Translation Ni no Kuni Translation [ENG]

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think many people have specific accent, and using words you might not use in every day's life.
That's why that game is difficult to translate, even for the official PS3 version they decided to use Welsh to transcript the funny speaking accent of Drippy. I'm not even sure I'd understand Welsh, so even in english it's maybe hard to understand for some people :P

Reactions: Anjiera

Lord Prime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No news with the translation is good news! It means Anjiera and team are hard at work.

It's now just shy of 3 weeks until Ni no Kuni 2. I'm so excited!

Reactions: Anjiera

ninokuninds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No news with the translation is good news! It means Anjiera and team are hard at work.

It's now just shy of 3 weeks until Ni no Kuni 2. I'm so excited!

I hope you're right, because I'm totally obsessed with this game and I can't wait to play it. :yaynds:

I check this thread almost every day.

AlexDeNight

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hey, I'm very excited for this English ROM! :D I never heard of No Ni Juni until I saw a pre-order for no ni kuni 2 on amazon. And I LOVE Ghibli Films and Level-5 Games, so I was shocked!
Only for that I bought a PS4 :DD

If the translation is done, is there any plan of a Price for this ROM, or will it be for free?

juniorcba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey, I'm very excited for this English ROM! :D I never heard of No Ni Juni until I saw a pre-order for no ni kuni 2 on amazon. And I LOVE Ghibli Films and Level-5 Games, so I was shocked!
Only for that I bought a PS4 :DD

If the translation is done, is there any plan of a Price for this ROM, or will it be for free?
If one thing is for sure is that will cost nothing. Never heard of a paid fan translation. Legally they can't sell this, maybe this couldn't even get translated, but if you not try to make money the right holders most of the time don't do nothing.

Enviado de meu XT1543 usando Tapatalk

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Like he said, fan translation is and will always be free. It's not legal to sell something you don't own the (copy)rights for.
You will not find the "translated game" here, for the same reason : it's not legal to share a (translated) game.

What you'll find is only the patch (the translated text alone) that you will have to insert into your original japanese game's ROM.
To do that, the translation will be either provided :
1. in a special format (.xdelta) and you'll need to use a program (xdelta) to merge with the ROM,
or
2. as an executable program (like the spanish translation team did) to merge with the ROM.

In both cases, you'll need the clean japanese ROM of the game.

Last edited by Cyan,

takechiyo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Like he said, fan translation is and will always be free. It's not legal to sell something you don't own the (copy)rights for.
You will not find the "translated game" here, for the same reason : it's not legal to share a (translated) game.

What you'll find is only the patch (the translated text alone) that you will have to insert into your original japanese game's ROM.
To do that, the translation will be either provided :
1. in a special format (.xdelta) and you'll need to use a program (xdelta) to merge with the ROM,
or
2. as an executable program (like the spanish translation team did) to merge with the ROM.

In both cases, you'll need the clean japanese ROM of the game.

so does the patch already published?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no, not yet.
the translation is completed, but Anjiera and the team are currently formatting the text to look good on screen after being inserted into the game.
for example, being sure the text is fully displayed and doesn't appear "off screen".

So they have to test the game entirely with their translation to be sure it's playable and readable.

you can read my message here for a more visual example : https://gbatemp.net/threads/ni-no-kuni-translation-eng.373770/page-31#post-7618687
and Anjiera posted few screenshot as examples : https://gbatemp.net/threads/ni-no-kuni-translation-eng.373770/page-31#post-7620961

From the first 2 pictures : text overflowing from the "background frame" is acceptable (and I think will stay like that in the released patch). it's ugly and not professional, but it's a compromise in fantrad' project between "good looking" and "fast release". Maybe a fixed version will be released later (a v2.0 with all bug reported by playing on v1.0 fixed, and everything looking professional for example).
From the 3rd and 4th pictures : text being "outside of the console's screen" is not acceptable. they are forcing new lines manually on all text not fitting the console's screen. This is what takes a lot of time now.

@Anjiera, is it possible to quantify how much blocs are done and how much remains?
Last edit progress on first post was 13% in October 2017.

Last edited by Cyan,

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, could anyone give me a lowdown on how difficult the japanese in this game is? like how would i fair with JLPT N4 and 400 kanji?

I first played this game after living in rural Japan for a couple of years and passing the previous JLPT3 (not on the N# scale, like it is now). My grammar was pretty good, and I spent lots of time looking things up in the dictonary. I even kept a pocket notebook of new vocabulary as I played so that I could review all the new words - and there were a lot! Even if you are fairly conversationally fluent with daily Japanese, there are words you will see in a fantasy setting that wouldn't come up in real life very often. Things like "cape", "bracers", "mallet", "great axe" or whatever else for weapons and items, as well as some of the more nuanced descriptions of things.

I would highly suggest that you play the DS Legend of Zelda games (Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks) first, as they have this awesome feature where any kanji you see you can click on to see the furigana. If you can play through those games and mostly understand what is going on, you'll be able to tackle Ni No Kuni.

Note that I *still* look up fancy words in the dictionary when translating things, so while you don't need to be perfect you need to be able to read and understand fast enough that you don't get impatient with the game.

I can't tell you how long I even played NNK for, since the in-game time maxxes out at 99h:99m in the official game. I think it was probably around 120 hours, since I was always looking up words in the dictionary, or solving puzzles with the real ~400-page Magic Master book beside me with the game running. Luckily, the Spanish translation team rom hackers figured out that the game actually tracks your full game play time, but that it wasn't displaying the 3rd digit for the hours. They also figured out how to fix that, so you'll be able to play up to 999 hours of NNK DS before your timer gets permanently stuck. :)

I hope you're right, because I'm totally obsessed with this game and I can't wait to play it. :yaynds:

I check this thread almost every day.

Wow, then you check this more than I do. Ha ha! Sorry for the lack of posts, February feels like it just evaporated with being sick, work, and some family visits. While I was away, the zkarts managed to figure out a few of the big issues with the build, so we're farther ahead on some things, and about the same on others. I'm not sure how else to describe our progress, please see previous posts where I lament the ability to report on % done because we're just iterating through bugs now.

So they have to test the game entirely with their translation to be sure it's playable and readable.
Yes, and even still I'm sure there will be some NPC conversations some where that we didn't get quite right, or a side quest that got missed. But, in general it will be playable and understandable and assuming we don't get C&Ds we can release updates to fix bugs that people find in the wild.

@Anjiera, is it possible to quantify how much blocs are done and how much remains?
Last edit progress on first post was 13% in October 2017.
Unfortunately some of the editors weren't marking off files as done as they edited them, so I can say that we're farther along that 13%, and we're not at 100%. Not a very specific range, I know. I'm trying to nail down a better number for our own purposes, so when I have it I'll let you know.

(P.S. Thanks to @Cyan for holding down the fort while I was in the time warp!)

Marco_Paggot

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I've been following this project for more than a year, I just signed in just to say thanks for the hard work! It doesn't matter how much time is left for the release... It sure feels that each day is closer to it and that's fine for me.
I don't have a PS3, so this is the only way for me to play Ni no Kuni! I'll try to play it in a DS emulator for Android, bc my DS has been sitting, accumulating dust for too long, and I don't have the heart to confront it after such a cruel neglect on my side.

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll try to play it in a DS emulator for Android, bc my DS has been sitting, accumulating dust for too long, and I don't have the heart to confront it after such a cruel neglect on my side.

We aren't releasing a way to patch the original cartridge, so you'll be playing with a patched ROM file either way. I've personally tested with Drastic on Android and it runs beautifully - you also get the benefit of being able to use the touch screen to draw the spells, just like the DS was able to do. I use desmume when I'm testing on Windows and I have an R4 card for testing on actual DS HW, and all seem to work fine. We did have a couple of issues with certain ROM files at one point, but we'll make sure to provide a list of exactly what you need to do to be able to get things up and running.

As with all code, the stats work out such that more people will do more things with what you make within the first week of the code being live than it is ever feasible to test with humans during a development cycle, so I'm sure there will be issues that will come up for people no matter how diligent we are. But, we're making excellent progress on the bugs we know about. The trickiest thing at this point is probably deciding how much of the UI we need to mess with on the rom hacks side (shifting text a bit, moving icons back a few pixels) and then the dreaded dream world riddles, which are tricky to test because you can't actually control when you go to the dream world, it just seems to be random at times when you sleep at the Inn. Otherwise, I think we've killed all the main text bugs.

@Cyan had asked about editing % and we're sitting at 26% now that I've been going through and updating files to show the right data. Some editors would just put their name at the top of the doc that they edited, but our % done spreadsheets look for an editor's name on each row of text, so it is more than 26% edited, for certain. Plus, the editing seemed less necessary and less aggressive near the end of the game because we had learned what to watch out for then and it was a more stable team of translators. Anyway, that's where we're at for now. Should be a decently productive weekend - I've written the whole thing off as NNK and told my friends and family that they'll see me next week. Ha. They will be so relieved when this is all done, whenever that ends up being.

ninokuninds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I can not find the right words to thank you for the dedication and time you are spending on this project. You seem expert in programming, so I think the final result will be excellent.

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You seem expert in programming, so I think the final result will be excellent.

I might be an expert in programming in real life, but I'm actually "just" doing translation, editing, playtesting, text bug fixing (typos, string wrapping issues), and project management for this project. Not really any dev work in there. The most "code" I've written has been for some of our complicated project planning spreadsheets, and for whatever reason I never really consider writing spreadsheet macros "real code". I haven't looked into any of the actual bit twiddling on the ROM hacking side of this.

We're using the excellent set of tools that the Spanish translation team put together, mostly thanks to @pleonex. The thread OP @Zkarts manages and tweaks the builds using those tools, and has done a ton of graphics work alongside writing and updating tools as we made progress. For the complicated bit twiddling of the ROM for shifting images and text boxes around, we actually still mostly rely on the hacker from the Spanish team (@pleonex again).

There were enough awesome programmers on the team when I joined that I was able to focus on translation and the experience side of things, which is a different sort of fun (and a different sort of headache!) than doing a deep dive in a hex editor. :)

Last edited by Anjiera,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."