Nintendo 3DS Hacking News - Possible New Flash Cart and 3DS 7.0 Keys Leaked

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The Sky3DS, on the other hand, says it supports the newest version of Nintendo's hardware, which means any game released up until now will work on the flashcard as long as the user can find the files online. Plus, it doesn't appear to require any software hacks, unlike other such devices: The Sky3DS reportedly works after simply slotting it into the 3DS like a game. That could make it harder for Nintendo to combat.

umm am i the only one who thinks this actually might be the Achilles heel of this hw emulation flashcard ? Since it doesn't exploit anything it might be easier for nintendo to beat it with fw or new games.

To put Nintendo's problem in perspective, illegal downloads of last year’s popular Pokemon X and Y games have exceeded 527,000 on a popular ROM site, according to publicly available stats. For a thought experiment, imagine if each of those downloads represented a unique user who could have bought the games for $39.99 a pop: That’s a potential (if exaggerated) loss of $21,074,730 in revenue from two games alone.
Yeah, cos everyone who downloaded it is a cheap bastard that would pay this much for a handheld game... I bet more than half of people who downloaded it doesn't even have a 3ds ;D

Subzero100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how about your just buy the games instead? they are cheap enough, and there really isn't alot of games out for the 3ds that are worth owning just to go the flash route anyway. This isn't the ds anymore era when hundreds of games were being released.

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
this is retarded, unconfirmed? there's video proof. and the $120 is bogus, it's just a place holder price on one single website. another website has it for $0.00, should we start reporting that it's free?
funny that this site is reporting that the functionality is unconfirmed yet the price is.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
this is retarded, unconfirmed? there's video proof.
Looks like someone forgot about ACE3DS Pro. Or the Evo3DS. Or even Crown3DS to a certain extent. All had video proof of concept. None were released, at least not under the aforementioned names.

and the $120 is bogus, it's just a place holder price on one single website. another website has it for $0.00, should we start reporting that it's free?
funny that this site is reporting that the functionality is unconfirmed yet the price is.
Hence the word "supposedly". It was the from the first site to announce it iirc, and at the time of writing, they were the only ones who seemed to have any info. We are aware that it is a placeholder price at this point but I believe none of us will put it past them to charge that price. Besides, $120 isn't technically unreasonable for a flashcart. Flashcarts from the days of old were hell expensive and GW started out pretty pricey too. I'm not saying it's worth it. Just pointing out that it is not that ridiculous an amount to be ignored.

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
umm am i the only one who thinks this actually might be the Achilles heel of this hw emulation flashcard ? Since it doesn't exploit anything it might be easier for nintendo to beat it with fw or new games.

Yeah, cos everyone who downloaded it is a cheap bastard that would pay this much for a handheld game... I bet more than half of people who downloaded it doesn't even have a 3ds ;D

I have a 3DS & I downloaded it but still plan to buy the actual game to support the developers

Reactions: Michierusama

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
how about your just buy the games instead? they are cheap enough, and there really isn't alot of games out for the 3ds that are worth owning just to go the flash route anyway. This isn't the ds anymore era when hundreds of games were being released.

Umm no they're not. But then again the cheap depends on where you live and how much your money is worth. But the fact a handheld game costs as much as new triple aaa console game is a joke already. I won't even compare it to pc game prices.

Anyway, once you have to survive whole month for less than 200$ you'll understand what i'm talking about.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
if this true...
gallery_4_8_22125.jpg

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To put Nintendo's problem in perspective, illegal downloads of last year’s popular Pokemon X and Y games have exceeded 527,000 on a popular ROM site, according to publicly available stats. For a thought experiment, imagine if each of those downloads represented a unique user who could have bought the games for $39.99 a pop: That’s a potential (if exaggerated) loss of $21,074,730 in revenue from two games alone.

No, the worse part is this: "As of September 30, 2014, Nintendo reports 45.42 million units have been shipped worldwide ..." and "Pokemon X and Pokemon Y have collectively sold over 12 million copies on 3DS, it's been announced...." (the latter posted on April 7, 2014, so I'd presume the figures are even better than that). So, on the one hand with ~26% of your users buying the game you have actual (not just "potential (if exaggerated)") revenue of $479,880,000. And at the same time, it's some ~1% (probably at least 2-3x that) of your users who pirate?

Yep, let's hammer home those lost sales due to piracy instead of the fact that ~70% of users don't even want the game enough to pirate it for free, so getting them to pay a dime for it.... Not that I'm trying to justify piracy at all. I just think it funny that everyone else isn't being yelled at "why aren't you buying more games"? I mean, I guess it makes sense because the pirates at least display *some* interest in the games, but since the whole basis of the success for the Wii and Android is precisely by growing the market and trying to stir up demand, it really misses the point to focus on Flash Carts and the potential for piracy.

I mean, at a fundamental level, there's no reason a Flash Cart has to be synonymous with piracy.Imagine if tomorrow most third party developers started supporting direct sales of 3DS games to Sky3D users at $1-$5 for eShop quality games? Or if they spent some effort and fixed up (presuming the current homebrew scene needs the help) the free 3ds compilers/libraries and could mostly bypass the development kit costs? Really, Nintendo's major advantages now over smart phones are (1) consistent hardware, (2) better battery life generally, (3) physical buttons, and (4) something of a lock on third party developers. The only thing keeping the last one is the high payout rate based on a high cost of games. So, yea, it's something of a suicide pact to go against the norm or to at all call attention to why a mere ~500,000 in piracy results in so much of a stated monetary loss while piracy in the Android arena is quite different (and goes to show why a stated dollar amount isn't useful). :/

PS - All the above is basically just repeating what I've heard said before (especially noting how the debate skims over the elephant in the room of the largest group simply holding zero interest in the game in question (or I guess being very incompetent, very strict to their own code, very legally inclined, or some combination of the above)) and basically everything Nintendo does to try to make its system(s) unique at the expense of keeping some of the more important (1, 2, and 3) around just undercuts them. But, whatever. :/

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
News flash, piracy ain't theft - piracy involves the unauthorized copying of goods. Theft implicates that once stolen, is gone for good; when people download ROMs, the games are still there.

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
News flash, piracy ain't theft - piracy involves the unauthorized copying of goods. Theft implicates that once stolen, is gone for good; when people download ROMs, the games are still there.

no one cares if the original item is still there, it literally makes no difference to the company

for every person who pirates they still have one less sale, and someone out there is enjoying the product without having paid for it

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
This is great news, will it work on the "new" 3DS XL (although we have no clue when itl come out in NA . . .) because i am holding off to purchase the "new" model.
Although maybe by the time its out here there will be more flashcart available :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr