Nintendo 64 emulator using Zelda: Collectors Edition and Nintendont

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by dafuzz160, Sep 14, 2014.

1. dafuzz160
    OP

dafuzz160 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2014
    United States
    First of all don't get your hopes up It's not working.

The Zelda collectors edition has, if you didn't know, n64 and NES emulators. You can separate those emu using a tool called tgctogcm (found this page with a tutorial just scroll down to find it) and run them in dolphin or Nintendont as if they were standalone games. You can use GCRebuilder to view the files in a GC iso, then export the tgc folder in the zelda iso. Open up the command prompt and navigate to the directory with tgctogcm.exe in in and type tgctogcm.exe file.tgc game.iso (replacing file.tcg with zelda_ENG_090903.tgc or majora_ENG_091003.tgc oot and mm respectively). This will output game.iso file in the same directory which you can put on an sd card or usb and run from Nintendont.

So you can play zelda 1&2, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask, but say you want to play another Nintendo 64 game. You cannot. But we can try basically all you have to do is open the individual game iso and replace the rom file zle_f.n64 for oot and zelda2e.n64 for mm. The nes games don't have any rom files that I can find (but we got working emulators for the NES so it doesn't matter). once we replace the roms in the iso and load them in dolphin it crashes(that is when replaced with golden eye anyway) . When we try try it in Nintendont it loads fine but we get a black screen and nothing else. We cannot even get to the loading disk screen.

I have found that it is probably impossible as the roms that came with the disk might have been edited by Nintendo specifically for the gamecube. The roms work fine in the project 64 emulator. For all we know the emulator might not be any more compatible than Wiii64 if we can ever get it working.

You can find GCRebuilder here and tgctogcm.exe here (I didn't upload this file i took it from the forum I linked above).

2. iwasaperson

iwasaperson Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2013
    United States
    Why don't you just repackage VC games instead? Then you don't need to worry about Nintendont.

3. Nemesis90

Nemesis90 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 12, 2011
    United States
    Considering there are only 21 games for the N64 virtual console, i'm going to assume he wants to find ways for games that aren't available via VC and get them to work through Nintendont. Not to mention most of the games that work really well with Wii64/Not64 are already available through VC. I don't much about this subject but i'd like to say you probably wouldn't have much better results with this over VC injection, i'd love to be proven wrong though.

4. SuperrSonic

SuperrSonic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2011
    Right you are, it's got worse compatibility than VC. This emu is old and outdated, nintendont can only give it smoother framerates.

The box even mentions sound and crashing issues in the games, problems the VC versions don't have. The only reason I see to still use it is rumble support.

5. ned

ned GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2014
    necropost
    Even though roms in the Collector's Edition are named .n64 they are actually .z64 Big Endian
    not .n64 Little Endian, you can confirm this with tool64.

Majora's Mask supports the 4MB RAM expansion pack for games with higher quality texture sets,
    whilst Ocarina of Time supports the rumble pak irc.

Last edited by ned, Jun 29, 2016
  6. EarlAB

EarlAB hon hon titty croissants

Banned
    Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere.
    I got one game to work before, as I was hoping to play it.
    Can't remember what it was though but it MIGHT have been Perfect Dark.

7. ned

ned GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2014
    Regardless both are missing framebuffer effects like not/wii64, unlike the vc versions.

8. EclipseSin

EclipseSin FullMental Trollemist

Apr 1, 2015
    United States
    Vegeta's Hyrule
    I remember these. Yes you can use other roms with them by injecting them. There is actually a tool for injecting the roms that makes it much simpler. I'm sure it's buried somewhere on the net.

http://sizious.emunova.net/download/?idsys=3&idcat=22&idfile=120

Never looked into the nes ones, but it's likely possible as well for someone with more experience with this stuff.

Last edited by EclipseSin, Jun 29, 2016
  9. EarlAB

Banned
    Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere.
    But it requires the ROMS to be under 3MB last I used it.

10. EclipseSin

Apr 1, 2015
    United States
    Vegeta's Hyrule
    You mean 32MB I think, and yea I think so. So no RE2 or Conker at least. Maybe some others. Compatability wasn't that great for games I wanted to use though iirc.

KiiWii likes this.
  11. EarlAB

Banned
    Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere.
    Nope, it was 3 MB.

12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    The N64 emulator that Nintendo programmed for the Wii U have much more accurate framebuffer and RDP implementation, Not64 is nowhere nearly as accurate, and the Collector's Edition emulation is meh at best.

13. EclipseSin

Apr 1, 2015
    United States
    Vegeta's Hyrule
    I never had issues with the injector doing 32MB roms.

KiiWii likes this.
  14. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Perfect dark is 28.6mb and you said you used that so.......

15. EarlAB

Banned
    Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere.
    I said I might've, but then I remembered that the limit was 3MB.
    I have a bad memory.

16. Zaweet

Zaweet Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2013
    Canada
    Montreal, Quebec
    I have Star Fox 64 and Mario Kart 64 running through this. Both roms are 12mb. Any compatibility list I've seen is very small.
    You have to assume this is the case because Nintendo only needed this game to be compatible with Oot

Last edited by Zaweet, Jun 30, 2016
    KiiWii likes this.
  17. ned

ned GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2014
    Never tried it with any 64mb rom to see if it loads them via rebuilt image to get over the 32mb injection limit.
    One thing I did notice is in Nintendont it loses control input if you allow it to create the save file, this happens the next time you load the game, the save file is useless to anything but the zelda games anyway.

18. ned

ned GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2014
    I think I know now why non Zelda games don't save
    properly, the Zelda games don't use .eep or .mpk
    that some games use for saving.

Majora's Mask = 128kb .fla
    Ocarina of Time = 32kb .sra
    ---------------------------------
    .sra - SRAM
    .fla - FlashRAM
    .eep - EEPROM