Nintendo 3DS' Mii Plaza will be updated by the end of the year

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by MigueelDnd, Aug 1, 2011.

1. MigueelDnd
    OP

Member MigueelDnd GBAtemp Fan

United States
    [​IMG]

"The following comes from Satoru Iwata...
    - by the end of the year, the Mii Plaza will be updated with new features
    - various titles are in development that will take advantage of your Miis
    - this software will see release this year and next

- the original price of the 3DS was a challenge for third parties
    - third parties would say "Even if they are interested in this game, they can't buy it," or "We placed a big bet that the 3DS would sell without question, and are a bit disappointed."
    - now third parties are saying "We're extremely relieved" and "This will definitely sell."
    - Iwata admitted that retailer revenue will go down, but there will be an overall benefit from more systems sold
    - One retailer from America was so pleased that he said "It's like Christmas has come early!"
    - Nintendo is holding a "Price Protection" program where to refund retailers that bought the 3DS in bulk at its original price
    - Most at Nintendo feel that they missed a price opportunity with the Cube, and they don't want to miss that opportunity again with the 3DS
    - the success of the Wii and DS have built up money for Nintendo so that they're in a position to take bigger risks, like the 3DS price cut and Wii U in general
    - Iwata says the current 3DS software lineup is more targeted to young males, and this has to do with the system not launching during the holiday rush
    - 3DS has a low adoption rate among females
    - Iwata says usage among females is higher than sales indicate, due to one person buying and a family using
    - the trend for young males purchasing the 3DS is even greater overall
    - Nintendo is still working on spreading the information on younger players and 3D, as some people are confused about what is safe and what isn't
    - this spreading of info will continue on through the year
    - 3DS' adoption rate among young users is low due to the system not being available during a holiday season
    - the price also made a hurdle for families that had more than one kid
    - Iwata believes the current sales situation and demographic will change greatly in 4 months"​
    [/p]

I kinda saw the Mii Plaza update coming, I think we should expect more customization options and things like that. Hopefully one of those Mii-related games is a sequel to Find Mii, that game was pretty entertaining! Although an eShop or retail title would be pretty good, too; maybe a "new IP" by Nintendo? Something a la Kinect Adventures? I dunno, who knows what Nintendo has under its sleeve.

It's nice to see them confident with 3DS and WiiU and it's also pretty good to see that 3rd parties reacted well to the price drop. Hopefully we'll see more support.

So, what would you want to see in both the Mii Plaza update and the Mii related games?

[​IMG]Source

2. Nebz

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    Glad to hear about Mii Plaza getting an update and the "Price Protection" Program for retailers sounds alright. I'm just worried that since it's believed to be "a low adoption rate among females" that we'll be seeing more shovelware dedicated to them. [​IMG]

3. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Well, this is great news. The 3rd party is rapidly accepting the 3DS again! Nintendo is 100% guaranteed to rebound.

The price cut was a really smart move. And Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 will certainly help sales.

4. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Should be target to young males regardless. ie Senran Kagura [​IMG]

That has to be Miis in Mario Kart. SSB in the future should have as well.
    Doesn't even need to be custom. It can use power and moves from real characters.

Imagine a mii with kirby abilities. [​IMG]

5. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Sounds cool. Glad to see the Mii plaza getting an update, should be interesting to see what they come up with.

6. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    That's good news, the 3DS Mii Maker is already better than that of the Wii's, and I always thought there was room for improvement.

7. Nebz

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    lol Like on the DS... the majority of those Imagine titles, I Love _____, and whatever else about dolls, kittens, and ponies. I guess it makes sense since they want to pull in that group but I mean coooome ooooon. It's not that big of a deal but maybe if they just calmed down on the amount of titles it wouldn't slightly bother me.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with what's heading our way from Nintendo and for the 3DS.

8. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    That's cool, I've already cleared the Mii Plaza games, that is complete the Streetpass Quest twice over and collected all of the puzzle pieces.

You know that some, maybe all of the 3D puzzle pictures were 3D graphic demos made for E3 2010? The Super Mario Galaxy graphic definitely was.

9. SuperMarioMaster

Member SuperMarioMaster GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Those Mii cupcakes look cool! ...Oh, they're updating the Mii plaza. That's cool as well.

10. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    about damn time. i mean, what's the point of getting Link's Hat for your Mii, if you can't even take a measly snapshot of it? they should've just made it so that data between Mii Maker and Mii Plaza can go back and forth. heck, data between one app and everything else should be connected.

i didn't see any updates for the Friend code system though, more particularly a hint of a real messaging system. pfffft.

11. Izzy011

Member Izzy011 The Business Bitch

United States
    I like the fact that they're updating it. I don't have anything to do on it anymore.
    I hate Streetpassing for people though, because it was designed for Japan in mind.

12. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Well at least Nintendo actually CARES about these kind of stuff...

13. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Mii Plaza sucks, there are barely any 3DS owners around here. So it's lame for me.

14. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    Well, it's good to see Nintendo taking action to preserve profit.

15. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    I'd be happy with a new quest (with new items to collect) and some more puzzles to collect. I don't even see any point to collecting coins any more.

16. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Oh yeah, invest money in Mii's. Cause, you know, EVERYBODY loves Mii's, AMIRITE? Jesus, the design of those pathetic cybernetic creatures is disgusting. XBox Avatars I can understand, but Mii's? They're absolutely featureless and need a complete revamp.

17. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Why would they need to have full features? They're Mii's.

18. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Because they're featureless? I mean, c'mon. Look at the flat faces, the textureless bodies... it's the 21st century, the WiiU's about to be released, the 3DS can do better then this too. I honestly don't like Mii's design and I do hope that they'll be swapped some day for something more "personal", with more customization options.

19. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    I like Miis, and while they could have more features, I like 'em.

20. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Notice how they take a small amount of data and features and still manage to capture what people look like.

If you don't like Mii's, than this news doesn't apply to you. No sense in whining about them.