Nintedno files patent for Gameboy classic

Foxchild

Goomba Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hoping they don't actually make it "mini". I'd rather have a full size gb classic preloaded w/games and a rechargeable lithium and a lit screen.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
The good thing about going the GB route is they can GB, GB Color then GBA by which time the more expensive tech for the follow ups would've got much much cheaper and allow the sub $100 route to be a reality. I do hope the mini n64 isn't 1:1 accurate and actually implements up res along with other emulator goodies as some of those games look very rough these days.

D

Deleted User

snesmini-800x450.jpg

Finally.:creep:

Last edited by ,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope is not a even smaller gameboy. I already have problems with 3DS and is small buttons and god has forsaken us C stick. O_O

I mean I guess people like this trending stuff, But I would prefer a cart or disc that is basically a compilation. What happened to compilation games on modern systems like Mega man legacy collection? Just slam a bunch of NES or SNES or Gb games on a 3DS or Switch with Wireless multiplayer download play, hell put it on wii u too. (though no one will buy cause hax)

I got nothing against these classic consoles and stuff, just felt like compilation disc/carts is also a option. Sega has done them a lot in the past, wish they did more.:unsure:

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait to watch people pay $60 to play 6 different versions of Pokemon. As a side note, this thing better be Atomic Purple. I don't care if it's technically a Game Boy Classic and not a GBC Classic. I need my transparent plastic.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait to watch people pay $60 to play 6 different versions of Pokemon. As a side note, this thing better be Atomic Purple. I don't care if it's technically a Game Boy Classic and not a GBC Classic. I need my transparent plastic.
I'd honestly be surprised if there are a bunch of Pokemon games on it, Gamestop still charges $40 a piece for most of them used.

jimmyj

Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tbh I kind of would enjoy it if it's cheap and comes with games then why are we bitching about it?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

this is also the trademark ™ that they are gonna use
gb classic.jpg

[Commercial application 2017-123766] Trademark: [Image] / Applicant: Nintendo Co., Ltd. / Application date: September 15, 2017 / Segment: 9 (Programs for home video game machines, etc.), 14 (key holders and others) 18 (bag fittings etc), 21 (cosmetic tools etc), 25 (clothing others), 28 (home video game ...

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because in a world of instant mass amount of gratification people used to mass piracy this is kind of a middle finger in a way since it's a more expensive limited closed off Nintendo branded toy.

Personally I've wanted this since I knew of the NES. I'd love nothing more to get one that looks like the original DMG style Gameboy with like 30 games on it, yet having a screen like the GBA SP (101) model which is overly sharp and crisp with a solid refresh rate. Limit said device hopefully to GB and GBC stuff, or if need be just GB, and wait a year for a GBC model with another 30~ on that in the original purple molding with the same quality level screen.

AzerothArg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
"GB Boy Colour", except maybe the "decent" :P

The gb boy colour with proper aspect ratio, a better technology on the LCD and proper ir. A man can dream, right?

It seems to me Nintendo is leading a charge, but not through the Switch, weirdly, but through this Classic series of consoles. The fact that there are Atari 2600, Sega Genesis, and of all retro consoles a Commodore 64 variant coming, that just tells me they've started a trend. Switch should've been that trailblazer, and maybe it is, but this is more clearly having its influence.

To the point where I'd just die laughing if there was a Phillips CD-i Classic or Panasonic 3DO one, yeah get those TV makers and general electronics manufacturers into this. Or, continuing with the funniness, Nintendo partners with Panasonic, this GB Classic runs on 4 AA batteries, and you get overpriced Panasonic AAs, with the Nintendo logo on it. Ehh, this one is less appealing to me, already have a 3DS for crying out loud, this is definitely a collector's item as opposed to the NES/SNES Classic being that and more in my view.
AFAIK, who started all this minio classic consoles was the atari flashback, folowedf by the at games' genesis

PixelatedIvan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is probably going to be just the original Gameboy, no Color. Pokemon Red and Blue, maybe Yellow will most likely be included. Unsure about a link cable tho. We are also probably going to get other games like maybe Tetris, but again, that is not by Nintendo so their is no guarantees. Super Mario Land 1 and 2 are also most likely going to be included, also Kirby games, almost for sure. And maybe some other games, Like Metroid 2, Donkey Kong Land, and other titles. And I will be expecting a back-lit display, with 6-10 hours of battery life.

inb4 virtualboy classic

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The gb boy colour with proper aspect ratio, a better technology on the LCD and proper ir. A man can dream, right?

AFAIK, who started all this minio classic consoles was the atari flashback, folowedf by the at games' genesis

I didn't know that, but for sure Nintendo made it mainstream. Since NES Classic, people are jumping into that bandwagon. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony and Microsoft tried this out, especially Sony since PS nostalgia is timely now.

Reactions: AzerothArg

jimmyj

Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is probably going to be just the original Gameboy, no Color. Pokemon Red and Blue, maybe Yellow will most likely be included. Unsure about a link cable tho. We are also probably going to get other games like maybe Tetris, but again, that is not by Nintendo so their is no guarantees. Super Mario Land 1 and 2 are also most likely going to be included, also Kirby games, almost for sure. And maybe some other games, Like Metroid 2, Donkey Kong Land, and other titles. And I will be expecting a back-lit display, with 6-10 hours of battery life.

inb4 virtualboy classic
supposedly it is the colour version and you can regulate the back light, colour, and colour of normal gb games.

Also front page when? I feel like this is not that big of a deal but it obviously is considering they filed the patent. That means it's coming someday

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought Jakks/Namco got out those multi-Pacman and friends tv games units before Atari got their flashback and pre-flashback branded stuff out there (which Jakks handled originally too.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr