Next Tales of.. Wii trailer

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by CockroachMan, Dec 14, 2008.

Dec 14, 2008
  1. CockroachMan
    OP

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Leaked today, the first trailer of the new "Tales of" Mothership title for the Wii, announced at Nintendo's October Conference.

2. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Not bad, not bad at all...They all look the same though. Just different characters...

PS: Tales of "stop milking this fucking franchise" more like it.

3. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    Jump's going to be pleased, but personally, I think enough is enough for now. We all say Square milks the Final Fantasy brand, and they do. But they only release a couple a year. With Namco and tales this is like the 6th game within a 12 month period. It's getting out of hand.

EDIT: I actually just counted, and if you count the ones from 07 and the ones coming in early 2009, it adds up to about 9 games. And that's being kind and skipping over all of the ones in 2006, 2005, etc.

4. Batman55

Member Batman55 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Tales series is the absolute best RPG series ever.

Or should I say seriese? LOL.

5. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    The Tales series went downhill after Symphonia, not even its sequel could keep me interested. No bad games just ones that are just above average.

I do hope for the best but to be honest I just wish that they'd give the series a break for a while.

6. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    Well for me, I don't care how much I love a series, be it Zelda, Kingdom Hearts, or whatever... I don't want 9+ games in a 24 month period. Maybe one or two ever 3 - 4 years, that's good, but when you're getting to the point where there's a new one every month (clearly exaggerating), that's just too much.

7. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Wow, the game looks nice..

8. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    They should take more time for each individual game and only release one or two a year. Quality > quantity.

9. Youkai

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    Well i love the Tales of Games and i allways buy the games not because i want new gameplay ... why fix something that is not broken ?

i wouldn't mind seeing even more games like this !

i like the storys of most of the games and thats the most important thing about a good RPG

Same like with Grandia, i would love to get Grandia 3 for Wii, could never play it because i have no playstation, but i played part 2 and it was truly amazing i still now many parts out of the story even thaught i played it years back.

Better 10 more Tales of Games than any more shooter or bad made party game.

10. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    I absolutely love the music in this trailer and somehow I like the fact, that the main character is fighting on his own and is wandering through this really nice environment (especially the one with the water and cliff) all by himself. I think they could really get an interesting story with such a concept.

Isn`t the "Tales of"-series just games with a similar fighting system? Or is it always developed by the same team or are there multiple team at Namco, which work on these projects. Because I think if there are many different team, then they might have some unique ideas they could include in each games... hopefully this one will get interesting and not just the regular "Tales of"...

11. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I don't think the Tales series is oversaturated in games. I mean...are you counting the Japanese-only titles that no one can understand? Fanslations don't count~!

I actually own two Tales games (both Symphonias) and I've played just barely twice more of those (a small bit of Destiny and Eternia). The DS has three whole Tales games, and we just may see one actually put into English. The PSP has a number of ports too...

I don't see the problem. I personally love the battle system most of all, compared to the contemporary "STAND AND FIGHT HURR" systems I've seen in other series. And then some go completely out of left-field with DBZ or DMC-alikes, and...yeah. I dunno, I like Tales. It's simple, you get to run around, and all that good fuzzy junk.

12. CockroachMan
    OP

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Agreed.. that's what is killing Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk, Need for Speed.. and a bunch of other games that I loved in the past.. and I now I just found them "meh" [​IMG]

13. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    I just don't like how they added in the 3D battles.

Symphonia for the SNES was my favorite SNES game ever. (Well, aside from star ocean)

The way how NAMCO is using the 2D battle system for tales of hearts is the only reason why I'm waiting for it.
    But like tempest/innocence and the other 3D games like radiant mythology, I don't think it's just working. :|
    just my opinion.

However, the story of the tales games are the best part of the series.

14. Zarcon

Former Staff Zarcon .:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.

Canada
    Surely you mean Phantasia.
    And if you haven't played the PSX/PSP version you're really missing out. The skits alone give great insight into the characters and the world...and are often hilarious.
    You should also take a look at Destiny, Eternia (Destiny 2 in the US), and Destiny 2 (The actual sequel to Destiny) for 2D combat Tales.
    Ideally you play the remakes, but they were never localized. Shame because the 2D combat system is quite polished in them.

Also, I want to straighten a few things out.
    There have only been 10 legitimate Tales games.
    Tales of Hearts for the DS is the 11th which comes out in a few days.
    This new Wii one is the 12th.
    So only 2 real Tales games have been released from 2007~2008, Tales of Innocence (DS) and Tales of Vesperia (360).
    Tales of Hearts (DS) would be the 3rd within this time frame.
    Tales of Symphonia - Dawn of the New World is a side game. It has been since the first screenshots were shown and it plays as such.
    If we look at console only ones then it'd be Tales of the Abyss (PS2 - 2005) and Vesperia (2008) which is a good 3 years.

Secondly, pretty much all of them are done by different teams which is why they seem to come out so quickly. Quality isn't lost, just quantity gained.
    If you don't like a particular Tales game it's because it was done by a different team most of the time.

Thirdly, it's not like they're all on one system. People complain about ports and now people complain about them making new games for different consoles?

Forthly, a VAST majority of the Tales games are remakes, side games, or fan games. (As in made for fans)
    And the remakes aren't lazy and usually bring in improvements from the newer games. (The Tales of Destiny remake for the PS2 is basically the pinnacle of the 2D combat system.)

So although the complaint of milking the franchise still stands somewhat, it's really not that bad. It's not like they're not focusing on the main games.
    The fan games are normally pretty fun and give a lot of insight on the characters and worlds. It's also a joy seeing the characters from different Tales games interact. Kind of the same way the Super Robot Wars games are a joy to play. (Heck, Shinji from Evangelion grows a pair due to the interactions.)
    The remakes are worth playing just for the improvements to everything.
    The side games...are hit and miss with people.

Heck, they could get away with calling most of the games different names since they're all done by different teams for the most part.
    The only reason why they don't is because they share the unique combat system, which is improved upon with each iteration, and use the same names for most items and skills/spells.

And that's my short rant.

15. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    oh
    I meant phantasia
    XD

When it comes to the 2D linear battle system, I'll say destiny is one of my favorites - though it doesn't have a good story. The talking sword XD
    I was never able to play the second one though.

tales of the abyss, I'll say, was impressive by its visuals, yet I missed the linear gameplay. Wasn't tales of the abyss the first of the tales series to use the 3D field?

symphonia (gamecube) was good, both in visuals and story wise. It was a good break from "save the world from a terrible monster" theme.

Games such as vesperia shows the evolving battle system of the tales series, but I hope namco's continuous development with the original linear battle system remains.

16. DrHectic

Newcomer DrHectic Advanced Member

Australia
    this one looks promising. i hope it's better than symphonia 2