Nintendo 3DS XL How to fully reset? Version is 4.5

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Jamesst20, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Jamesst20
    OP

Jamesst20 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2010
    United States
    Hi,

I have bought a new Nintendo 3DS XL which came in 4.4.

On first boot, it went to the setup and the setup crashed and the console rebooted. I redid the setup and this time it went fine but when it reached the Home Screen, it said there was an error and the console will reboot. The console rebooted and everything was fine. Obviously, the console often crash and reboot and I have no idea why. It does that more often in Settings. I did try reformating the console and it did just like the first time, crashed while setup, crashed after setup. The console also often freezes, it doesn't happen while playing but often in settings or menu, or during Gateway initialization and etc. I own a second 3DS which is in 4.4 and that own crashes almost never

I thought updating to 4.5 would fix the problem but it doesn't.

I do own a Gateway 3DS if it helps but is there a way to fix those annoying bugs....

2. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    sounds like a faulty console, you could try updating to 4.5, but im not sure if it will help or not

3. Jamesst20
    OP

Jamesst20 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2010
    United States

I already tried... as I said

4. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    sorry i missed that but basically it doesn't have anything to do with gateway they cant really do anything to help you the console is faulty

basically you should return it to where you bought it and get a replacement

5. Jamesst20
    OP

Jamesst20 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2010
    United States

I don't understand, how fautly is it.. I mean the console works, it doesn't always freeze, what could be fautly inside? It's probably the system being not well installed, isn't it? Isn't there a way to reinstall it?

6. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    well does it still freeze if you make it into emunand? and have you updated emunand to 8.1?

from the sound of it freezing on the homescreen but not in game i suppose its possible the system menu is corrupted or something, if this is the case there is no real way to fix it, only possibility would be formatting which you said didn't work and installing an update which you said didn't work

7. Jamesst20
    OP

Jamesst20 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2010
    United States
    More info!

I played Mario bros, original card and it always freeze or says there has been an error and the console need to be restarted (White pop up over homescreen).

For some reason, when it freezes, the sound keep playing..

I am updating EmuNAND to 8.1.0-19 to see if it fixes the issue.

8. Jamesst20
    OP

Jamesst20 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2010
    United States
    Nope... Even when running EmuNand 8.1 + Mario it still freezes.... Why :( What could be deffect

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    tbh idk, could be something wrong like CPU or RAM........there no real way of knowing exactly what it is, has it been damaged at any point i.e dropped or water in it....that could lead to hardware faults which could intermittently crash the system

10. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Try booting your console without an SD card inserted. Sometimes, SD cards bugger around with the system.

gamesquest1 likes this.
  11. Jamesst20
    OP

Jamesst20 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2010
    United States

Tried :(

12. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    and i suppose it might be worth while testing the battery from the other system and see if it persists.....but that's all i can think of now that might be causing it

actually i suppose you should try it with nothing in the game card slot either and see if it stays on

13. Jamesst20
    OP

Jamesst20 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2010
    United States

The battery could have an impact, if so how :P ?

14. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    well im not sure it could really but it at least rules it out as a easily replaceable part, i imagine a failing battery could cause issues, any ways its worth a shot

as long as both 3ds's are XL's all you will need to do is undo the 2 screws on the back of each console, the battery is under the clip on backplate

15. Jamesst20
    OP

Jamesst20 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2010
    United States

I am not going to use a screwdriver on it but thanks for the clue :) I don't want to take the chance to void its waranty, bought it yesterday at WaltMart, I have 14 days to return

16. Ryanrocks462

Ryanrocks462 Wii U/3DS Hacker.. Will test anything, A Pirate

Banned
    Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    California
    null

17. dbcopter

dbcopter Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2014
    Why would you void the warranty? There is no seal to be broken and battery replacements are legit anyway. Don't think they would make it so easy if they didn't want you to do it.

Jamesst20 likes this.
  18. Gruntzer

Gruntzer GBAtemp Regular

Jan 19, 2014
    Libya
    i once read that a faulty screen ribbon attachment can cause this , it wont hurt if you try and fiddle with it .

i read that you don't want to use a screwdriver , but i will just leave it here , someone else might have the same issue.

Jamesst20 likes this.