Nintendo’s First-Ever Super Bowl Ad Features Nintendo Switch, The Legend of Zelda

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by T-hug, Feb 1, 2017.

1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    For the first time ever, Nintendo will run an ad during the Super Bowl. The 30-second spot, which along with an extended 90-second version can be seen here:

LZBOTW_TVC_9.jpg

:arrow: Source: GBAtemp Inbox

2. Ryan Warren

Ryan Warren Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2015
    United States
    It's got me convinced. Maybe I should join the hype train? Anyways I'm glad Nintendo is putting up an ad during the super bowl where everyone can see it with a popular new song.

THATISRIGHT and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  3. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng A not so serious guy tbh... ;D

Aug 15, 2012
    New Caledonia
    Inside your miiind, and poof.
    Nintendo's Marketing for the switch really is brilliant.
    [​IMG]

4. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Huh, neat song, but I don't think they did that good a job with the commercial. It really looks like they're pushing the "wii" aspect of the Switch, with the motion/party games. I can't see that catering to the dudebro or older 30-somethings that watch the Super Bowl.

The Pokemon Super Bowl commercial they did last year, or was it for the Olympics? I forget. That one was pretty good. This one...doesn't really get me motivated to buy a Switch at all.

darkseekerliu likes this.
  5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Yeeeeeeah Chary basically hit the nail on the head for me. The vast majority of people watching the Superbowl don't really "coincide" with casual video game players.

But this is Nintendo, who apparently still thinks casual/party games are totally still relevant and didn't die out two years after the Wii released.

6. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    they should use their money for something more important than this -.- damn super bowl commercials are so freaking expensive that I doubt that it is worth it !

// watched it now
    not really good as well ... the only "good" thing they are showing is Zelda.
    And wtf are those stupid "mini games" they show. At least the good old Street Fighter from the last century looks good :/

Last edited by Youkai, Feb 1, 2017
  7. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    That is the extended cut but the 30 second cut that is actually airing is just the loner dude playing Zelda. Seems depressing to me.

I think that is going to fall way short and create no buzz at all. Even the extended cut is not memorable and will not be talked about in Monday.

Seems like a real lost opportunity.

Last edited by thorasgar, Feb 1, 2017
  8. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    that 1-2 switch continues to make the switch look like a joke :glare:

9. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    So that's why they're charging 70$ on a decent controller.

10. player594

player594 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 25, 2006
    United States
    You would be very surprised by how many fans of nfl football are also gamers. I'm sure this is a brilliant marketing idea. Kids all the way up to senior citizens watch the super bowl.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6adget and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  11. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I think that this could generate some interest, at the very least

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Honestly it would probably have been better if they had thrown footage of FIFA 2K16 and that basketball game up there as well, if they're trying to connect with the sports crowd

12. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    Even thought they have some silly things on the package (1 2 Shiat), I think they advertised it all very well :creep: ...I really liked the ad

13. Philip3ds

Philip3ds GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2015
    That is where I always play my portable consoles.B-)

Jiehfeng likes this.
  14. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three furries women
    at least, we now know that 1,2,switch isnt just about that cowboy gun minigame (1:21)

15. 6adget

6adget Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2016
    United States
    Sacramento, Ca.
    The super bowl is a family and friends event for a lot of people. family going to other family members houses and dragging their kids with them. I can imagine the kids being kinda grumpy because they would rather do anything, and i mean anything rather than hanging out with family. that is until all of a sudden they see a nintendo ad. they tell everyone "that's the game system I was telling you guys about. I can't wait to get one!". The adults see the change in the kids attitude so they pay attention to the short ad. Of course not everyone will be into it, but there is a reason those comercial spot cost so much. More people watch that game more than almost all other TV events throughout the year. Not everyone watching it are sports fans who don't game. My wife and I never really watch any sports, but we do watch the super bowl. Not only are you watching the two best teams of the year, but a lot of people, including us, also watch it for the funny commercials.

kehkou and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  16. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Saw this on youtube not to long ago.
    Looks bad ass and seems like they finally got something right for a change. Also notice that there isnt a ton of little kids and old people running around in it lol....
    Market more towards teens and adults. Which is great.

I cant wait to see what else they release and when on comes on normal tv.

17. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Does the Pokemon commercial during last year's super bowl not count as a Nintendo Super Bowl ad?

18. player594

Dec 25, 2006
    United States
    Honestly it would probably have been better if they had thrown footage of FIFA 2K16 and that basketball game up there as well, if they're trying to connect with the sports crowd[/QUOTE]

Not really. Not many American football fans like "soccer". Basketball maybe but not soccer.

Last edited by player594, Feb 1, 2017
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  19. player594

Dec 25, 2006
    United States
    Pokemon never counts as anything. Jk. But seriously, I don't even remember it.

20. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Oh, it was great, way better than this one (and I do like this one mind you), here is the Pokemon ad from last year, though this is the long cut, the Super Bowl version was a shorter 30 second cut:

Last edited by duffmmann, Feb 1, 2017
    SirBeethoven likes this.