Nintendo 3DS Firmware v9.8 Released

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Ryukouki, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Ryukouki
    OP

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    nintendologo.png

A new firmware update for the Nintendo 3DS has been released earlier today, bringing the console out to version 9.8. The change log is basically non-existent, serving as a stability update that enhances the overall user experience. We know by now what that usually means though....

Based on initial browsing, the Sky 3DS is confirmed to still work on the latest firmware. Feel free to discuss it here. Gateway 3DS and other flash chips unknown, will update with more information.

:arrow: Source - Nintendo

Gruntzer, nxwing and blinkzane like this.

2. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I can confirm that the R4i Gold DS flashcart still works, if anyone is still worried about that.

nxwing, cvskid and 4ur0r like this.
  3. thekarter104

thekarter104 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Time to update rxTools emuNAND.

4. 160R

160R Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2006
    cvskid likes this.
  5. xBleedingSoulx

xBleedingSoulx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 20, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Barnsley, England
    Gateway Emunand partly works. Pressing select doesn't bring up multirom menu for some reason, so no playing .3ds games but all the games/apps previously installed via .cia still work.

6. Jwiz33

Jwiz33

Banned
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
    Smealum updated regionFOUR to work on 9.8, so the remaining arm11 CN exploits weren't patched

nxwing likes this.
  7. DJPlace

DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    why would people update there nand on the latest firmware on gateway? you can still play online with it? (also i know about eshop)

8. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Great, now it's just going to nag endlessly.

Seriously, one annoying thing is how almost literally every time I open up the 3DS when these arrive is it nagging me to want to update. Yes, I could just turn the wireless switch off, but then I can't streetpass or spotpass unless I turn it on again.

It is nitpicky, and I know I can just simply decline it (unlike the WiiU, which is why I'll never buy one), but it is annoying.

9. jrebey

jrebey GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2015
    United States
    Huh? I've literally never updated my Wii U and it has never nagged me about an update.

10. codezer0

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    When did you get yours?

There was a recent-ish 5.* update that also updated the EULA... and the scum-bag thing about it was among the following:
    • New verbiage basically saying that Nintendo has the right to update all or part of the system software of the WiiU without your explicit consent at any time
    • if you did not wish to apply this update, the ability to decline was curiously removed.
    It was especially ridiculous because, unlike the 3DS, there was no way to keep using the system, until you accepted the new EULA terms. You couldn't even play the games you own offline, or play a disc game meant for the Wii, until you accepted the EULA update.

If they ever pulled that crap on the 3DS, I'd say sayonara to Nintendo for good. Problem is, once it was pushed, it effectively disabled your console, and disabled your ability to continue using the system until you accepted it. This is especially frustrating for me, because pretty much the first thing I would do as soon as I unbox a WiiU is to hack its Wii mode, and see about that home-brew to start loading GameCube ISO's and be able to play from the tablet controller.

11. jrebey

jrebey GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2015
    United States
    December, but now looking at the version I'm on 5.3.2U and that seems to be the latest version. My 3DS has received 4 or so updates since I got it like 2 months ago so I had assumed they updated the Wii U at the same frequency.

12. codezer0

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Then you probably already had the EULA update and skipped it. :glare:

13. velison

velison Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 16, 2009
    Switzerland

and new white card works prefectly yet(drectly support 9.8)-------www.r4isdhc.com.cn

14. koyuki_kun

koyuki_kun Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2010
    Mexico
    Mexico,D.F
  15. codezer0

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Something seems wrong with that link. As soon as I try to download it, it's immediately blocked and flagged with a virus/malware warning.

16. koyuki_kun

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2010
    Mexico
    Mexico,D.F
    this link is for the gw official website, click in dowload now

17. codezer0

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    I even went back to the gateway-3ds website itself. The only two listings are that zippyshare virus'd up link, and one from box that refuses to download no matter how many times I click.

18. koyuki_kun

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2010
    Mexico
    Mexico,D.F
    work fine

Last edited by koyuki_kun, Jun 3, 2015
    codezer0 likes this.
  19. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Here you go, I downloaded it and scanned it with ClamAV. Sorry for the slow upload, I generally don't use my host for this kind of stuff.

http://tecxero.sytes.net/bucket/GATEWAY ULTRA 3.2.2 PUBLIC BETA.7z

codezer0 likes this.
  20. PokeChampion

PokeChampion GBAtemp Fan

Apr 5, 2014
    United States
    What about for the old 3DS? And on emuNAND version 9.7