Ni no Kuni Translation [ENG]

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Zkarts, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Hephaestus

Hephaestus GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2017
    Korea, North
    Looks lovely on a DSi XL!

Last edited by Hephaestus, Dec 10, 2018
    Anjiera likes this.
  2. xs4all

xs4all GBAtemp Regular

Jun 9, 2008
    Australia
    FYI:
    For those that are wondering if this can be injected as a DS VC on the WiiU?
    Game boots to black screen and system freezes when trying to inject as a WiiU DS VC, tried several DS bases all the same result. I'm not fully up to date with this game, is there some sort of AP patch that needs to be applied?
    Not sure if on the WiiU side of things this Eng patch needs further patching? Also this ROM is large, again not sure if the WiiU DS supports roms this large.

Anjiera likes this.
  3. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Addict

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    is this the same game

"Ni no Kuni: Shikkoku no Madoushi"

Anjiera likes this.
  4. Soulsilve2010

Soulsilve2010 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 3, 2016
    United States
    United States,Indiana
    Yes it is

Anjiera likes this.
  5. comput3rus3r

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    awesome thanks. can't wait to try the patch.

6. E1ite007

E1ite007 Acid Techno DJ and Producer

Nov 19, 2016
    Mexico
    It's so weird that 2 or 3 years ago it got translated to spanish, and this final english patch was released only one day ago, when always is the other way around with translations.
    Anyway, very good job. Although my native language is spanish, I tested this to check it... and it's pretty good actually, and it's incredible that the guide/lore book is also translated, because it's pretty necessary to learn how to play and even master the game.
    Congratulations!

Anjiera and comput3rus3r like this.
  7. mooglazer

mooglazer GBAtemp Regular

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    First off:
    THANK YOU! Amazing work.
    I've been wanting to play this on DS (in EN) for as long as I've known about this game.

I can confirm this works properly on a Supercard DSTWO (not plus) that had the sleep problem. I have a few other cards, including an AK2i, so please let me know if you need this tested.

EDIT: Made it to the Catnap Kingdom after beating the first boss. No issues so far with the main patch + replacing arm7.bin from the original file. SC DSTwo works properly.

Last edited by mooglazer, Dec 10, 2018
    Anjiera likes this.
  8. comput3rus3r

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    bitter sweet for me. I thought I was getting closer to finishing my backlog on my dsiXL, and now I'm still adding to it...lol

Anjiera and Plattym3! like this.
  9. dazindude

dazindude Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2011
    United States
    The depths of Naraka
    Has anyone gotten this to work on a R4i plus?
    Mine boots to a white screen

Anjiera likes this.
  10. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    what a wonderful news. is this game fun to play? I played the ps3 ni no kuni for 10 hours and I dropped when I reached the mountain arc, the story suddenly slowed down and I lost my motivation to play. i cannot rate the ps3 game too highly, the battle is so awkward. it would have been fantastic had they released it as a turn based jrpg, instead they are trying to mash everything. it feels like a bad combination of dragon quest and tales series

Anjiera likes this.
  11. prectorian

prectorian Chef Kirby

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2010
    Vanuatu
    Can you share with me your Drastic settings detail? I tried tinkering on mine, so far still force closing when game in launched.

Anjiera likes this.
  12. Fgamer

Fgamer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2012
    I've been following this since the very beginning and it's a bit surreal to finally see the release! I just wanted to say thank you to everyone involved, you have clearly put so much work into this project. Looking forward to playing!

Last edited by Fgamer, Dec 10, 2018
    Zkarts and Anjiera like this.
  13. GbaNober

GbaNober Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2016
    i'll never expect that a godly translation will deliver to us by ZKarts & Anjiera
    thank you thank you thank you :yaynds:

14. GbaNober
    This message by GbaNober has been removed from public view by Flame, Dec 10, 2018, Reason: Double post..
    Dec 10, 2018
  15. takechiyo

takechiyo Member

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2018
    Indonesia
    Thank you @Anjiera and Team for your all efforts to translate this game

16. sonicrings

sonicrings GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    Many a temper must have graduated since the creation of this thread. I'm sure this will bring back many fond memories to everyone playing this. Good work on completing it!

Just wondering, what happens when you close your DS? Does it just crash? Or power down?

Anjiera likes this.
  17. dmc310

dmc310 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    United States
    Awesome Job

Anjiera likes this.
  18. Anjiera

Anjiera 漫画 && ROM XL8R

May 23, 2015
    Canada
    rockerzz182, pleonex, Zkarts and 10 others like this.
  19. Svinorin

Svinorin Member

Newcomer
    Oct 20, 2017
    United States
    You guy's earned it, I can only imagine all the hours that went into it, and all the revisions to get everything working correctly. And on top of that, your team even did the book too, which is another huge undertaking. I used Hephaestus' fix for the sleeping issue and it works perfectly now for me, so it's a job very well done, and like an early Christmas present as well! Thanks to everyone who worked on it making this possible!

Zkarts, tyrantnyx, GbaNober and 2 others like this.
  20. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    Hot diggity dog!

Anjiera likes this.
  21. Anjiera

Anjiera 漫画 && ROM XL8R

May 23, 2015
    Canada
    The Kotaku article references something written up at a place called resetera. Anyone have an account there? I'm Writing up an FAQ about the patch, including what you need from the PDF, and how the game and the book differ from the PS3, but I don't have permission to post there with an update on all of that so far.

The biggest thing is that they seem to think we just stole the book wholesale from the PS3 and are taking credit for translating it, whereas we added 20 pages to the Japanese book, translated ~100 pages of content that was specifically DS content (unique Imagen, the entire maps chapter, the travelling eggs page, the revised Astram characters that work with the DS-only dream world, all of the astram-based text in the book, the many riddles that use the chapter title pages, and other unique pages that we needed to revise to work with our Astram -> English mapping, etc....) and I'm feeling a bit protective of the team and all the work that they put in, so I'd like to be able to correct the misconceptions as soon as possible...

Anyway... Yes, we borrowed as much as we could from the PS3 digital book, but no it isn't identical, and making sure the astram text worked with all of the puzzles was a weekend exercise in crazy word free association... Haha... (>_<)

I'll type up a full list for the FAQ, as well as all the riddle answers for people that don't want to figure things out, but it will take some time. There are lots of riddles.

Last edited by Anjiera, Dec 10, 2018
  22. prectorian

prectorian Chef Kirby

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2010
    Vanuatu
    You should probably just post in that article or send a private letter to that writer's contact in that kotaku site with clarification so that he rephrase his wordings or even revise it entirely.

mooglazer likes this.