Ninokuni: The Another World DS TGS Trailer

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by granville, Sep 25, 2009.

Sep 25, 2009
  1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    This may very well be the most ambitious DS game ever produced. Why do I say this? Let's go over the details-

- Developed by Level 5 (Dragon Quest IX) and Studio Ghibli (animators of Spirited Away and other award winning anime films)
    - Hours of full voice acting and gorgeous hand drawn video animation, and a fully orchestrated soundtrack
    - The first 4gigabit (512 megabyte) DS game, 256MB was the previous largest DS game size
    - Classic Dragon Quest-esque RPG turn based gameplay, fueled by a magical story and gorgeous visuals and sound.
    - Two worlds. One is Oliver's (the playable main character) reality, the other is a fantasy version of reality called Ninokuni

The TGS 2009 trailer-

The story is about Oliver, a 13 year old boy whose mother dies suddenly due to unexplained reasons (as of yet). A toy he was given by his mother comes alive and reveals itself to be a fairy. The fairy tells Oliver that it may be possible to bring his mother back to life, if he can enter a magical alternate reality world called Ninokuni. The fairy gives Oliver a book that lets him enter Ninokuni, where he meets alternate reality versions of friends and people he knew from his world. This book apparently also serves as a gameplay means to give the player hints about the world and a bestiary which may hold tips for beating monsters. It can also be used to draw runes on the touch screen, at least one of which is drawn in order to make the door between reality and Ninokini. A magical and charming premise indeed.

This game is coming to Japan next year sometime (2010). No word of a US release, but I see no reasons it shouldn't. And if it doesn't come, I'll be very ticked off.

2. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Any game that has been directed by Spirited Away is an epic win in my book.

3. Shinintendo

Member Shinintendo GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    WOW such a great play! a must.

4. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    512MB? wow!

5. jgu1994

Member jgu1994 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I love the animation and everything else looks really nice. I have a feeling this won't get released in the US though. A 512mb game will probably have a really expensive price tag on it that most people won't buy. I'm guessing 40$ if it were released in states. It's a shame though.

6. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    simply gr8... they have mastered the 2d environments and graphics fully (lets hope its worth the huge download)

Quote - Only he who has the power to punish can pardon

7. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    THSI IS FUCKING AWESOME. I knew it would be awesome since it was first announced.

Thank you gran for all this updates... i used to take note of its news a lot and even made a thread for it, but too lazy nowadays [​IMG] It will be awesome. But we will have to see if its really that good in gameplay instead of just looking at these awesome beyond awesome animations.

I still think its good. Better have a locallisation, I want to buy it with that awesoem book [​IMG]

8. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    not only did level-5 work on DQ9 but they did all the Professor Layton games as well as the Inazuma Eleven games =P

9. reirun

Newcomer reirun Member

Poland
    Am I wrong or at the end of the trailer there`s an info about "Another Platform"?

10. Domination

Singapore
    I dunno, but Ninokuni is supposed to be released on another platform, a console, but it was unannounced last time I checekd.

11. clegion

Member clegion GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    didn't we need a book for this?

12. Domination

Singapore
    Yes, apparently it will be a spell book and beastiary.

13. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    $40 ?? Thats nothing! It is just 287 Swedish Crowns (SEK)... and Basically all DS games sell for about 399 - 449 SEK here... and 449 SEK is $62... prof layton 1 is that expensive... pokemon diamond, pearl, ranger same price... so $40 being an expensive game?! I wonder what it would be here then :S

14. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Predicted 6279 yen ($64) game and $50 if it's ever localized which I'm doubting heavily.

15. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    The battles look a bit Mother-ish, don't you agree? It's a good thing, though!

16. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Wow the trailer's looking amazing. Is this based on an anime? My girl love the people who made spirited away.

17. Domination

Singapore
    No, but its close enough...

Its made by Level 5 in collabration with Studio Ghibli who made spirited away.

18. cosmiccow

Member cosmiccow Original Hippie

Germany
    OH. MY. GOD. Just look at the animation and that charming, mysterious aura everywhere. That's why I love all the movies from Studio Ghibli. The gameplay-graphics seem top-notch as well.

I need them to make an english version. They can leave the voice-acting in japanese, subtitles are fine. Just, please, do us the favor and put english in this amazing game so we can enjoy it as well.

19. Chanser

Member Chanser :o

Macau
    Good thing the japanese demo came out. [​IMG]

20. janouis

Member janouis GBAtemp Fan

Philippines
    can't find the demo...help pls(jowk)..[​IMG]