Nintendo’s First-Ever Super Bowl Ad Features Nintendo Switch, The Legend of Zelda

For the first time ever, Nintendo will run an ad during the Super Bowl. The 30-second spot, which along with an extended 90-second version can be seen here:

Full Press Release said:
The ad also features a new song by Imagine Dragons called “Believer” that premiered worldwide Jan. 31.

The star of the ad, which is scheduled to run during the game’s fourth quarter on Feb. 5, is Nintendo Switch, which combines the power of a home console with the mobility of a hand-held video game system.

The star of the ad, which is scheduled to run during the game’s fourth quarter on Feb. 5, is Nintendo Switch, which combines the power of a home console with the mobility of a hand-held video game system. People can play on their TVs at home, then grab Nintendo Switch and continue playing seamlessly wherever they go.

The ad also shows off The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which breaks conventions to become the next defining moment in the classic franchise. It offers the most immersive world that Nintendo has ever created and sends players on an adventure they will never forget.

“The most anticipated video game system and video game of the year will be seen on the biggest stage of the year,” said Nicolas Chavez, Nintendo of America’s Vice President of Marketing. “Nintendo Switch will change how, when and where people play games. It’s only fitting that we’re changing how, when and where we advertise those games.”

The soundtrack to Nintendo’s ad, “Believer” by Imagine Dragons, is available now on iTunes, Apple Music, Google Play, Amazon mp3 and Spotify, and is part of an upcoming new album from the band. This is not the first collaboration between Nintendo and Imagine Dragons, whose members are longtime fans of the video game company and The Legend of Zelda franchise. At The Game Awards in 2014, the band closed the show by performing a medley of music from The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask with veteran Nintendo composer Koji Kondo.

The extended cut of the ad demonstrates the versatility of Nintendo Switch by showcasing the system in a variety of locations where home video games are not traditionally played, from a classroom to a kitchen to a laundromat. It also shows a number of upcoming single- and multiplayer games for the system, and how Nintendo Switch introduces fun new ways to play.

The names and launch timing of Nintendo Switch games featured in the extended cut include The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (March 3), 1-2-Switch (March 3), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (April), ARMS (spring), Splatoon 2 (summer), Just Dance 2017 from Ubisoft (March 3) and Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers from Capcom (launch timing TBD). Nintendo Switch will be available at a suggested retail price of $299.99.

LZBOTW_TVC_9.jpg

:arrow: Source: GBAtemp Inbox

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
if they threw in madden 17 (do the have this?) the switch might appeal to dudes who watch super bowl, but I doubt that.

Reactions: xile6

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, it was great, way better than this one (and I do like this one mind you), here is the Pokemon ad from last year, though this is the long cut, the Super Bowl version was a shorter 30 second cut:

Not really a pokemon fan. But to each their own.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if they threw in madden 17 (do the have this?) the switch might appeal to dudes who watch super bowl, but I doubt that.
I'm a huge football fan, from high school all the way to the NFL, and I play all sorts of games. Not just Madden. Thank you very much.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really a pokemon fan. But to each their own.

Even if you're not a Pokemon fan, I'd think you could still find that to be kind of an inspirational commercial, it's really just sending a message of you can do anything as long as you believe in yourself and keep at it. It's hardly even really about Pokemon.

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if you're not a Pokemon fan, I'd think you could still find that to be kind of an inspirational commercial, it's really just sending a message of you can do anything as long as you believe in yourself and keep at it. It's hardly even really about Pokemon.
Sry I got bored with it after about 4 sec.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rip ad campaign money
Went to something not even remotely worth it

Considering they did an ad last year in the Super Bowl, I don't see the big deal, and the Pokemon ad wasn't even advertising a game, it was just an ad to celebrate 20 years of Pokemon, telling you to train on. If they have no issue paying to advertise that, then paying to advertise something that will make them money is certainly going to be more beneficial for Nintendo than their ad last year.

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering they did an ad last year in the Super Bowl, I don't see the big deal, and the Pokemon ad wasn't even advertising a game, it was just an ad to celebrate 20 years of Pokemon, telling you to train on. If they have no issue paying to advertise that, then paying to advertise something that will make them money is certainly going to be more beneficial for Nintendo than their ad last year.
Pokemon isn't made by Nintendo.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon isn't made by Nintendo.

The Pokemon Company is a subsidiary of Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't make the games, but they're part owners of the franchise. Plus you can tell that its the same exact marketing team making last years Pokemon ad (and the Sun and Moon reveal ad) as well as the Switch reveal ad and this new ad.

I've never watched breaking bad either.

I'd highly recommend it if you're looking for a really intense and good drama TV show.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can see that it isn't in the god damn cover. Treehouse and the presentation itself showed more shit than the cowboy thing.
I can't even:rofl:

Yeah, they already confirmed that 1,2, Switch is a bunch of mini games, showing off like 6 of them in the Treehouse stuff, and even then saying there were more games. Its a good thing that the shortened commercial that will actually air during the super bowl is focused just on Breath of the Wild. I'd be concerned if the Super Bowl ad was focusing on all the more social elements like we see in the extended full version, those kinds of ads don't really sell systems.

Imacaredformy2ds

Smartass
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah, they already confirmed that 1,2, Switch is a bunch of mini games, showing off like 6 of them in the Treehouse stuff, and even then saying there were more games. Its a good thing that the shortened commercial that will actually air during the super bowl is focused just on Breath of the Wild. I'd be concerned if the Super Bowl ad was focusing on all the more social elements like we see in the extended full version, those kinds of ads don't really sell systems.
IMO compelling games, a low price, and just a nice more "modern" look is what would've made the Switch an instant hit
But they dun fucked up

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMO compelling games, a low price, and just a nice more "modern" look is what would've made the Switch an instant hit
But they dun fucked up

For me, $300 is exactly what I expected, not disappointed in the price. Breath of the Wild is about as compelling of a launch title that I can think of, though I do think it'd be nice if Splatoon 2 or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe were also a launch title (but not both, you don't want blow your load on launch date). In terms of the look, I dig it, I don't have any complaints with the look of the Switch.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Regardless if the commercial was targeted properly, it's a lot better then what they did for the Wii-U.

Does anyone remember seeing a commercial for the Wii-U on TV?

Exactly. At least this time they are actually ***king trying to advertise it this time. :P

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think its worth posting what the actual 30 second ad that will air during the Super Bowl is, which has been cut into pretty much a Breath of the Wild ad while showing off the Switch:

Reactions: darkseekerliu

Imacaredformy2ds

Smartass
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Regardless if the commercial was targeted properly, it's a lot better then what they did for the Wii-U.

Does anyone remember seeing a commercial for the Wii-U on TV?

Exactly. At least this time they are actually ***king trying to advertise it this time. :P
I did a few times the last holiday seasons
I'm not kidding
I guess not that many people advertised lmao
Keep in mind I'm from TacoLand

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head