Nicalis (Cave Story Wii/3DS port dev) says Kojima is 'terrible&#39

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
imgmetal20gear20solid20peace20walker2.jpg

You can always count on an indie dev to say something outrageous about the bigger boys, and today the peanut gallery has Nicalis producer Tyrone Rodriquez to thank. The Cave Story port developer has accused Hideo Kojima of being a terrible game maker, claiming Metal Gear is good in spite of him, not because of him.
"Konami doesn't make good stuff," he told IndieGames. "He's terrible at making games. Metal Gear is good in spite of him. I haven't enjoyed a game of his since maybe the original Metal Gear Solid, maybe."
His question was in response to Phil Fish's famous attack on Japanese game developers. Rodriquez wasn't quite so harsh, praising Demon's Souls, The World Ends With You, and Final Fantasy XII. However, he said that "anything from Japan is going to suck" in the first-person shooter genre, due to cultural differences.
Indie developers are certainly outspoken, but I'd love to hear more from them outside of, "this sucks." As a fan of Kojima, I'd sincerely like to know what Rodriquez finds so terrible, just how I'd love Fish to explain what sucks about all of Japan's recent games. Indie devs pour scorn on many mainstream things ... but they never say what's wrong with them, only that they're wrong.

:arrow: Source

What the fuck is going on? Why are the Indie devs so pissy all of a sudden?

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
-.-'' SURE Nicalis! Sure! Blame others for something they did not do ;P

I think this article is written in general style like everybody needs to think Kojima is terrible. I like Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania and some other Konami games.

I guess everybody including Kojima should just STFU about how good or bad others are and concentrate on making better games. =3

D

Deleted User

Nicalis didn't do anything for cave story, he got it ported to wii and took all credit.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Great news post, can see you really put effort into it.
EDIT: If it wasn't obvious, I was talking about the blates copy pasta at the bottom
Readers, feel free to help! Do you think Kojima is awful? Tell us why. Of course, you can always tell us why he isn't.

D

Deleted_171835

I'll take him seriously when he makes a game half as good as the MGS titles.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've not even played the MGS series and that statement makes me laugh. Need we remind him who it was that fucked up the WiiWare port of Cave Story? It's funny, because Nicalis doesn't even make games. Afaik, they only publish or port. (Did they actually do work on Cave Story 3D?)

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
While I've never played of Kojima's works due to differences in our taste, I gotta say that people who have never made a game before shouldn't talk like they know how to make them better than those who're obviously more successful.

Truly, if the devs behind the game sucks then what does that say about you who have never made anything more successful than them?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying that I agree with Mr. Rodriguez here (I absolutely don't), but I think people are using a pretty weak argument to dismiss his claims.

I don't know, the whole, "You can't judge X unless you have reached X's level of success/training/etc," just bugs me. You don't have to be a chef to tell when the food is bad, and a film critic is perfectly suited to judge a movie without needing to make one him/herself.

Reactions: 1 person

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in that article, he mentions that japanese FPS games are going to suck...

maybe thats why he couldnt enjoy this series, cuz he got wrong the whole idea of the game...

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying that I agree with Mr. Rodriguez here (I absolutely don't), but I think people are using a pretty weak argument to dismiss his claims.

I don't know, the whole, "You can't judge X unless you have reached X's level of success/training/etc," just bugs me. You don't have to be a chef to tell when the food is bad, and a film critic is perfectly suited to judge a movie without needing to make one him/herself.

While that is true to some extent, we gotta remember that those are merely opinions and not facts. However, my point here being is that since Kojima has proven himself to be successful among his fans and the population in general. Mr. Rodriguez doesn't really have any basis to claim that the guy sucks. Sure he may not like him, but the way he said it made him sound like he's above Kojima's level.

EDIT: To give an example of what I mean, take Apple for example. You can tell them that you hate their services or just don't like their company in general. However, you can't tell them that they suck at making computers, phones, mp3 players or anything else they're known for.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

While that is true to some extent, we gotta remember that those are merely opinions and not facts. However, my point here being is that since Kojima has proven himself to be successful among his fans and the population in general. Mr. Rodriguez doesn't really have any basis to claim that the guy sucks. Sure he may not like him, but the way he said it made him sound like he's above Kojima's level.

Of course has the basis to say that Kojima sucks; that's his opinion. The amount of success and fans under Kojima's belt doesn't change that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Loved the N64 and the PS1 at the time but Castlevania... PS1 hands down 10,000 times better...