Hardware Others Nintendo 3DS XL: Endless scrolling

RhineArrow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My Old 3DS XL had problems, so I tried to repair the internal joystick. After no success I bought a new joystick. After substituting the joystick another problem occurred: endless scrolling, like the down D-Pad in the menu is always pressed. I bought another motherboard, the problem was still here. I disconnected the joystick and removed the D-Pad plastic buttons, still when I power on the console, it starts scrolling
I don't know what to do, it continues to scroll even if they're both detached. Since they were disconnected anyway, I tend to exclude D-Pad and joystick, and since I tried with two motherboards I tend to exclude motherboard internal faults too.
Note, first motherboard has Side-B2-1 on it, the second Side-B2-2

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The joystick is most likely not properly connecting on one or more of the pins (two are for power, the other two are for the signals of vertical and horizontal movement), the 3DS behaves like this in that case since it's getting no proper signal from the joystick and thinks that it's stuck in one specific position. Are you sure you correctly and fully inserted the joystick's ribbon cable into the connector on the motherboard? You can try pushing it in a little further with some tweezers while inserting it. It's also possible that the cable of the joystick is damaged, look on the cable carefully from both sides, if you see anything that looks like a cut on the cable then it is most likely the problem.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

RhineArrow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The joystick is most likely not properly connecting on one or more of the pins (two are for power, the other two are for the signals of vertical and horizontal movement), the 3DS behaves like this in that case since it's getting no proper signal from the joystick and thinks that it's stuck in one specific position. Are you sure you correctly and fully inserted the joystick's ribbon cable into the connector on the motherboard? You can try pushing it in a little further with some tweezers while inserting it. It's also possible that the cable of the joystick is damaged, look on the cable carefully from both sides, if you see anything that looks like a cut on the cable then it is most likely the problem.
As I said, it happens even if the joystick is disconnected. Doesn't matter if the joystick cable isn't inserted and there is no D-Pad, when powered on it will scroll down regardless

Last edited by RhineArrow,

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
As I said, it happens even if the joystick is disconnected. Doesn't matter if the joystick cable isn't inserted and there is no D-Pad, when powered on it will scroll down regardless
What I said still applies since it's not detecting any signal from the joystick when it's simply not connected there at all.

RhineArrow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is the fact that after a while it stops relevant? Besides the joystick cable looks fully operational and I have no idea on how to check the issue source

RhineArrow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's also normal, could you post pictures of both the cable by itself and inserted into the motherboard's connector here?
Here they are, the joystick is freshly bought

Attachments

• IMG_20211125_185111.jpg
    IMG_20211125_185111.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20211125_184812.jpg
    IMG_20211125_184812.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20211125_184754.jpg
    IMG_20211125_184754.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 95

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It definitely doesn't look fully inserted on the first picture, try it again more precisely with tweezers or something. The little gray locking piece on the connector should be lifted up about 90 degrees (to the side you insert the cable from), and don't be forceful with it, you'll only risk breaking the cable or the connector like that. If the cable seems to go back out by itself while inserting it, you can keep holding it with whatever tool you'll be using while moving the gray piece into the locked position again.

RhineArrow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It definitely doesn't look fully inserted on the first picture, try it again more precisely with tweezers or something. The little gray locking piece on the connector should be lifted up about 90 degrees (to the side you insert the cable from), and don't be forceful with it, you'll only risk breaking the cable or the connector like that. If the cable seems to go back out by itself while inserting it, you can keep holding it with whatever tool you'll be using while moving the gray piece into the locked position again.
No idea why but I can't manage to fully insert it, I've been just a little forceful and I risked damaging the cable
P.S. I'm using professional tweezers for phone reparations

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No idea why but I can't manage to fully insert it, I've been just a little forceful and I risked damaging the cable
P.S. I'm using professional tweezers for phone reparations
Please try another circle pad.
Yes, I have read it is brand new. I once got a 2DS touch panel. Looked perfectly. Also brand new. Dead on arrival.

Also: What is that black square right next to the cable on the circle pad? I can't remember having seen that before (neither on the circle pad in my O3DSXL, nor in my spare parts box is something like that).

Reactions: IC_

RhineArrow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Please try another circle pad.
Yes, I have read it is brand new. I once got a 2DS touch panel. Looked perfectly. Also brand new. Dead on arrival.

Also: What is that black square right next to the cable on the circle pad? I can't remember having seen that before (neither on the circle pad in my O3DSXL, nor in my spare parts box is something like that).
Guess I'll be forced to buy another circle pad... sigh
Anyway, I have no fuckin' idea

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Could you also post a picture of the connector with the locking piece lifted up? This might be a crazy theory, but maybe there's something stuck inside of it that's preventing you from inserting the cable, could even be a part of the old circle pad's cable that got broken off. But besides that it's probably the best idea to try with another circle pad if you run out of other things to try.
Looks like a foam pad to me, probably nothing special or worth noting.

hunterx020

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thank you everyone, I've managed to fix things by replacing the joystick without breaking the connector.
Sorry for late answering
Man i really need ur help. I left my 3ds XL in the charger but turned off for weeks. Today i decided to play again but suddenly screen keeps scrolling down on its own. When i press the circle pad up it stays on that position but if i let go it starts to move down again. Even in games it keeps happening. What do i need to do?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards