Hardware Nintendo 3ds has wobbly top screen

nomercy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought nintendo product were sturdy but apperently not my 3ds has a wobbly top screen
and it making a snap noise when it opens should I take it back?

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
It is supposed to wobble a little to protect the hinge and the snap is normal - locks your upper screen in place.

If it doesn't wobble too much it's perfectly fine.

Reactions: 1 person

tiggerlator

Trophies
XP
Country
Mine has a little play in the left hand hinge, but i bought it second hand and it works fine so feck it. It snaps locked when opened properly and does not wobble so i don't give a rats behind.

Phyl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I once read on the Nintendo website that you can send your 3DS in to fix its hinge.
It said the top screen should move a little, but I have the same problem as you.
My 3DS top screen wobbles 1-1.5cm either way. It 'snaps' into place, but still wobbles a fair bit. It's annoying when using gyro controlls because the screen tilts back and forth as it pleases.

Once it becomes a real bother I'll send it in to Nintendo to get fixed.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3...a/ts_system.jsp
Housing and Hinge > System hinge problems (loose).

bloodliketheatla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine also wobbles and I didn't know if that was normal or not. The DS "phat" I have kind of did the same thing so I assumed it was normal.

It's actually pretty annoying and I'd rather have another one if this isn't normal.

It won't move unless I kind of shake the system, and it won't completely snap shut just by shaking it, but it does wobble back and forth a bit like another poster said.

So how many people have this problem? And how many people have a 3DS that doesn't wobble at all? (Mine is black, btw.)

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Mine wobbles too, but nothing excessively. Probably about .5cm or a bit less either way, but only when I shake the ssystem. AFAIK this is normal.

bloodliketheatla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it difficult to comfortably hold the 3DS too. Before buying this the only DS I had was the old one, and while it was a little clunky looking, I found it much more comfortable.

I notice that when playing my left index finger now automatically goes up to the top screen to "brace" the device otherwise the weight/balance feels completely off.

This also helps keep the screen from "wobbling" but sometimes when the playing gets a little too intense I will press too hard and the top screen snaps back into the furthest position.

Anyway, the overall design is pretty annoying, but even though I haven't played a DSL or DSi, I imagine those are similar. Sadly, I am guessing this new "cradle" device with the extra analog stick, etc. is going to make it MUCH more comfortable to hold. Although I don't want to be carryign that around...

Nintendo should have designed it in a shape more similar to the PSP or Vita instead of the weird square design but who knows how well that would work with the flip-up dual screens. I guess dual-screen is probably inherently hard to design well.

I am thinking of getting rid of the 3DS and getting a DSi XL because I currently ONLY play DS/DSi games on it. I just wonder if all of these new DSiware games would transfer from 3DS to DSi XL. I highly doubt they will even though the other way around is possible.

D

Deleted User

Not normal. Sent to Nintendo. Not normal. Repairs happening now.
4/5 other 3DSes compared have a cushioned feel when locking into place.
The cracking is not normal.
Not.
Normal.
Here is an emote to lighten the mood.
smile.gif

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most 3DS consoles will have a bit of a wobble to it.. As long as it's staying locked in place and isn't excessively wobbling, don't worry about it. Just make sure you treat it with care, and not open and close it like you're a 5 year old, lol.

Besides, it won't be long before repair parts are on the net, if they already aren't.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
but my friends is really sturdy and doesnt snap I guess he got a perfect 3ds
Well, how old is yours compared to him? I noticed that the older it is, the slightly looser it is. I got my 3DS used, and it's sturdy, but a little loose, whereas my girlfriend's was used but "like NIB", and it's as tight as can be.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?