Hacking Nintendo 64 emulator using Zelda: Collectors Edition and Nintendont

dafuzz160

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all don't get your hopes up It's not working.

The Zelda collectors edition has, if you didn't know, n64 and NES emulators. You can separate those emu using a tool called tgctogcm (found this page with a tutorial just scroll down to find it) and run them in dolphin or Nintendont as if they were standalone games. You can use GCRebuilder to view the files in a GC iso, then export the tgc folder in the zelda iso. Open up the command prompt and navigate to the directory with tgctogcm.exe in in and type tgctogcm.exe file.tgc game.iso (replacing file.tcg with zelda_ENG_090903.tgc or majora_ENG_091003.tgc oot and mm respectively). This will output game.iso file in the same directory which you can put on an sd card or usb and run from Nintendont.

So you can play zelda 1&2, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask, but say you want to play another Nintendo 64 game. You cannot. But we can try basically all you have to do is open the individual game iso and replace the rom file zle_f.n64 for oot and zelda2e.n64 for mm. The nes games don't have any rom files that I can find (but we got working emulators for the NES so it doesn't matter). once we replace the roms in the iso and load them in dolphin it crashes(that is when replaced with golden eye anyway) . When we try try it in Nintendont it loads fine but we get a black screen and nothing else. We cannot even get to the loading disk screen.

I have found that it is probably impossible as the roms that came with the disk might have been edited by Nintendo specifically for the gamecube. The roms work fine in the project 64 emulator. For all we know the emulator might not be any more compatible than Wiii64 if we can ever get it working.

You can find GCRebuilder here and tgctogcm.exe here (I didn't upload this file i took it from the forum I linked above).

Nemesis90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you just repackage VC games instead? Then you don't need to worry about Nintendont.

Considering there are only 21 games for the N64 virtual console, i'm going to assume he wants to find ways for games that aren't available via VC and get them to work through Nintendont. Not to mention most of the games that work really well with Wii64/Not64 are already available through VC. I don't much about this subject but i'd like to say you probably wouldn't have much better results with this over VC injection, i'd love to be proven wrong though.

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I don't much about this subject but i'd like to say you probably wouldn't have much better results with this over VC injection...
Right you are, it's got worse compatibility than VC. This emu is old and outdated, nintendont can only give it smoother framerates.

The box even mentions sound and crashing issues in the games, problems the VC versions don't have. The only reason I see to still use it is rumble support.

ned

Trophies
XP
Country
necropost
Even though roms in the Collector's Edition are named .n64 they are actually .z64 Big Endian
not .n64 Little Endian, you can confirm this with tool64.

Majora's Mask supports the 4MB RAM expansion pack for games with higher quality texture sets,
whilst Ocarina of Time supports the rumble pak irc.

Last edited by ned,

ned

Trophies
XP
Country
Regardless both are missing framebuffer effects like not/wii64, unlike the vc versions.

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I remember these. Yes you can use other roms with them by injecting them. There is actually a tool for injecting the roms that makes it much simpler. I'm sure it's buried somewhere on the net.

http://sizious.emunova.net/download/?idsys=3&idcat=22&idfile=120

Never looked into the nes ones, but it's likely possible as well for someone with more experience with this stuff.

Last edited by EclipseSin,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regardless both are missing framebuffer effects like not/wii64, unlike the vc versions.

The N64 emulator that Nintendo programmed for the Wii U have much more accurate framebuffer and RDP implementation, Not64 is nowhere nearly as accurate, and the Collector's Edition emulation is meh at best.

Zaweet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have Star Fox 64 and Mario Kart 64 running through this. Both roms are 12mb. Any compatibility list I've seen is very small.
You have to assume this is the case because Nintendo only needed this game to be compatible with Oot

Last edited by Zaweet,
Reactions: KiiWii

ned

Trophies
XP
Country
Never tried it with any 64mb rom to see if it loads them via rebuilt image to get over the 32mb injection limit.
One thing I did notice is in Nintendont it loses control input if you allow it to create the save file, this happens the next time you load the game, the save file is useless to anything but the zelda games anyway.

ned

Trophies
XP
Country
I think I know now why non Zelda games don't save
properly, the Zelda games don't use .eep or .mpk
that some games use for saving.

Majora's Mask = 128kb .fla
Ocarina of Time = 32kb .sra
---------------------------------
.sra - SRAM
.fla - FlashRAM