NGC Game as a Wii Game.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by retrogamermatt, Jan 18, 2011.

Jan 18, 2011
  1. retrogamermatt
    OP

Member retrogamermatt GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Ok so since MIOS DIOS died, I've been thinking about NGC USB loading and before you all reply saying that it will never happen, I just want to run something by you all. Okay well I just dumped the Twilight Princess Discs, Wii & NGC, now what would happen if i swapped almost all of the data from the NGC ISO and put into the Wii ISO? As both of the ISO's have almost identical file structure, I was wondering if the game would run or just crash and burn. I doesn't bother me if it does crash and burn as i have the NGC Disc so i can play both when ever I want. So before I do this lengthy process of swapping all the files, what are you views or opinions with this theory?

2. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    It'll probably just crash.

3. Tonitonichopchop

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Gamecube and wii games are completely different. Inserting the contents of a gamecube iso into a wii iso would do nothing as they run in totally different ways.

4. KirovAir

Member KirovAir Dutch Alcoholic Programmer

Netherlands
    Not even remotely possible. I'll spare you my rant going into technical details. It's just not possible.

5. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Not the worst idea I've heard, but I don't think it'll work either. From what I've gathered from the DIOS MIOS thing is that gamecube games interact with the hardware in a completely different fashion than wii games. And I guess that's just one of the several dozens (or hundreds, if not thousands) of differences with a wii game.

6. retrogamermatt
    OP

Australia
    And yes you are all right I just swapped a couple of files, mainly the ones that swap the layout so Link is back to his Left-handed state and the HUD. And yep it crashed. Well I was just a wild idea after all, one of many wild ideas i get at work but hey worth i shot and it died in the ass pretty hard. Well thanks everyone for the feedback. Also another idea, the people that made and programmed the Wii they would have the power to enable USB support for the Wii wouldn't they or no?

7. Donkey Plonk

Member Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Of course it crashed.
    For a start, the wii runs at double the clock speed of the gamecube.
    Its as good as doing it with a ps2 game.

And no, even nintendo can not enable usb in gamecube mode.

8. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I think this question didn't came out the way you wanted it to. Nintendo made and programmed the wii. And the fact that they put in a couple USB ports and slapped some IOS'es with USB support in and on them kinda shows that they do enable USB support for the wii.

...we're just not making use of that service in the way they intended, that's all. [​IMG]

9. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    It would be more funny try it with a New Play Control game. Even that, it will fail.

10. duffmmann

Member duffmmann GBAtemp Addict

United States
    You know, I don't think he's completely off track here though. This is all theoretical right here, cuz I'm not technologically minded, so I could be way off. But what if you were able to do some sort of simple gcn iso file edit so that the wii believes the gamecube game is a wii game? Is that even theoretically possible?

11. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    But that's just it, you can't just do a simple gcn iso file edit...

Simply put the Wii and the NGC are accessed by their respective games differently. Wii games access hardware resources through what can be considered a layer of abstraction/security; the role of this layer being facilitated by IOS which runs on the ARM processor (the game runs on the PPC). The NGC, like older Nintendo consoles, provided a more raw form of hardware access where each of the NGC games had to contain all the code to access the hardware directly. The NGC only contained an IPL (initial program loader) which basically looked to see if a game was inserted and boots it. When the Wii plays a NGC game, it turns off all things that make it a Wii, locking them up and allows the game to run on the PPC as if it were a NGC.

The simple gcn iso file edit would end up not being simple, and involve an overhaul of the game code. As each game may have different code to access the NGC hardware, this would not be as simple as an universal patch. You have to consider that NGC games don't know what USB is, nor what any other Wii specific hardware are, and that the Wii is not all that much more powerful than the NGC to do a full out abstracted hardware emulation of the NGC.

For more information on how the Wii works, and specifically its NGC mode, I recommend spending some time reading over the many hardware/software pages at WiiBrew and searching over similar past threads here on the GBATemp forums.

-[]D

12. mvgc3

Member mvgc3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    No, it's not. As others have pointed out, Gamecube games access hardware directly. Wii games access hardware through IOSs.

Wii USB loading was as "easy" as changing an IOS to redirect reads from a the DVD drive to the USB.

Gamecube has no native USB access, nevermind a "centralized" way to access hardware. It's my understanding that in the off chance someone did find a way to load GC games through USB, it would have to be on nearly a game by game basis.

I don't know if that's 100% accurate, but I think it's close enough to get the point across. If someone more knowledgeable can say otherwise, please correct me [​IMG]

13. SanGor

Member SanGor Witchhunter

United States
    why do those threads pop up again and again?
    crediar tried it and proved that it just isn't possible to have a fully working GC USB Loader.

just let it be ...

14. retrogamermatt
    OP

Australia
    As I said once again it was just a theory that's all. Once emu_kidd releases his new sd boot hopefully there will be some big improvements. It doesn't bother too much as most of the worthwhile NGC games I own. This thread can now be closed.

15. sweenish

Member sweenish GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i enjoy the dyslexia.

16. PPSainity

Canada
    LOL, I debated on whether or not to correct duffmmann, when quoting him in bold...but I chose to keep it verbatim....meh

-[]D

17. duffmmann

Member duffmmann GBAtemp Addict

United States
    how is what i said dyslexia? A simple gcn iso file edit is exactly what I meant. Maybe I should have written it like this? A simple gcn.iso file edit. I suppose I could have dropped the "file" in the phrase since the gcn.iso is the file, but I thought what I was saying was clear. Anyway, thanks for the answer, like I said I don't know much about how the technology works. I guess another idea would be could a gamecube emulator be created on the wii? After all, all the inner working of a gamecube exist in the wii, could a way to make it emulate the gamecube (as opposed to going into gamecube mode or whatever) be possible? Or is that essentially what was trying to be done in the NAND emulation that Crediar attempted?

18. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Considering how well GameCube emulators work in general (e.g. Dolphin), it's not even worth the hassle of getting an emulator on the Wii. The Wii runs GameCube games natively using GameCube Mode, thus, an emulator will not be possible, nor will it be worth it in the long run.

Editting GameCube ISOs will not work, since despite the games appearing to be pretty much the same, the consoles still operate differently.

19. PPSainity

Canada
    I prefer NGC as the abbreviation, elongating it as Nintendo Game Cube.

-[]D