Nintendo ‘Project Cafe’ Wii2 Game Controller To Have Camera?

coolness

PSN: Dutch_DarkLord
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
With the E3 2011 gaming conference only a month away, excitement is really building up around the next-generation Nintendo console. Dubbed as both the “Wii2? and “Project Cafe,” the new console remains mysterious except for some details leaked late last month, a confirmed revamp for preview at E3, and a recently leaked video. However, today, an insider source has confirmed that the game controller for the new console will feature a camera.

The Nintendo Wii2 has been rumored to feature 1080p HD display, capable of multiplayer screens that are streamed to each player’s game controller. The TV can even be completely turned off in these instances. The controller is rumored to have a 6.2-inch touchscreen display along with standard button layout and possibly a stylus.

The insider source confirmed most of the features rumored for the game controller, but could not confirm speculation that the controller would essentially be an Nintendo 3DS.

“The functions are the same,” the source said. “It is a standard wireless controller added with a front-facing camera and touch screen. That sounds far too much like a 3DS to me. But I can’t confirm this, Nintendo is being very cautious about the details.”

But knowing what we know now about the Nintendo 3DS DRM, we know to be cautious with that game controller camera. Nonetheless, the various methods of game play and augmented reality possibilities to come with the integration of a camera, are quite intriguing. Are you excited about the next-gen Wii?

Source

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting; thx for sharing.
smile.gif

Z

Zorua

Why the hell does the controller have a camera?
So is this going to be a move/kinect rip-off or something?

coolness

PSN: Dutch_DarkLord
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
lostdwarf said:
http://gbatemp.net/t290124-wii-successor-p...-e3?&st=120

see my posts on this page, i have been saying this for a while. i have a reliable source but its been ignored. more details in the link

It sure looks like you where ignored in that thread

QUOTE(Zorua @ May 21 2011, 04:57 PM) Why the hell does the controller have a camera?
So is this going to be a move/kinect rip-off or something?

Think of the cool extra`s it could have
biggrin.gif

hopefully it while be a 3D camera

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmmm this could be a fail or an win. Since with a camera you can virtualize yourself in the game. That would be awesome.(I mean that your in the game as a character. Like Photo Dojo on the DSi)

But if it is not like that and they want you to take photos of objects then. No.

I would still buy it at any circumstance.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'd personally much rather if the system had 1 webcam you can attach to the TV. People tend to keep their controllers on the level of their stomach as they play, not infront of their faces. As you play, you look on the TV screen, not on the controller.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Foxi4 said:
I'd personally much rather if the system had 1 webcam you can attach to the TV. People tend to keep their controllers on the level of their stomach as they play, not infront of their faces. As you play, you look on the TV screen, not on the controller.
Good point. Sometimes maybe the arms stretched it comes about the chest height but staring at the controller aint such a good idea for a home console.

Z

Zorua

Tanveer said:
Foxi4 said:
Good point. Sometimes maybe the arms stretched it comes about the chest height but staring at the controller aint such a good idea for a home console.

Yeah, but what if the controller could be used for taking pictures which could somehow be utilized in games?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Tanveer said:
Foxi4 said:

Maybe that's why they're supposedly mounting screens onto the controller, but still, why would I look at the tiny controller screen when I have a big-ass TV infront of me that shows a gajizillion times better picture?

Meh.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I hope this console is amazing as the Wii didn't appeal to me one bit and was the fitst Ninty console ever that I did not keep (sold after finishing Zelda TP, like a month after launch, even made a profit cuz of shortages lol).

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's true, I don't see what the problem is. As it's been stated, a lot of people play with the remotes near their stomachs/ on their laps. If the camera moves or swivels in anyway, it'll be able to catch your face without you moving around much. I mean, sit down with any controller in your hand - or with a DSi/3DS - the camera is facing right at you. If anything, it could be used to catch expressions during game play or take photo's prior to game play. Not a bad thing at all.

And the whole "streaming" idea is still an awesome one, I think. Games that "tunnel", like Four Swords or Crystal Chronicles already made excellent use of the GC technology. At the same time, depending on how it works, you wouldn't even need to be in the same room as the system itself. Makes it pretty ideal for those of us with small room set ups, or a small TV.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Windaga said:
If it's true, I don't see what the problem is. As it's been stated, a lot of people play with the remotes near their stomachs/ on their laps. If the camera moves or swivels in anyway, it'll be able to catch your face without you moving around much. I mean, sit down with any controller in your hand - or with a DSi/3DS - the camera is facing right at you. If anything, it could be used to catch expressions during game play or take photo's prior to game play. Not a bad thing at all.

It's facing you, that much is correct.

Your nostrills, to be more exact. I'm not quite sure if boogers are what anyone wants to show over webcam.

For a clear picture of the face, the camera has to be within a certain distance, on the same level as your head and facing you directly.

When you're holding a DSi/3DS, you're looking at it directly. When you play on a home console, you look a the screen infront of you.

Ergo, the camera should be above or below that screen.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
Windaga said:

It's facing you, that much is correct.

Your nostrills, to be more exact. I'm not quite sure if boogers are what anyone wants to show over webcam.

For a clear picture of the face, the camera has to be within a certain distance, on the same level as your head and facing you directly.

When you're holding a DSi/3DS, you're looking at it directly. When you play on a home console, you look a the screen infront of you.

Ergo, the camera should be above or below that screen.

If the controller has a screen and you're looking at it, the camera would be directly facing you (if it's centered like the 3DS, that is.) I doubt the purpose of the camera for a game like, Mario Kart for example, would be to display your face at all times. It'd be more about implication, which is up to the developers. The position of the camera itself would change the angle needed. If it's true, I'm sure it's something they took into account when positioning the camera. If it's just a straight facing camera, the game itself will likely instruct you to lift the controller, take a picture of your face, and then lower it. Or it could be an extended camera, like on of those that moves, which would allow the user to angle it however they want. At worst, it's just a simple addition.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.