Hardware nintendo ac adapter dead , i have a laptop charger which outputs 15v 3 amps(can i use it?)

rahul9nb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hi,

could any1 please help me ..

1)so the ac adapter is dead
2) the dc wire which contains the male usb type-c port( from the ac adapter/power supply) is fine .. when I cut it I got 5 wires(1 blue/2 white wires/2 black wires). Now if i would have found a black and a red wire only.. it would have been pretty easy and straight fwd .. but these 5 wires are confusing

3) I tried to determine these 5 wires but I couldnt on the multimeter .. when i check for voltage ( i am getting 3.2 volts with a blue and the white wire) & ( i am getting 3.2 volts with a blue and the black wire) .. I expected to get to see 15 volts and 5 volts on the multimeter but I couldnt

PS: I have used a friends nintendo switchs adapter( i also cut his adapters wire .. just to determine these voltages) .. and yeah he let me cut his .. since I have fixed a lot of things of his.

4) so the first question is .. could any1 please help me identify these five wires.

5) the next question is how to wire them on my laptop charger .. the laptop charger has 2 wires .. 1 positive and 2nd negative.

Please help me.

Regards
Rahul

Last edited by rahul9nb,
Reactions: BrandonSWITCH

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Use your phone charger.

But if you are a DIY kind of guy, you should:
Write this: nintendo switch charging cable schematic
On GOOGLE!!!!

rahul9nb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
DP stands for Direct Power.
Else the Switch won't like the power delivery. I've tried with a normal charger and it doesn't work good at all. Also it can blow the charging chip. Because NINTENDO!
yeah thanks .. thats why i am not trying to experiment .. I am just trying to understand the output wires that from comes from the switch's original charger.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the record don't assume red and black is what the classic electronics textbook/standards would have you believe. Or if you prefer if you have a bag of old Chinese USB cables go slice a few of them up and come back and tell me colours are respected.

Also are you sure it is dead charger? Easiest way being if you have another or a friend with one go stick it on theirs and see if it works there. It not reading anything to a meter might be a fault but the fifth wire (more on that shortly) could be a signal to turn on. Either way be sure it is the charger before you spend time on this and find some component inside the Switch has gone pop -- I have seen more than enough failed chargers on other things in my time but for Switch stuff it would be new and most of the things we see around here for Switch charging failures are internal to the board, mind you it could just be that people tried another and replaced it silently.

You could also look inside the charger to see what is going there. SMPS (switch mode power supplies) have a few common failure modes and most of those can only be marginally harder to sort than this. There is the possibility of mains voltages, and mains charged capacitors so do be sure to be safe there.

5 wires then, 4 of which have a matching one.
Fatter wires = more current (that is the area part of the resistivity equation, or if you want to treat the wire as a resistor then double the wires = parallel resistors) and can be bent more without breaking. If they are the same colour then more likely still. Might also mean simpler manufacturing process (running multiple strands of the same thickness is cheap). You will probably see the same thing if you take the Switch back cover off and look at the battery there).

The remaining wire then either gets to be a true earth/earth referenced ground (seen that in a few laptops by the way), or a signal wire -- charge temperature, charge point, means to stop you from using an unofficial charger (various tools and laptops for this one I have dealt with, annoyingly one laptop that had these sense wire go wrong so powered but would not charge), means to slow down an unofficial charger (some fast charge cables on phones join the signal wires, others will put a known resistance across them)... various possibilities for that one.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
yeah thanks .. thats why i am not trying to experiment .. I am just trying to understand the output wires that from comes from the switch's original charger.
it's normal USB cables as far as I know.
All the magic is in the brick.

rahul9nb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
For the record don't assume red and black is what the classic electronics textbook/standards would have your believe. Or if you prefer if you have a bag of old Chinese USB cables go slice a few of them up and come back and tell me colours are respected.

Also are you sure it is dead charger? Easiest way being if you have another or a friend with one go stick it on theirs and see if it works there. It not reading anything to a meter might be a fault but the fifth wire (more on that shortly) could be a signal to turn on. Either way be sure it is the charger before you spend time on this and find some component inside the Switch has gone pop -- I have seen more than enough failed chargers on other things in my time but for Switch stuff it would be new and most of the things we see around here for Switch charging failures are internal to the board, mind you it could just be that people tried another and replaced it silently.

You could also look inside the charger to see what is going there. SMPS (switch mode power supplies) have a few common failure modes and most of those can only be marginally harder to sort than this. There is the possibility of mains voltages, and mains charged capacitors so do be sure to be safe there.

5 wires then, 4 of which have a matching one.
Fatter wires = more current (that is the area part of the resistivity equation, or if you want to treat the wire as a resistor then double the wires = parallel resistors) and can be bent more without breaking. If they are the same colour then more likely still. Might also mean simpler manufacturing process (running multiple strands of the same thickness is cheap). You will probably see the same thing if you take the Switch back cover off and look at the battery there).

The remaining wire then either gets to be a true earth/earth referenced ground (seen that in a few laptops by the way), or a signal wire -- charge temperature, charge point, means to stop you from using an unofficial charger (various tools and laptops for this one I have dealt with, annoyingly one laptop that had these sense wire go wrong so powered but would not charge), means to slow down an unofficial charger (some fast charge cables on phones join the signal wires, others will put a known resistance across them)... various possibilities for that one.
1) charger is for sure dead .. i have confirmed it .. since i have 2 similar chargers .. one belongs to me and the other belongs to my friend .. both the charges have same wires color too .. 1 blue/2 whites/2 blacks

PS: you can trust me on this .. just to narrow out to my problem

2) "fatter wires" .. thanks for that Tip .. but all the wires are same in terms of "gage" .. i mean i have stripped all five .. all of the same gage size

3) I will be checking the switchs battery as well .. i havent opened it yet

4) thanks for your other suggestions .. i ll read your post again .. after a few days ..

Regards
Rahul

chocoboss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
DP stands for Direct Power.
Else the Switch won't like the power delivery. I've tried with a normal phone charger and it doesn't work good at all. Also it can blow the charging chip. Because NINTENDO!

I have used a standard 5V 2A Samsung charger and never got problem ( but really long charging time )

rahul9nb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I have used a standard 5V 2A Samsung charger and never got problem ( but really long charging time )
yes I also have a 5v 2A charger .. charging was slow .. but the battery was charging at a slow pace(with my switch on a stand by mode) ..

Regards
Rahul

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things