Translation Ni no Kuni Translation [ENG]

SuchAMightyBoosh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, it’s may 2020 And I have a bunch of time on my hands, I finished playing the GBC Star Ocean Fan Translation, and though what I would like to play next. Well I have set my eyes on NiNoKuni for the DS.

I have a DSlite I would like to play this on.

So my question is what’s the most available DS Flashcart to play this on that actually works?
I have seen a lot of people posting names of older discontinued flash carts that aren’t available on the market anymore.

the ones I’m finding are:

R4i Gold 3DS Plus

R4iSDHC Gold pro 2020

Anyway thanks to anyone who responds.

Last edited by SuchAMightyBoosh,

TheTrueDream42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4i Gold 3DS Plus is the best one available right now. This is from both people who bought a couple dozen of the map saying so, and from personally owning one myself.

DStwo is technically the best flashcart, but they haven't made those for years and are unavailable everywhere, outside of scams.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I also gathered all user's report of working and non working flashcards with ni no kuni and linked it in the first post.
There are some conflicting report about r4i gold 3DS (RTS) plus (r4ids.cn), but if theTrueDream said it's good, then go for it :)

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I also gathered all user's report of working and non working flashcards with ni no kuni and linked it in the first post.
There are some conflicting report about r4i gold 3DS (RTS) plus (r4ids.cn), but if theTrueDream said it's good, then go for it :)
But it always works on the Ysmenu, regardless of which flashcart you're using, right? So they can get it and use Ysmenu, if it doesn't work on the original kernel.

2902L3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey! I don't know if anybody could help me:( i played the rom with an r4 sdhc dualcore 2017, and it worked perfectly, but it doesn't work if i try with ysmenu for a forwarder for example, what can i do?:(

Pocovid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I played the full game and now i'm in the postgame, but i realized too late that there was a save with all the dlc unlocked.
Could someone unlock the Dlcs on my save file?:( I can't manage to get internet to work on my emulators and i don't want to start the game from the beggining. Thanks in advance:)!

This is my save file:

Attachments

• 5400 - Ninokuni - Shikkoku no Madoushi english.7z
    64.3 KB · Views: 300
Reactions: Plattym3!

grubgrub

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Does anyone know the answer to the 6th dream world question:
"The bridge runs over running water..."
I tried "sky", "heaven", "heavens", "up"
But not sure what else based on the Japanese translation

pleonex

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
I've made quickly a tool to enable the DLC content (sub-quests, recipes and objects) on save files. The save file should be decrypted (some flashcards encrypt it). I have tested it with DeSmuME but make sure to make a backup before running the tool as I didn't run many tests.

Just drag & drop your save file in the following executable and it will "patch" the file with the DLC. It will also create a backup with a random name.
Tool: https://www.mediafire.com/file/8fayhri1lnfmlpl/Dielsi_v1.0.zip/file
Source code: https://github.com/GradienWords/Ninokuni/tree/master/Programs/Dielsi

My recommendation is to enable the DLC content after finishing the game, otherwise it may be way too easy.

**Update**
There were two download contents: DLC things like objects, sub-quest and recipes and then the magic news. This tool does not include the magic news. Each piece of magic news was 3-4 lines of text about fun things of Ninokuni related also to Japan holidays and events. There was a piece of news per day for a full year. Your save file can store up-to 7 news at the same time if I remember correctly (then, it overwrites the oldest). I think they weren't translated to English but we did translate them in Spanish (and we even team up with AltWFC to be able to download a different one each day).

As for the answer to the 6th riddle, I think it's:
PIES

Last edited by pleonex, , Reason: Typos

grubgrub

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I've made quickly a tool to enable the DLC content (sub-quests, recipes and objects) on save files. The save file should be decrypted (some flashcards encrypt it). I have tested it with DeSmuME but make sure to make a backup before running the tool as I didn't run many tests.

Just drag & drop your save file in the following executable and it will "patch" the file with the DLC. It will also create a backup with a random name.
Tool: https://www.mediafire.com/file/8fayhri1lnfmlpl/Dielsi_v1.0.zip/file
Source code: https://github.com/GradienWords/Ninokuni/tree/master/Programs/Dielsi

My recommendation is to enable the DLC content after finishing the game, otherwise it may be way too easy.

**Update**
There were two download contents: DLC things like objects, sub-quest and recipes and then the magic news. This tool does not include the magic news. Each piece of magic news was 3-4 lines of text about fun things of Ninokuni related also to Japan holidays and events. There was a piece of news per day for a full year. Your save file can store up-to 7 news at the same time if I remember correctly (then, it overwrites the oldest). I think they weren't translated to English but we did translate them in Spanish (and we even team up with AltWFC to be able to download a different one each day).

PIES

Awesome, thanks for that

haphamhd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam

**Update**

PIES
I'm from Vietnam and i really want to translate this game. Please share the tools that can help me translate.
Thanks!

pleonex

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
I'm from Vietnam and i really want to translate this game. Please share the tools that can help me translate.
Thanks!

Before you start the translation, I would like to give you a bit of into about the big adventure you want to start. Usually people don't realize what they have ahead. Spoiler: it's not easy to translate this game. It's big. There is a reason why the game wasn't released outside Japan.

Fan-translating this game (actually any game in general) is not opening a text file and writing text in another language. It requires having a team of at least: translators (2-3 people), graphical editors (1-2 people), reviewers (1-2 people), developers with assembly knowledge and "rom-hacking" experience (1-2 people, usually there is only one because it's a hard role to find) and a leader to coordinate all the work. This game especially is hard to translate (which is why it was only release in Japan). I would say that in average it takes 3 years for a team to translate it, given the tools are already written (but need to be adapted for other languages).

This game has about 700 images with text to edit (and some of them really hard to import into the game since you need to edit 3D vertex or because a single image is using different palettes as the game is using "segments' of it in different screens).
The Japanese game scripts have in total about 30k segments (sentences) and 300k words so it's not a short translation. Some parts quite difficult to translate as you need to adapt riddles, poems, stories and text in the Astram language (which is a fixed alphabet you need to adapt too). A stable and good glossary is a key point for this point.

There is also a lot of text in the "overlays" files. These texts must fit in a specific amount of bytes or you'll need to find free space and change pointers. That reminds me the beautiful menus of this game. Well, you will need to write assembly code to move almost every textbox as the menu were implemented to show 1 Japanese kanji, not 6 characters. Oh and the keyboard, ahg, that one took me one month to change it because of all the use-cases and places where it's used.

Then we have the magic book. ~300 pages to translate as it's impossible to complete the game and have a great experience without it. So 300 pages of translating and graphic editing (that one alone could take 6 months of work).

I am probably forgetting about many other funny things you'll find in the way. Unfortunately I didn't document any of that. It was my first fan-translation so there are many things that we could have done better and more generic (e.g. we didn't use any CAT tool, now we are using Weblate for other projects). I learned a lot I must say.

Luckily for you, 99% of the tools we used in the Spanish and English translation are open-source and available here: https://github.com/GradienWords/Ninokuni
Including all my assembly hacks to move textboxes, change the keyboard and even to fix a bug in the game (they forgot to initialize a variable so it crashes randomly if you change an image). Your team will need to learn how to use them and adapt them to your translation.
The only tool that it's not public available is the one to export and import the scripts :D
I usually share it with teams that can show they are advancing well with the translation, and they are taking it seriously.

I don't mind answering some questions about how to translate the game or it's curiosities but I can't really work on a new one anymore. I already burn out translating this game twice (I am sorry for the English team because they were affected to my lack of participation... Maybe some day I'll find energy to fix some technical issues it may still have). But I still enjoy playing it (I am even now researching about its AP code, quite interesting topic. I found for instance the reason why it doesn't work in no$gba).

This is not a very encouraging message but I have seen many teams failing to translate this game and other games (e.g. 6 failed tries to translate Pokémon Conquest because of lack of motivation, and that one is easy).
If you still want to continue, go for it and good luck! It's very rewarding to play the game in your native language :grog:

Equili80

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi, could anyone tell me the word you have to say to fix Gladion with Zazara. My Wizard Companion doesnt have colors in the chapters.

Zkarts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just popping back in after a good year, yikes x)
Much like @pleonex said a couple of posts back, this was a huge undertaking and doubly so for him, of course. I also got burned out on it pretty hard, as was most of the team, I imagine.
I have to make a pretty bad confession: I haven't ever actually fully played through the game after playing the opening hour a good 50 times throughout the project :blush: I do hope to get the motivation back to fully get to enjoy it. I was mostly in charge of coordinating, graphics and some fixes throughout the text files, so I never got the full context to most of it.

My apologies for just up and disappearing after finally seeing this project through to the end after years and years and team after team, but also enormous thanks to all of you (and special shoutout to @Cyan and @pleonex ) who helped support this thread and the patch with fixes, compatibility, DLC unlocks and everything. It felt bad not getting to fix the issues, but I'm glad you all helped out to make it worthwhile :D

And the Password For the Castle Arcano Gate? Last part of the game, im having lots of problem with the astram.
A good 20 days late for this too, but just looking through the files, I believe it should be BELLDANA. Again, I have little context, but I believe that's what they read from the runes on the floor in front of the gate. That was some sort of Japanese that couldn't get a clear translation :mellow:

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I also waited for that game since its release, and understood all the work it required to translate it. I was happy to be the thread coordinator, helper and maintainer.
I started playing when the patch was released, but never completed it (yet!). I hope to go back to it and complete it one day.
I sent all the bugs I found to the (blackhole?) report email address, but eventually lost interest doing so due to no information whether it was useful or not, without knowing whether it was duplicate report, etc. too bad there weren't any database or updated list of known issues. I also would have gladly helped to maintain one.

If any enigma requires answers to be added on the first post due to story blocking bugs or translation ambiguity, let me know and I'll add them :)

Last edited by Cyan,

kosterix

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
ok where to find this GBC Star Ocean Fan Translation?
its not on fishyfish games nor on etsy anymore. Any links please?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just popping back in after a good year, yikes x)That was some sort of Japanese that couldn't get a clear translation :mellow:
It worked for me. Sorry to hear you lost interest, I completed the main game, but have sent about 50 bug reports to the black hole@gmail address but nothing has been done. I would have expected some members of the original team would compile the bugs and, I dunno, even publish a nnk 1.1? It just seems so.. suboptimal.

"**Update**
This tool does not include the magic news. Each piece of magic news was 3-4 lines of text about fun things of Ninokuni related also to Japan holidays and events. There was a piece of news per day for a full year.
I think they weren't translated to English but we did translate them in Spanish (and we even team up with AltWFC to be able to download a different one each day)."

That's sad to hear. Hope an update to nnk will happen some day. Would have loved to see the magic news.

Hey all, it’s may 2020 And I have a bunch of time on my hands, I finished playing the GBC Star Ocean Fan Translation, .
It's August 2020. Where to get this GBC Star Ocean Fan Translation?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Star Ocean :
it seems it was online but removed shortly after.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/star-ocean-blue-sphere-english-translation-patch-release.556455/
the author is selling it??

There's a french translation since 2011, in case someone understand french and wants it.

edit:
a quick google search gave me a reddit link, which contains an English already patched ROM.

edit2:
And the IPS :
https://archive.org/details/staroceanenglish

edit3:
I posted the same information in the other thread, so people looking for EN patch in the future will find the file easily. (in the other thread, everyone asked if he could post it, and everyone answered yes... but nobody did!)

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉