Nintendo 2DS Kiosk unit to retail conversion - spoiler alert you move a resistor.

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Matthew_P, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Matthew_P
    OP

Matthew_P Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hi there, I've been repairing a couple of 2DS consoles over the last couple of days and one of them refused to work without being permanently plugged in. Thanks to this forum I discovered that one of them was in fact a kiosk unit.
    Since it had a sticker on that said hardware modified and I had another unit in pieces to compare to i went on a hunt for the modification.
    Thankfully Nintendo were kind enough to forget to clean up the flux from the mod so I was able to find the spot fairly quickly.
    What they had done was remove a resistor from one spot and put a resistor to bridge some pads next to it.
    I measured the resistor that had been put in and it came in at 100ohm the one that was on the original retail motherboard was 10k.
    I figured it would't do any harm as long as there was some kind of resistance so I moved it from where it had been placed to make it look like the retail unit.
    I powered it up and it works just like a normal unit.
    It's an "easy" fix in that you only need to move one single resistor, but it IS a tiny tiny resistor so a good soldering iron and a steady hand is needed.
    I hope this helps. I've attached a visual guide.
    Oh and one more thing the Start and Select buttons had been disabled by replacing the rubber pads underneath the buttons with non moving ones. So to return it to full functionality you need to source some replacements. Sadly you'll probably have to buy a complete set of button pad replacements but I'm sure the other parts would be useful for other repairs.
    Kiosk conversion instructions.

Last edited by Matthew_P, Feb 14, 2018
  2. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Kinda cool, but seems like it would tank the value. I imagine kiosk pieces are worth more than standard units.

3. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    well then, make them ;)

4. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    Does it work without being plugged in now?

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    That's going to be very useful to some people. I've seen a bunch asking about this before but no one had figured out a solution.
    I wonder if this mod will have any long term effects, I'd imagine there's a reason the original resistor is 100 ohm. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable using the 10 ohm resistor for that without knowing exactly what the resistor is used for. Long term it might burn something (a chip leg, a fuse or something like that)
    But getting a 100 ohm one in the same form factor shouldn't be much of a problem. Even if you might have to buy like 10 or 100 of them. They're only a few cents a piece anyway.
    It's entirely possible that the power management chip is just sensing the resistance and switches between kiosk and normal mode depending, and it won't have any long term effects to use the wrong value resistor at all, but it's hard to tell if that's the case.

zoogie likes this.
  6. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    Nice, I doubt any long term damage will occur by doing this but if it does a 100ohm resister does not cost much to use instead. Next up, people should do this to the other kiosk models also as some people resorted to external battery solutions since the internal was disabled. This would fix and would make the Kiosk models more valuable since they can actually function with a battery.

7. Matthew_P
    OP

Matthew_P Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2018
    United Kingdom
    It functions exactly the same as a retail unit. I'm currently playing Super Smash Bros on it right now.

RedBlueGreen likes this.
  8. Karas288

Karas288 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 4, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Thats awesome glad to hear the kiosk model can be converted back to retail i just got a new 3ds that turns out is a kiosk model do you think the 3ds might be able to be converted to retail and run off the battery in a similar manner Im currently in the process of modding mine to cfw but cant finish it atm due to the home button not working lol Im going to get a retail 3ds soon and have a look at the resistors to see if its the same i will let you all know if i find anything

9. Mark McDonut

Mark McDonut GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster

Oct 8, 2008
    United States
    awesome work, thanks for sharing

10. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2018
    Romania
    Is it possible to do the same for the old 3ds xl?
    I've compared the boards and couldn't find any differences,

11. smileyhead

smileyhead This is definitely not a robotic component!

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    Would that mean you could convert some retail units to kiosk ones and sell them at a higher price? :thinking:

alivebacon likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted