Ni no Kuni animated movie gets its first trailer

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Apr 11, 2019.

Front-page

Warner Bros. Japan has released the very first trailer for the upcoming Ni no Kuni film, offering fans a look of what the animation will be like. As mentioned during the announcement of the movie, Studio OLM of Yo-Kai Watch and Inazuma Eleven fame is the team behind the art and animation, and while Studio Ghibli has no involvement with the project, Yoshiyuki Momose, an ex-Studio Ghibli animator, will be directing. Instead of being a direct adaptation of either the first or second games in the series, this will tell a brand new story, penned by franchise writer Akihiro Hino. There are no official English subtitles yet, nor any inclination of if the film will release outside of Japan, but for those in the east, they'll be able to check it out in theaters later this summer.

Discussion (10 replies)
  1. smileyhead

smileyhead Yes.

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    Ghibli isn't animating it? Too bad

GunzOfNavarone and LunaWofl like this.
  2. Manurocker95

Manurocker95 Game Developer & Pokémon Master

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    It looks awesome!

Leafgreen26 and CallmeBerto like this.
  3. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    I must say that the team of Yo kai watch and inazuma eleven def have the style down of studio ghibli. It's 100 percent spot on

Leafgreen26 and Pablitox like this.
  4. KEHT

KEHT Member

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2010
    We need to resurrect Brave Story franchise.

nekojosh likes this.
  5. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    I might actually check it out.

AtsuNii likes this.
  6. GunzOfNavarone

GunzOfNavarone GBAtemp Fan

Aug 16, 2016
    If Ghibli had been animating it, I'd have probably watched but as nice as the trailer is, it looks like a dozen other anime movies. I see nothing special about it.

7. DeoNaught

DeoNaught I'm here to steal memes and break dreams

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Constant Fear
    I seem some resemblance to Studio Ghibli, but it really does just look like "anime" and I wouldn't watch just because an ex director of ghibli is directing it.

But, it does look interesting, and might see it. I see more resemblance to pokemon and yokai watch then anything else tbh. the only resemblance to Ghibli I saw was the backgrounds in some of the spots.

8. PoppaDre

PoppaDre GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2016
    Canada
    lol the wheelchair charge

9. Delerious

Delerious GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2018
    United States
    California
    The music still sounds very Joe Hisaishi though. I wonder if he's doing the music for it.

10. Robfozz

Robfozz GBAtemp Smartass

Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Onett
    Ironic that games made famous from their studio ghibli animated cutscenes is getting a movie and its not animated by ghibli lol.

I know it would be way too damn expensive for just a game tie in but still, kinda seems like that would be the whole point.