Nintendo and 54 companies battle the R4 in court

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by caffolote, Jul 29, 2008.

Jul 29, 2008
  1. caffolote
    OP

Member caffolote GBAtemp Fan

United States
    From Kotaku.com

Nintendo has just announced that it and 54 game software companies are filing a lawsuit with the Tokyo District Court against companies that import "R4 Revolution for DS"-type devices, using the Unfair Competition Prevention Law as the legal grounding. Nintendo is asking for the cease of marketing, sales and importation of these Chinese-made devices. The R4 allows easy software piracy by fitting right into the DS's cartridge slot. Data is stored on a Micro SD and downloaded from websites via a flash drive, and the R4 has a small slot that the Micro SD card goes into. In a statement released today, Nintendo announced that these R4 devices "allow illegal uploading from the internet", adding that "it is causing severe damage to our company and software makers, and this is something that we cannot possibly overlook." In conclusion, Nintendo adds that such devices hurts the growth of the entire game industry and steps must be taken regarding the legality of R4 carts. It's important to note that this legal injunction is for Japan only.

Back in November 2007, Nintendo announced that it was "keeping a close eye on the products and studying them." Earlier this spring, Nintendo apparently pressured Akihabara retailers to stop carrying the popular R4 carts.

Hit the jump for a list of some of the companies who along with Nintendo have filed in this suit.

Arc System Works
    SNK
    Capcom
    Koei
    Jaleco
    Square Enix
    Sega
    Taito
    Takara Tomy
    Tecmo
    Hudson
    Bandai Namco Games
    The Pokémon Company
    Yukes
    Level Five

2. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    Already posted in USN: Linky

3. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    [​IMG]

This is bad...

4. PyroJames

Member PyroJames GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Yeah, I about heard this before but why are they targeting R4 specifically? They're not the only flashcart manufacturers around. Maybe this is why there are rumours that R4 is gonna stop production soon.

5. golden

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    It's hilarious how they don't know that they are actually called flash carts and call them R4 type devices.

I'm going to go use my R4 type "acekard". K bye. [​IMG]

6. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States

Not really,not much different then targeting a site to be shut down,and when one does get shut down 5 more take it's place...... it's a never ending battle honestly.....

7. ENDscape

Member ENDscape REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!

Philippines
    Lol. Theyre attacking something they dont even know.

............................................________........................
    ....................................,.-...................``~.,..................
    .............................,.-...................................-.,............
    .........................,/...............................................:,........
    .....................,?......................................................\,.....
    .................../...........................................................,}....
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}....
    .............../...................................................,:........./.....
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../.....
    ............./__.(.....~-,_..............................,:`........../........
    .........../(_....~,_........~,_....................,:`........_/...........
    ..........{.._$;_......=,_.......-,_.......,.-~-,},.~;/....}...........
    ...........((.....*~_.......=-._......;,,./`..../............../............
    ...,,,___.\`~,......~.,....................`.....}............../.............
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-...............
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,....
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\........................
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\.......................
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__..
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\...............

8. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    It's much better for the other flashcarts if the R4 becomes the scapegoat.

9. ENDscape

Member ENDscape REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!

Philippines
    Thats true. But they're aware of other flashcarts seeing as how they said r4 type devices. That means they know there're others out there. Its only a matter of time that some spies comes and studies everything about the ds scene [​IMG] .

10. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    I'm thinking that when this is over they'll go after the CycloDS Evolution seeing as it's the most popular flashcart atm.

11. caffolote
    OP

Member caffolote GBAtemp Fan

United States
    How long do you think they'll go after that after the R4 lawsuit is over?

12. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    With NINTENDO'S BANK BALANCE they can write and describe hardware HOWEVER THEY LIKE!! [​IMG] lol [​IMG]

13. Gman 101

Member Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Why don't we make sure ALL Nintendo IP addresses are banned from viewing GBATemp? It'll help slow things down for the ;D

14. Zerrix

Member Zerrix GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    They call this "lost money, what we need"
    What we need?
    F*cking Nintendo, having already more than 10 Milliards USD/Yen and still complaining about "needed money" >.>
    Their fault when they think they can sell us f*cking casual games so expensive!

15. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    ~Waits for sony to say piracy is killing their ps3 system~

16. Lost_Seraph

Newcomer Lost_Seraph Newbie

Thailand
    My little conspiracy theory about Nintendo and r4.

I have a feeling that Nintendo doesn't really go serious about getting of flashcards.
    Maybe Nintendo intentionally let the flashcards spread, especially in developing country.

Why?

Take my country for example, Thailand.
    Thailand is not really developing country, but most people doesn't really troubled by the thought of piracy.

Nintendo DS is a big hit here, you could find DS almost every where you go.
    In my class of 80 students, around 10 of us has DS.
    And well, at least 95% use flashcards.
    Most of the shops that sell DS here, sell them in bundle, that is DS+flashcard+memory card.
    (I have NEVER seen anyone here NOT using flashcards)

The thing is, what would happen if flashcards do not exist?
    Nintendo wouldn't sell many DS here, people just won't buy it.
    (PS3 is unpopular because here you CAN'T use pirate software)

Don't think about it too much, just some wild idea that pop up in my head.

17. pokemongalaxy

Banned pokemongalaxy Banned

Canada
    OMG, maybe nintendo couldn't bring r4 into court if only they didn't advertise that "the r4 can play backups", but the device still could [​IMG]
    @Lost-ser, that seems to make a lot of sense, but remember that nintendo profits more from games they make than consoles [​IMG]

18. Son of Science

Member Son of Science GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The R4 sucks anyway, but Nintendo's probably gonna close in on other flashcarts [​IMG]

19. Lost_Seraph

Newcomer Lost_Seraph Newbie

Thailand
    Well, in Thailand
    Nintendo would profit from NOTHING at all without R4.
    With R4, at least they can sell the consoles.

(I'm sure Nintendo doesn't really do it but it's more fun to think this way XD)

20. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Two separate thoughts:

Hydra principle for going after flashcart makers. Kill one, three more appear.

I don't think Big N is going to be 100% behind the support of this suit. I mean, cmon, flashcarts are part of the reason that DSLs are still flying off the shelves at stores.