Hardware Nintendo 2DS: Volume slider broken and stuck on the loudest settings.

Amadren

Pasta Hoarder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I dropped it and now it's broken and i am unable to tune down the loudness. The volume slider works fine I am able to push it up and down but the volume is stuck at the loudest setting. I want to know if i can fix it myself or do i need to send it for repairs.

Thx :)

mrGREEK360

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does the slider feel loose, is it as firm as before. If loose it probably broke or somehow popped off the slider that's on the board. If it's still firm then to me that's odd, but I'm not familiar with the 3ds internals but if it was built like the other volume sliders on other nintendo handhelds then it should be loose unless somehow dropping it broke the solder joint attached to the volume slider,

Personally there should be an option in the os to use any of the physical buttons like wifi/3d/volume/power I know they have this option but would be nice if it had option for the volume and 3d intensity option in os.

Unless you have opened a DS/dsi/3ds before I wouldn't attempt a repair as these things are a bitch to put together and very easy to tear ribbon cables, also it's never as good when reassembled, creaking and fit not as good for some reason.

If you are using gateway flash cart and you send it into nintendo they will update the console before sending it back, if you use sky3ds this shouldn't be a problem as it works on latest firmware ATM.

If you are still under warranty and don't use gateway just send it to nintendo, if it's out of warranty call nintendo and ask how much the repair is but if it's more then 50$ you would be better off purchasing another 2ds as you can get them for 70-100$.

Personally I would leave it as is because when I play 3ds I blast the volume at home and if I'm outside with it I use headphones but still have it on 100% volume. Just use headphones when your somewhere that you don't want to blast a 3ds game volume.

Amadren

Pasta Hoarder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I can move the slider but I feel like a tiny resistence when I slide it to the up. Like if the slider on the PCB wasn't from the physical one.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I dropped it and now it's broken and i am unable to tune down the loudness. The volume slider works fine I am able to push it up and down but the volume is stuck at the loudest setting. I want to know if i can fix it myself or do i need to send it for repairs.

Thx :)
Without opening it up, it's hard to say for sure. It might be a plastic piece that's broken off, or something else.
If it's just a plastic piece that broke off, gluing it back together might be an easy fix. Either way, you can solder on a replacement slider.

Oh, and I found your post here :P https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/201044/Volume+slider+broken+and+stuck+on+the+loudest+settings.
Seems like that guy gave you a pretty good answer. You should try his suggestions.

mrGREEK360

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can move the slider but I feel like a tiny resistence when I slide it to the up. Like if the slider on the PCB wasn't from the physical one.

If you have experience opening consoles up then go watch a youtube disassembly video of the 2ds and see if the slider is broken. If not then look in your area for console repairs, usually small mom and pop gaming stores do repairs. I would strongly vote against opening it up if you never have opened up a handheld. I have and I have repaired a few yet I still tore the ribbon cable of my ds l I was trying to do a housing swap on.

Only repair this if its 100% needed, I see you have other 3ds so I would just leave the 2ds alone if you don't have the experience.

You could also try a cellphone repair shop to take apart the 2ds to see what's the problem with the slider.

What would be the reason of not just using headphones when you don't want people to hear, it's not like full volume is actually loud lol, imo it's pretty quite. I know it's annoying having your electronic broken but if it was me id frget about it. Atleast your volume is stuck on full and not stuck off.

Fabbbrrr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Reach volume slider is not that difficult on the 2ds. Once you take apart the back part, where the battery is located, you can easily take apart both sides of the console.

Amadren

Pasta Hoarder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok. Thank you very much. I'll try your solutions :)
If you have experience opening consoles up then go watch a youtube disassembly video of the 2ds and see if the slider is broken. If not then look in your area for console repairs, usually small mom and pop gaming stores do repairs. I would strongly vote against opening it up if you never have opened up a handheld. I have and I have repaired a few yet I still tore the ribbon cable of my ds l I was trying to do a housing swap on.

Only repair this if its 100% needed, I see you have other 3ds so I would just leave the 2ds alone if you don't have the experience.

You could also try a cellphone repair shop to take apart the 2ds to see what's the problem with the slider.

What would be the reason of not just using headphones when you don't want people to hear, it's not like full volume is actually loud lol, imo it's pretty quite. I know it's annoying having your electronic broken but if it was me id frget about it. Atleast your volume is stuck on full and not stuck off.
That's not mine :/ It's my little brother's one.

Without opening it up, it's hard to say for sure. It might be a plastic piece that's broken off, or something else.
If it's just a plastic piece that broke off, gluing it back together might be an easy fix. Either way, you can solder on a replacement slider.

Oh, and I found your post here :P https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/201044/Volume slider broken and stuck on the loudest settings.
Seems like that guy gave you a pretty good answer. You should try his suggestions.
That wasn't my post :P I was searching on google for my problem and I found it on another website. There were no answer and I'm not very good at english. So.... I copied/pasted it because I had exactly the same problem ^^
But, anyway, thanks for the link :P

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

insanebotv21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is rather simple to fix. opening it up will reveal that the volume slider is unattached. All you have to do is move it back onto the switch's knob, and it will be able to change volume.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That would've gone slow he's old +1