OP
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo 64 - Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards cheat code discovered 21 years later

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/kirby-64-the-crystal-shards-cheat-code-discovered-21-years-later/

https://www.facebook.com/Gamnesia/posts/1566195853550791?__cft__[0]=AZWdqWdyVQksYHehsZA8RmSPUnlCAszTeuqL8TFfyZpuoy1fmaIRKxqjqZY011AaY9F-QhzDLkFN3Vzl2Z2bmTwaL_MMOG6Gclu-xJuV7INkGS9qgnoQ4fD5zrU38BBl-4-LitHPW5zA3W3pZ5lWXZbITnsNsJE3M_q2Nyzg2koQl53YoBcqXhfth2I7J7353j4&__tn__=,O,P-R

HAL Laboratory released Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards for Nintendo 64 in the ancient era of 2000. Players have had 21 years to dissect the game in every possible way, yet it would seem the game had at least one secret leftover that no one had found. On Twitter, a user has discovered a controller combination for a Kirby 64 cheat code that unlocks a 100% completion save file. Apparently, this discovery has occurred amid an ongoing effort to decompile the game.

The tweet below details the specific actions required to activate the Kirby 64 cheat code. However, on top of the button inputs, file 2 apparently must be empty, while file 3 needs a 0% save file, and controllers need to be plugged into the first and second slots. The code will not work on Wii Virtual Console owing to how button mapping occurs.

earlier today, someone2639 discovered a hidden cheat code in kirby 64. if you plug in a second controller, then hold L and press C up, C up, R, C right, C left, then start, your third file will have 100% completion.

Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards was a quality platformer released in the later days of Nintendo 64, with my only major complaint being that the main game could be comfortably beaten within one rental. (I say that because I remember that’s what I did.) More recently, HAL Laboratory co-developed Kirby Fighters 2 with Vanpool. There is likely more Kirby in the works where that came from, but no announcements have been made yet.

Last edited by console,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm. I have toyed with writing a guide on how to find these sorts of cheats (short version is no game normally has a control input shift register/buffer beyond the last input or maybe two if it is some kind of error correction for analogues, seek that from your control input handler both in game, in menu and in options) and maybe the related one of interesting passcodes (more involved) but did not know how many would likely be in the former category.
Might even be able to automate something a tiny bit.

Good to see such things being found though.

Reactions: console

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM