Nintendo 3ds not booting even with the latest luma version

BrocoLaco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi everyone! Hope you are doing well!

So, I have this problem with my nintendo 3ds. It used to work quite well in the past but i noticed something strange happening every once in a while. While I was using my sd card, plugging it into my computer and putting cias exc, the 3ds would casually stop working (Blue light turning on then off). It happened so casually I didn't know what was specifically causing it. In the past I solved the problem by restoring an old sd backup and everything went fine. Until that didn't seem to work anymore. My 3ds doesn't boot, no matter what I do. I tried a lot of things. Changing sd card, changing micro sd card with the same reader, using another backup (used to work at first but then it stopped). I tried following the lost sd card guide on 3dshacksguide, but even that didn't work. I tried opening my 3ds, but I'm not that much of an expert when it comes to circuits, so I didn't notice if something was off.

Plus, since I modded the 3ds years ago and made the mistake of not following the official guide, I never followed the CTRNAND Luma3ds section, so my 3ds can't boot without sd card. Do you have any idea of what could be causing the problem or how I can solve it?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
When B9S doesn't find a valid boot.firm (either on SD or on NAND) it turns the console off.

First of all: Remove any game or flashcart from the game slot. I've had this myself. My 2DS just wouldn't turn on no matter what I tried. Until it turned out the R4 was the culprit.

Before you start any tests, make sure it is software shutting down the console. Hardware damage (worn flex cables, bad connection) can cause similar issues. Often, but not always, a popping sound can be heard when the console shuts off abruptly on hardware problems. In this case the blue LED turns off immediately. B9S shutting down the console in a controlled way lets the blue LED fade off.

Continue with the basic process of elimination – find out if the problem is the SD or the console:
  • Do the Quad reformat on an SD. Run a full check with h2testw or F3 on the empty SD
  • Copy only latest Luma3DS boot.firm to the empty SD. No other file is needed to boot.
  • Try multiple FAT32 formatted SDs (different brands) containing nothing but boot.firm
If you tried some different, checked, FAT32 formatted SDs with the boot file and got no luck, we can safely assume the problem is not related to the SD.
  • Have a look at the contacts of the console SD reader as good as possible. Anything dirty? Bent? Corroded?
    • Try (very carefully!) cleaning. Compressed air (not too strong please) and/or isopropyl/rubbing alcohol
    • Maybe you can support the connection by with a piece of paper on the SD so the the SD is pushed a little harder against the contacts.
  • For removable SD readers (O3DS, N3DS, N3DSXL) make sure it is correctly connected to the motherboard
    • Consider replacing the reader – they aren't expensive. For O3DSXL, O2DS, N2DSXL this is soldering work – not beginner friendly
Good luck!

Reactions: Rayan92

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16