Ni no Kuni The Another World PS3 version announced

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by granville, Jun 23, 2010.

1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    You may recall a little fantasy game developed for the DS in conjugation between Level 5 (Dragon Quest IX) and Studio Ghibli (animation studio behind Spirited Away and other Miyazaki films). It's called Ni no Kuni The Another World (no relation to the old 2D adventure game with aliens). The game is a gorgeous DS turn based RPG with a magical story and colorful characters. The graphics for the DS are amazing, using high quality 2D hand drawn backgrounds with 3D cel shaded characters that are superbly animated. There's even a fully orchestrated musical score and most of the game is voiced. There is also a lot of animated anime FMV from Studio Ghibli themselves. All possible due to the largest DS cart currently available, a 512MB one.

Well now there's a new announcement that this game is receiving a Playstation 3 version. It is said to be identical in story to the DS version and possibly in gameplay as well. The graphics are intended to be fully cel shaded. There aren't any current videos or screens, but there are apparently some coming within the next week or two (so i'll update this post when there are). At any rate, this answers a question of a line in the first Ni no Kuni DS trailer. At the end of it, it says "Another platform". We had speculated what that meant, and people figured it meant it would be coming to another system. This explains that line.

UPDATE- Trailer of the PS3 version-

EDIT- The PS3 version has been confirmed for 2011. The DS version will be coming December 2010.

Ni no Kuni DS version trailers-

Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Weird exclusives combination... And I don't expect Ni no Kuni to look good on the PS3 anyways. Of course, the PS3 has better graphics, but this kind of conversions doesn't always work too well. Eg: Riviera - The Promised Land looked great on the GBA, but the PSP port/remake just looked mediocre for the PSP...

3. granville
    OP

United States
    Well to be honest, they're not making the PS3 games out of sprites, but HD cel shaded 3D characters. I don't know how it will look either, but i don't think you can cite sprite based games as a comparison.

4. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Yeah, you could be right about that... Well, only time will tell!

5. cosmiccow

Member cosmiccow Original Hippie

Germany
    Wow, this is good news. My most anticipated DS game..

The gorgeous video sequences will probably come across even better on a big screen. Granted they do them in a high resolution - which I'm sure they do.

As I don't have a PS3 yet, I don't care much about the rest... only this - I want an english subtitled (or voiced if it can't be avoided) DS release of Ni no Kuni. I hope they also bring that nice packaging they showed sometime, with the book and everything.

6. Paarish

Member Paarish Connor's Nublet

United Kingdom
    Awesome [​IMG] My friend is gonna be soo jealous I will probably buy the PS3 version then the DS version

7. granville
    OP

United States
    I've added the trailer found for the PS3 version. I suggest you watch it as it's absolutely gorgeous. [​IMG]

I'll stick with the DS version as i don't have access to the PS3, but it's incredibly gorgeous.

8. cosmiccow

Member cosmiccow Original Hippie

Germany
    Oh my god. The PS3 trailer... I came.

I love Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki since I saw Spirited Away. Then I was looking for more and watched Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, NausicaƤ, etc.

Level5 is the shit since Professor Layton. The series oozes such a beautiful richness in style and quality, visually, aurally and in game play.

Now they manage to bring all of their qualities together in Ni no Kuni - which I'm almost certain will be one of the richest DS games.

And then look at the PS3 trailer... the in game models and environments look 99% like they do in the video sequences. The DS version already has gorgeous prerendered static backgrounds and environments, but it looks like everything will be real-time on PS3.

This is one of the three games I'd consider buying a PS3 for. I had two others where I said I need a PS3 just for that game, but I forgot which. :]

I will buy the DS version no matter what, even if it never comes out in english and I can never understand a single word.

Let's hope for localisation.