like everything else they release... Let's hope not.
Don't forget, it won't take nearly as long for someone to decrypt it as it did to figure out, say, 3DS games. That's because it runs on an OS where it's possible to get root access. In some cases, the manufacturer even provides official support for it. (Support as in they intentionally make it possible--the warranty is often still void.)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget, it won't take nearly as long for someone to decrypt it as it did to figure out, say, 3DS games. That's because it runs on an OS where it's possible to get root access. In some cases, the manufacturer even provides official support for it. (Support as in they intentionally make it possible--the warranty is often still void.)
Every Android device I own has been rooted and most of them run CyanogenMod, unleashing their usefulness and true potential. My S3 runs Lollipop, for crying out loud, most other people only got the OS up to Kit Kat (4.4.2) with the stock ROM.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Well whatta ya know?

Looks like Nintendo has finally gotten the scent of the mobile money printing machine!

I said this a while back, on multiple occasions, "Nintendo will hop on the mobile band-wagon sooner or later". I got flamed, hated and even insulted because of it.

Im sorry, I dont usually take pride in this sort of thing...but...

IN YER FACES!

Well done.

Did you say it before or after they had already announced that they were working on smartphone games, though?

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well done.

Did you say it before or after they had already announced that they were working on smartphone games, though?

I said it the first time, way back. As in at least 2 years ago. But don't quote me on that, I dont remember, it's been forever lol.

I also said Sony wouldn't take long either. I got flamed and hated, for stating that big companies do not work the way their fans want them to, they work the way that will bring them the most profit (unfortunately).

So, while we all respect the pride that Nintendo has shown to keep itself away from Mobile gaming so far, and as such, stand firm as a video game company, independent from Google or Apple, in the end, pride won't bring money. Sales will.

It's pretty simple really. Put a Pokemon game available for iOS and Android. What do you get? Insane profit. Heck, half assed Pokemon ripoff games on both the App Store and Google Play, already sell like hotcakes. Theres not even a need to "test the market". It's more than proven that the demand is there, and WHY wouldn't it be?

Instead of buying a 3DS to play your favorite games, you can save 200$, and play them on the one device you use for everything: Your smartphone. (or tablet I guess).

So instead of people not wasting money on an extra device (such as a Nintendo 3DS), and as a consequence, not buying Nintendo games, NOW, they still don't buy nintendo platforms. No. But they WILL buy the games, because of the easy access on their everyday device.

Because now, theres not only the small "niche" of people that buy GAMING CONSOLES, purposedly for Pokemon (and any other games). Now, there's everyone. Why? Because a Smartphone is a necessity to every day life. A nintendo 3DS is literally a commodity. So their potential market share got expanded 100 times.

Now, the people that buy Nintendo 3DS's will buy Pokemon on Mobile, AND the people that don't buy 3DS's will also buy Pokemon on Mobile.

I for one, like this change. I don't see this a bad thing, but rather, an evolution. Leave pride aside and make gaming available on as many platforms as possible.

To me, this is Nintendo growing up, quite honestly.

Last edited by WhiteMaze,

flarn2006

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I said it the first time, way back. As in at least 2 years ago. But don't quote me on that, I dont remember, it's been forever lol.

I also said Sony wouldn't take long either. I got flamed and hated, for stating that big companies do not work the way their fans want them to, they work the way that will bring them the most profit (unfortunately).

So, while we all respect the pride that Nintendo has shown to keep itself away from Mobile gaming so far, and as such, stand firm as a video game company, independent from Google or Apple, in the end, pride won't bring money. Sales will.

It's pretty simple really. Put a Pokemon game available for iOS and Android. What do you get? Insane profit. Heck, half assed Pokemon ripoff games on both the App Store and Google Play, already sell like hotcakes. Theres not even a need to "test the market". It's more than proven that the demand is there, and WHY wouldn't it be?

Instead of buying a 3DS to play your favorite games, you can save 200$, and play them on the one device you use for everything: Your smartphone. (or tablet I guess).

So instead of people not wasting money on an extra device (such as a Nintendo 3DS), and as a consequence, not buying Nintendo games, NOW, they still don't buy nintendo platforms. No. But they WILL buy the games, because of the easy access on their everyday device.

Because now, theres not only the small "niche" of people that buy GAMING CONSOLES, purposedly for Pokemon (and any other games). Now, there's everyone. Why? Because a Smartphone is a necessity to every day life. A nintendo 3DS is literally a commodity. So their potential market share got expanded 100 times.

Now, the people that buy Nintendo 3DS's will buy Pokemon on Mobile, AND the people that don't buy 3DS's will also buy Pokemon on Mobile.

I for one, like this change. I don't see this a bad thing, but rather, an evolution. Leave pride aside and make gaming available on as many platforms as possible.

To me, this is Nintendo growing up, quite honestly.

I assume you're referring to a main-series game. I don't think it's too likely a main-series Pokemon game will be released on a non-Nintendo platform, and not just because it would break such a long-standing tradition. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, some smartphone manufacturers provide an official way to get root access on your phone, as they very well should. I don't think Game Freak would be too eager to release a main-series Pokemon game onto such a platform, because they'd be worried about trades, and transfers to the next generation. That's not to say I think this is a good reason not to release it; I strongly feel people should be able to play how they want. I'm simply saying it seems unlikely.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They aren't putting their main games on phones, especially new titles. As mention, security and would lose complete control of the device and only a little control on software . A lot of games don't work without a real controller and the drain on the phone battery, so you would have to carry another device anyway. They would have to worry about their games working on multiple devices and the quality of their games will drop because a lot of those phone people wouldn't buy a $30 - 40 game anyway.

I mean they got a whole another company to make low budget or at least not as high a budget as their main games for a reason.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I assume you're referring to a main-series game. I don't think it's too likely a main-series Pokemon game will be released on a non-Nintendo platform, and not just because it would break such a long-standing tradition. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, some smartphone manufacturers provide an official way to get root access on your phone, as they very well should. I don't think Game Freak would be too eager to release a main-series Pokemon game onto such a platform, because they'd be worried about trades, and transfers to the next generation. That's not to say I think this is a good reason not to release it; I strongly feel people should be able to play how they want. I'm simply saying it seems unlikely.

Well that is certianly a good point.

However this problem is basically the same, as any other online multiplayer game currently on the market. The devs have to implement ways to fight cheating and hacking, and I doubt many have the financial power that Game Freak or Nintendo have. So honestly, I do not see a problem here.

But yes, I dream of the day I am able to play Super Smash on my Android for instance.

In the end, one way or another, moving to Mobile, would represent a massive benefit for Nintendo / Sony, at least, on the financial side of things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse