Nintendo and Health/Fitness: A Continuation

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Ryukouki, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Ryukouki
    OP

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    [​IMG]

I haven't done this in a while, but I feel like picking up from where I left off with in my previous topic. Let's look at this as part two of the "Nintendo's Future" saga. This whole idea of Nintendo crumbling and being unable to come back from their gaming woes has very much intrigued me. I would often like to believe that they could come back and create a new product that would blow gamers away, but maybe it's time to look into the other alternatives...

Going back from where I left off, I left some criticisms and comments on Nintendo's current structure as it is, and looking back at that piece, I still find that my conclusions at this point haven't changed. I think it is time to see Iwata take the responsibility, which he is, and maybe make a new foray into a new territory.

Interestingly enough, he's actually done so in the form of health care and fitness. Back in the early days, Nintendo actually used to be a trading card game and board game creator; at some point the ideas stopped taking off and Nintendo made the foray into video gaming, certainly one of their better decisions. Thinking about it now, maybe Nintendo's video gaming time is over. Maybe that ship has sailed and it's time to move into a new industry.

When we as gamers look at it, sometimes we see that Nintendo just isn't doing as great as it has in the past. The Wii U has flopped from lack of advertisement and software titles, the 3DS is doing well but not selling in explosive numbers like the Nintendo DS, and their implementations on the online infrastructure are being trounced by Microsoft and Sony. I believe that with these warning signs it might be a matter of time before Nintendo should just focus instead on this newfound brilliance, and here is why.

As an American, I see all sorts of statistics on how unhealthy we are. Obesity is rising here in the United States, some saying technology has made us lazier. We see things like the Wii Fit, something that has sold in huge numbers and could be labeled the best-selling scale as a generality. I don't see why not take advantage of that at this point. In a recent interview, Iwata himself explained the logic of these devices, as noted below:

I find that the real gem in this statement is when he mentions turning ordinary objects into a hit product. With this, I definitely think that if they focused less on gaming (note: I don't mean completely eliminate gaming) and on their new idea with health care, I would actually be okay with this decision. Nintendo gaming as a whole has stopped giving me that "wow" factor as of a while back, but this definitely has piqued my interest. I find that if they play their cards right they definitely could combine their hardware and software to make something great.

Considering how many items that the health care industry has that could be utilized, there is so much room for Nintendo to sweep the market with. Think about it! Weight lifting, running, and sports could come together as a way for people to still maintain healthy lifestyles and have fun at the same time. Things that we take for granted and don't think much about could have the potential to integrate in our lives in a fun and interesting way. On a goofy note, I'm hoping for cloud shoes.

At the end of the day, I see this idea of focusing on health care as a great thing. By looking at how Nintendo has performed as a whole in the past several years, maybe it is time to move in a new direction that focuses less on the gaming aspect and more on the individual. Based on other comments Iwata had presented to the investment board in a discussion last week:

Based on that, it's definitely clear that he finds the Wii U isn't gaining momentum. Why not take things that have gained momentum, like the Wii Fit concept, and expand on that? We're crossing into a third year with the Nintendo 3DS console, and things just don't feel the same as the Nintendo DS games. Maybe I'm growing up! But is there merit in seeing Nintendo move into the health and fitness industry and focusing less on gaming? Let me know what you think!

osirisjem likes this.

2. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    most of the people on gbatemp want to use cheats for they pokemon Wii-Fit.

butch of lazy motherfudgers.

3. Ryukouki
    OP

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

Press A B L R to get your 10000 steps! Well done! Press Start Select to enable 2500 calories consumed! :D

calmwaters, hhs and Flame like this.
  4. Ulieq

Ulieq GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2014
    United States
    Los Angeles, California
    Nintendo becomes hit health company? No. This is more of the same "How we believe we'll change the world, but in reality, just screw up our company and alienate our fans." Everything Nintendo is saying and doing is so bizarre, the only reason we give it credibility is because they have a crapload of money and mario sells 30million copies.

5. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    The "things just don't feel the same as the Nintendo DS games" isn't just you.
    In early 3DS titles I had the feeling that every game developer had this stupid idea of creating some unnecessary "something flies towards the screen in 3D" effect.
    I mean it was a wow effect back in 2003 when I watched "Spy Kids 3D: Game Over" as a Kid. Nowadays they just look stupid and forced.
    While playing Super Mario Sticker star, everyone's favorite, the game told me to stop playing because I had been playing for 30 minutes. I don't even have 3D on so why should I take a break?
    Same thing happened in Kid Icarus Uprising but in that game your hand could get tired from holding the 3DS with one hand so it was understandable.
    Nintendo sometimes feels like a overprotective mother...

Also there are these Playcoins that you get for walking while streetpassing. I mean it's purpose is to motivate people to go for a walk but in reality walking 1000 steps is achieved faster than you can think.
    I reach my 1000 Steps every day I go to school. I can turn off my 3DS when I'm at school no one runs around with streetpass anyway.

I don't think that something like Wii Fit is a bad Idea. It would be more fun with Oculus rift though.

WhiteMaze likes this.
  6. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Does Nintendo make fun games? yes
    Does Nintendo make fun consoles? yes
    Does Nintendo have a good marketing department? nope

Therefore Nintendo must get out of making video games? This seems pretty ridiculous to me.

RodrigoDavy likes this.
  7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I don't think Nintendo will stop making games. They may start doing more other things, but I hope (and believe) they will always continue making games, even if that is on a non-Nintendo device.
    I would be interested in seeing what other things Nintendo could come up with, but only if that doesn't mean they will stop making video games. There wouldn't be much left for me in terms of gaming if Nintendo quit, all my favorite games are Nintendo games. Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Smash Bros...
    There's a few 3rd party favorites like Ace Attorney that would survive without Nintendo but not much.

8. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 16, 2013
    I honestly do not agree with that statement, that many people seem to be pointing the finger at.

Yes, Nintendo's marketing has been everything but perfect. However saying this is the ONLY reason why Nintendo finds itself in this situation, is something that I do not agree with.

The way I see it, Nintendo has been crashing because of a number of bad decisions, failure to get with times, and incomprehensible stubbornness regarding many aspects.

chavosaur likes this.
  9. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    From the title, I thought this thread would be about annoying health warnings at the start of games and/or extra annoying "you've been playing a while, why not take a break?" nags they're now peppering games with.

Motherfucking nanny state.

10. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    I agree. They take the cautious approach, one step at a time, to protect their customers. Problem is, people expect at least 3 or 5 steps. Though I wouldn't say they're crashing, they are being slowly worn down from "can-do-no-wrong" status to "gamecube" status.

They seem to try and make it so people from tiny kids to grown adults can enjoy their console without worry, while sony and microsoft just focus on the teen-young adult crowd.

Nintendo is like pixar and sony/microsoft are more like michael bay movies.

WhiteMaze likes this.
  11. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Interesting thoughts, Ryukouki.

What is interesting in nintendo's life cycle is that they were always about games and entertainment. Card games may be different from arcade games or video games, but they're still games. I think it's safe to say that at the very least THAT isn't going to change.

And sure...the wii was successful because of the movement thingies, and the wii fit is a good addition to it (at least better than what kinect and move brought to the table). But...

...I'm not sure if the wii fit is nintendo's answer to their issues. I mean...look at their last entry: wii fit u. I pretty much heard about it on accident, and if I couldn't buy the pedometer AND the game for 20 bucks, my wii board would still be collecting dust right now. and I may be projecting things, but I don't have the impression the thing is "gaining momentum". But while they've done quite a good job, it's not that good of a game. I blogged about it a week or so back, and while I should give some positive updates on the game (the routines do away with most of the unnecessary "click A to continue for no reason whatsoever"), I'm still hesitant to vote it on the essentials list. And I think others feel the same way.

So...while I do think wii fit has possibly the best chance of success, I don't think it's wise to gamble the entire company on it. I think they're going to do some expanding in that area. Do what nintendo does best and see what OTHER kinds of hardware they can sell us. Perhaps training video's? A second attempt at a heartbeat sensor? A dance mat? In any case: something that isn't done by the competition. And probably won't, because hardcore gamers will surely NOT be their core audience.

Ryukouki likes this.
  12. Ryukouki
    OP

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

Haha, I was sitting in a library for like five hours and then I fancied pouring some thoughts on paper. :P

While I know that the root of Nintendo is gaming, maybe integrating both games and this whole health and fitness deal could be a huge thing. You never know. And while I think the Wii Fit is a decent idea, I'm actually looking more into expanding the Wii Fit not only as a scale, but using other excercise tools as a way to integrate entertainment and fitness. Like, a weight for example. :wacko: Reading more into your post, you kind of gave examples that I would be looking for. Hell, bring back Dance Dance Revolution and make that a big thing again. :D And sadly, I honestly feel like they moved on from the hardcore audiences long ago and it's starting to feel more casual and overprotective, often in an overbearing way. For Christ's sakes, I don't need a game to tell me to break after thirty minutes. :angry:

13. Ulieq

Ulieq GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2014
    United States
    Los Angeles, California
    Nintendo really needs to just cut off the home console hardware division. This would completely solve all their issues.

14. osirisjem

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    Cool. I wonder what it will be ? Any guesses ? A high tech pedometer ? Is it targeted at all ages or just younger gamers ?
    I am skeptical of this announcement. Seems like they are just trying to distract investors with the idea they have other things in the pipeline.
    No firm products, No plan, No deadline.

Is that a long winded CEO way to say the Wii U sales are terrible ?

The 3DS and the Wii brought something to the table.
    That's why they "crossed the chasm".

The Wii U brought nothing new to the table (that consumers wanted). They don't want a huge controller with a screen.
    The Wii U won't cross the chasm because it was a bad idea from Day 1.

It would appear gamers worldwide did it for them by not buying Wii Us.

It is already possible that Nintendo has made it's last home console .... as scary as that seems.

15. Ryukouki
    OP

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Iwata has definitely noted that the Wii U is a flop. I'm actually quite curious to see what they come up with for this health and fitness thing of theirs.

16. osirisjem

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    He said it hasn't crossed the chasm yet.
    Leaving it open to the possibility that it will.
    Anyway.

Holiday 2015 or early 2016 debut ? That's a long way off. Just like I said, he's making stuff up to palliate investors.

Ryukouki - read the CNBC article .... it might be a tweaked version of their abandoned "Vitality Sensor".

I am going to guess this is a distraction attempt by Iwata and the fitness thing will either not see the light of day or have no benefit to Nintendo.

17. Ryukouki
    OP

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

Either way it can't get much worse than where they're at right now. :P

18. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    I personally think it is premature to make any crazy assumptions about nintendo's next move. The wii u may not be selling very well, but neither did the gamecube, and they completely killed after that with the wii in sales. I think that the wii u has an interesting design, it just isn't advertised well, and there aren't enough games that use it's full potential to warrant the purchase for many. Due to the console's underpowered nature it is in a bad position for devs as well. I think for their next big comeback nintendo should do something similar to the wii u, but fix most of the problems. the controller is a great dea, but the lack of devs to support the system due to the low power is hurting it. If nintendo managed to make its next console on par with sony and microsofts next consoles, but kept with the idea of the gamepad or something similar, it could be a great success. I'm sure that a lot more people would be attracted to a console with both nintendo exclusives and a strong selection of third party games. They just need to make their system on par with the others with unique features and it should do alot better than the wii u currently is.

19. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    I still hold to my belief that they should make a God of War type Mario game. It really would be unique. And, I would much rather see people dancing than doing yoga poses and other such stuff that was in Wii Fit. Yoga is exercise, making it a chore for some people; however, sitting on the balance board and watching the flame steadily flicker is way more awesome. Or the hula hoop. And if they go this exercise route, then they might as well make another music game. I see great online capabilities with Wii Music on the U. I can laugh at how you guys are so tone deaf... ;) but it'll be fun (unless you have no sense of humor) (this isn't going anywhere; new topic)

But I don't need exercise games for my system. Dancing games are okay since I don't go dancing much in real life (plus the thought of another DDR: Mario Mix with the updated songs from the Wii generation thrills me to no end), but Just Dance doesn't appeal much since they've got lots of whacked out songs on there.

But once Nintendo figures out what'll motivate the young people to buy their console *cough ahem* CoD/online multiplayer *cough wheeze*, then they'll be able to adopt that crowd while still keeping their core audience excited for the next easy game in the Mario F-Zero series.

20. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Nintendo, I get it, you're looking for an excuse to push the Wii Fit Trainer. It's a noble goal, you don't have to lie.

Ryukouki likes this.