Night of the Living Floppy

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by mthrnite, Mar 8, 2007.

Mar 8, 2007

Night of the Living Floppy by mthrnite at 6:38 AM (1,031 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. mthrnite
    OP

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    I've just set my Commodore 64 system back up all nice-like, and I'm having trouble. I've got a CMD 3.5" floppy drive for it, and the one disk I need to make it work (fd-2000 utilities disk) has errors out the wazoo. Looking at the magnetic disk itself, it's fairly mucked up. Little tiny micro ferns growing all over it. I've had some success in the past cleaning Amiga disks back to life using rubbing alcohol and a flannel cloth, but it just ain't working here. Anybody have a magic elixir that they use for such a task, or am I blue'd and tattoo'd on this one?

2. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    Damn stupid molds! They pretty much ruined all of my cassette tapes too. I suggest that you don't insert it into the drive anymore and keep it near to your other disks to prevent "cross-contamination" lol.

3. mthrnite
    OP

United States
    Actually I just tried cleaning the drive head.. and guess what.. SUCCESS!
    Like.. DOH! and all that... it's late, that's my excuse.
    Now I'm stuck with that feeling that I'm happy I got it to work, but sad that I'm such a dumbass and didn't think of it sooner. Oh well.

Anyway... as for the molds/creeping rot or whatever the hell it is that contaminates 'em. If anybody has any better ideas than alcohol, I'm all ears. I've got a ton of floppies that I want to transfer to a more stable medium. I've even considered building a motorized gadget to make the cleaning job easier. So even though this initial problem is solved, if any of you clever Trevors want to share your experience. Sock it to me baby.

4. shadowboy

Member shadowboy :D

United States
    Well, I have zero experience with it, but it seems like a very small dose of acid could melt that junk off.
    But the con would be that if you use to much you'll melt the disk.

That said, a soapy toothbrush might work, or peanut butter, or toothpaste... I dunno what the peanut butter would do, but the toothbrush/ soap/ toothpaste might scub the mold off?

... Or not, that would probably ruin the disk, huh?

>_> I'll ask my uncle tomorrow, he's really good with old computer stuff and may know the dream solution.

Oh, and BTW *Insert Random hentai oriented remark here*

5. mthrnite
    OP

United States
    Well, in earlier experiments, I managed to obliterate the oxide coating with denatured alcohol...
    ..or was it Formula 409... I guess I shoulda took notes.

6. rest0re

Member rest0re GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Finland
    congrats... are you going to build x1541 cable to transfer your disks to pc as .d64 format?

7. mthrnite
    OP

United States
    Well here's the cool thing.. even though I probably will build the cable anyway, just cuz... I don't have to, because I can transfer the files to the CMD drive, which can be formatted to be read in a PC. Pretty sure I can anyway, I lost the manual to that suckah yeeeaaars ago.
    But yeah, I'm gonna .d64 'em. I worked in an Electronics Boutique back in the 64/Amiga days and had a nice discount and lots of disposable income, so I've got a ton of software.
    Played Hard Hat Mac for the first time in, oh, 15 years last night [​IMG] . Hopefully, my Fast Hack'em disk still works so I can transfer over Koronis Rift and Rescue on Fractalis, really anxious to boot those gems up again.[​IMG]

8. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    ...completely OT, but that has to be the scariest topic title I've seen in a while [​IMG]

9. mthrnite
    OP

United States
    FLOPPY GONNA GITCHOO!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOO!

(lol)

10. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    Just out of curiosity is there a reason you want to rip your C64 games to your
    PC. Instead of just downloading them from the many online C64 Rom sites?