ROM Hack Ninokuni: Shikkoku no Madoushi - Translation Project

Schezo92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well Jefelin can translate from Japanese to Spanish so if someone can just translate Spanish to English, since Jefelin isn't great at English the patch would be fine.

Jefelin

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Someone knows someone who knows Japanese?
Sure, but you can not help, I know :/
I've translated more videos, and some menus
wink.gif

xuliko

Trophies
XP
Country
Schezo92 said:
Well Jefelin can translate from Japanese to Spanish so if someone can just translate Spanish to English, since Jefelin isn't great at English the patch would be fine.

I know translate Spanish to English. Don't worry, but I commented before, I need two or more English speakers to correct my mistakes or mannierism.
Okay?

chaosdarkneo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can correct your mistakes, but I may be too busy at times to post every day. I will definitely be able to post every weekend though.

pleonex

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
The book is the least of your problems. There are scans all over the Internet, though they are kinda ghetto. IIRC, you only need to know one or two spells to get past the protection.

Anyways, I've done some probing into the file ever since it came out last December. I'm not very good at assembly, so I don't have much to report, but I hope this will help this get started.
  • The movie captions are stored in plain text (SHIFT_JIS) under data/data/movie. Those should be simple enough.
  • The script files are stored under data/data/map/script. I haven't completely figured out the script file format, but I know about half of it:
    • There's a header. For ho001t.bin (the very first map the game loads after the first movie), it goes from 0 to 8D9. I don't know how to parse this.
    • The rest of the file are blocks. For example, 8DA to 8DD (00 00 00 00) is probably the block ID and 8DE to 8E1 (57 03 00 00) is the block size for the rest of the block (0x357). I don't know what 8E2 to 8E5 (0A 09 19 00) is supposed to be, but all blocks have that string after the size. The next blocks start at C39, 1282, and so on.
    • After the first 12 bytes, the blocks consists of small parts. The parts start with a single-byte ID and then one or two byte values that give the size for the rest of the section.
    • Sections that start with 05 are dialogue parts (they seem to have two-byte sizes). The first line is in A14. There seems to be a further container for the strings that starts with 01 and have a two-byte size value too.
    • To review, if you want to edit the big-endian SHIFT_JIS string that starts at A1A, you need to edit the little-endian sizes at A18, A15, and 8D1 accordingly.
  • memcpy/strcpy is at 0201F250
That's all that I know. I'm afraid to say that I'm busy to participate in this project, but I hope that I've pushed it slightly forward. Good luck!
Thank you very much!

I have made a tool to view all the block and sections as you've said (it will be used to translate the text in the future):

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:329]
Some notes about the sections:
Section with IDs 5 and 0x26 has an additional byte 0x00, the section 5 is at the begging and in the section 0x26 at the end. Also the section 0x26 is divided by sentences with a byte that indicate the size of them.

Reactions: 1 person

Jefelin

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm working on menus and video, I leave another image, tomorrow I will try to upload a video in Spanish.

I have heard that there are rumors that I steal translations, I think I made it clear, I only used this translation for the English sample video of the first video, all I am translating directly from Japanese to Spanish.

ACT.
Opening in Spanish Ninokuni: Black Mage
I would like to post another video but I can not spend time losing the game, my save was erased :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZEaTx2Qm-E

PD: I have translated 11 videos, I only have 2 ;)

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You should change the font though, it don't fit quite well but it's maybe just "my" opinion. ^^
Also Questions... when/why do you need the book if you already play it ? do you need it often or anything ?
I'm anxious about this translation just for that matter so...

xuliko

Trophies
XP
Country
You should change the font though, it don't fit quite well but it's maybe just "my" opinion. ^^
Also Questions... when/why do you need the book if you already play it ? do you need it often or anything ?
I'm anxious about this translation just for that matter so...

I think that the font is the same that "Layton"... I think that he could change it... ^^
The video is a beta version ;)

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Level 5 Vision event was today.
NamcoBandai will publish the PS3 version in the west, i.e. US and europe.
again, no announcement about the DS version.
i think we can safely bury any hope for a western release.

dmaloof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm working on menus and video, I leave another image, tomorrow I will try to upload a video in Spanish.

I have heard that there are rumors that I steal translations, I think I made it clear, I only used this translation for the English sample video of the first video, all I am translating directly from Japanese to Spanish.

ACT.
Opening in Spanish Ninokuni: Black Mage
I would like to post another video but I can not spend time losing the game, my save was erased :(

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=eZEaTx2Qm-E

PD: I have translated 11 videos, I only have 2 ;)

Wow, you rock! Hope for translating this game is born B-)

Reactions: 1 person

tk615

Trophies
XP
Country
Wow. Never knew someone would be this awesome to do a translation. For Both Eng & Span.
I solute you sir! :)

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, even if you only completed the spanish one I'd still understand it. =P
Anyway, I can understand spanish and I could help with the translation to english but other than that, I suck at japanese (I only know a few kanji and thats because I was bored xP)

Well, good luck with the project, Level 5 makes some of the best games. ^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs