Hacking Next Step - Using 'FastHax' not SafeHax (Due to Known Issue) - O3DS, 11.1.0.34U

Archon_Eponymous

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
icancodebutreallycannotbebothered.fu.all
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone!

I successfully hacked my own newly acquired N3DS-XL (9.9.0.26U) using the 3DS Hacks Guide, well authored by Plailect. A friend's daughter had (long ago) tried & failed to do the same with her O3DS (11.1.0.34U); since it was still a vulnerable FW, I thought I would try and help her out. I followed the guide again, ran into a black or red screen fail at 'SafeHax' execution (no amount of re-running it changed anything) - where I assume she gave up.

Per the guide, I changed from r27 to r19 (ending up with a persistent 'PM INIT FAIL' error message - not caused by the wireless hardware being disabled), then tried every release (keeping a 3DS cartridge installed, where required). Later I found that the 'PM INIT FAIL' issue (with FWs in the '11.1-11.3' range) is also known - but without a solution ever having been made or at least documented.

Someone in 'TinyVi's 'Issues' (TiniVi/safehax/issues/42) suggested 'FastHax' as a replacement, so I tried that and it worked perfectly.

Problem is, it does not carry the process in the guide forward. I've read all the threads I can find w/'FastHax' mentioned, but they all seem to be guiding attempts at other things (downgrades, etc.), not just the initial hack on a 'fresh' console.

Anyone have any info or suggestions for carrying the process forward (i.e. getting the console to boot into SafeB9SInstaller/install boot9strap, then Luma, etc.) ?

Thank you!

MrVtR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If I'm not wrong,when it was released the method,one of the options was fast+safehax,in 2017 here on that backup of 3ds.guide,after that,fasthax was replaced by safehax+udsploit. Since the 11.1-11.3 FW released,the udsploit have this kind of error,but I run normally here

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And we had another method,a compilation of soundhax,capable of install the CFW in less than 10 minutes,I use this method yet and 3ds.guide had the tutorial for 2-3 months,after that,the method just vanished,cuz some users were complaning about errors during the execution,but I never had an error and still works,just the function of install all the basic Cias in one click doesn't work,cuz the dev shutdown the server that the app used to download to install the apps

Last edited by MrVtR,
Reactions: Archon_Eponymous

Archon_Eponymous

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
If I'm not wrong, when it was released the method, one of the options was fast+safehax, in 2017 on that backup of 3ds.guide, after that, fasthax was replaced by safehax+udsploit. Since the 11.1-11.3 FW released, the udsploit have this kind of error, but I run normally here

And we had another method, a compilation of soundhax, capable of install the CFW in less than 10 minutes, I use this method yet and 3ds.guide had the tutorial for 2-3 months, after that,the method just vanished, cuz some users were complaning about errors during the execution, but I never had an error and still works, just the function of install all the basic CIAs in one click doesn't work, cuz the dev shutdown the server that the app used to download to install the apps.

The 'SafeHax/FastHax' method you're referring to is what I was talking about; people were using it for 'downgrading a console's FW' (Safehax (11.1/2) downgrade without DSIWare), before doing something else I don't recall (which I neither need or want to do), not just to do a basic console hack.

That thread is here: threads | safehax-11-1-2-downgrade-without-dsiware.455456 | page-1 (modified as I can't post links)

At the time the thread was written for that, 'FastHax' had (according to that thread) not yet been modified to work with the 11.1-11.3 FWs, and so they were using that 'SafeHax/FastHax' as an in between solution. Very shortly after, 'FastHax' was apparently updated.

Last edited by Archon_Eponymous,

MrVtR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The 'SafeHax/FastHax' method you're referring to is what I was talking about; people were using it for 'downgrading a console's FW' (Safehax (11.1/2) downgrade without DSIWare), before doing something else I don't recall (which I neither need or want to do), not just to do a basic console hack.

That thread is here: threads | safehax-11-1-2-downgrade-without-dsiware.455456 | page-1 (modified as I can't post links)

At the time the thread was written for that, 'FastHax' had apparently not been modified to work with the 11.1-11.3 FWs, and so they were using the 'SafeHax/FastHax' as an in between solution. Very shortly after, 'FastHax' had been updated. As that works fine, I would prefer to us it to complete the process, I just can't seem to find any documentation anywhere for doing that. Seems strange to me, as someone would have used 'FastHax' at some point...
The only "documentation" that I think u can find nowadays is the github

MrVtR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The only documentation I think u can find is the github and the source code of fasthax to study and modify
https://github.com/nedwill/fasthax/releases

https://3ds.hacks.guide/

I would use this guide, also I think updating to the latest firmware is fine? (Make sure before you update because I am far from an expert)
Yes,it's possible to update and use other method or just stay on the FW and use the soundhax

Archon_Eponymous

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
3ds hacks guide

I would use this guide, also I think updating to the latest firmware is fine? (Make sure before you update because I am far from an expert)

That is the guide I am using. It does not contain a fix for the problem I specified. You *should not update the firmware to the latest version until you have completed up to a certain section of the guide (one I can't reach without solving this issue first), as that first backs up your original FW version and makes it restore-able.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Some of the Github issues mentioned problems with the SD. Please make sure your SD is fully working (tested as advised on the guide) and/or try a different FAT32, 32KB cluster size formatted SD.

Other than that there are alternatives if this – normally very easy and pretty reliable – route does not work for you (normally I would clearly prefer Soundhax→udsploit→Safehax because it is so fast and easy):
  • ntrboot with a compatible flashcart
  • update to the latest official firmware and use Seedminer [Bannerbomb3 → Fredtool]

==========
I really do not want to sound rude and have no idea how to put this – having seen some replies: Please read the OP. Suggesting simply following the Soundhax path over and over again when @Archon_Eponymous clearly stated it did not work for him will not help.

Archon_Eponymous

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
The only documentation I think u can find is the github and the source code of fasthax to study and modify.

Yes, it's possible to update and use other method or just stay on the FW and use the soundhax

I'm acquainted with every 'GitHub' attached to all of the component parts used to perform the hack, including that one. I was trying to find someone with the experience or info, rather than my needing to re-invent the wheel (re-write the code) in order to get it to work. I'm not a programmer, though I don't have a problem looking over code and seeing what's going on to a point.

Updating the FW will not fix the issue with 'SoundHax' - the problem exists for every FW from the one presently on the console, all the way to the 'cannot hack once this is installed' FWs*.

I appreciate the suggestions; so far this doesn't seem like anything that fits the bill.

(*Cannot hack using the typical/original tools & methods - Flash Carts & 'Seedminer' can both still be used, along with a few other much more specialized/difficult methods)

Some of the Github issues mentioned problems with the SD. Please make sure your SD is fully working (tested as advised on the guide) and/or try a different FAT32, 32KB cluster size formatted SD.

Other than that there are alternatives if this – normally very easy and pretty reliable – route does not work for you (normally I would clearly prefer Soundhax→udsploit→Safehax because it is so fast and easy):
  • ntrboot with a compatible flashcart
  • update to the latest official firmware and use Seedminer [Bannerbomb3 → Fredtool]

==========
I really do not want to sound rude and have no idea how to put this – having seen some replies: Please read the OP. Suggesting simply following the Soundhax path over and over again when @Archon_Eponymous clearly stated it did not work for him will not help.

Heh. Right... they won't.

There is no issue with the card(s), they're properly formatted (FAT32/MBR not GPT/32k Cluster Size) - I did see the mention of the one individual who corrected their issue by reformatting their card and starting again though. I also did full surface scans to thoroughly verify the integrity of the cards.

Considering the console has a vulnerable firmware, buying a flash-cart seems like an expensive way to bypass a problem I don't have (non-vulnerable firmware). Also, upgrading the firmware to the newest also seems like an invitation to severely limit what can be done with the device, as opposed to what can be done after a successful hack.

Just need to find someone with the right information, what it is I'm missing, which is basically: How do you get 'FastHax' to call the next step in the guide ?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Considering the console has a vulnerable firmware, buying a flashcart seems like an expensive way to bypass a problem I don't have (non-vulnerable firmware). Also, upgrading the firmware to the newest also seems like an invitation to severely limit what can be done with the device, as opposed to what can be done after a successful hack.
I can assure you that you won't run into any limits by updating the firmware (it is part of the guide anyway). The opposite is the case: With older firmware some games cannot be played. If you want to be extra sure you do not close any doors forever:
Try some DS (non-3DS) software before the upgrade and open the DSiWare Data Management.
If for whatever reason DS software does not work, you should not update.

I have no other ideas what could be tried.
Just need to find someone with the right information, what it is I'm missing, which is basically: How do you get 'FastHax' to call the next step in the guide ?
I do not know if this can be done. From the readme.md I only get fasthax installs a kernel backdoor and a quick(!) look in the source does not show any signs of trying to load files from the SD – while filenames like arm9.bin and safehaxpayload.bin can be found in the main.c of safehax.

Archon_Eponymous

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
The only documentation I think u can find is the github and the source code of fasthax to study and modify.

Yes,it's possible to update and use other method or just stay on the FW and use the soundhax

The forum suggested another thread (near the bottom), and it outlines the Decrypt9/ctrtransfer 2.1.0 -

threads | question-soundhax-safehax-fasthax.455776 |

That may be the key to things, as it explains the relationship between 'Soundhax' & 'Fasthax'.

Archon_Eponymous

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I can assure you that you won't run into any limits by updating the firmware (it is part of the guide anyway). The opposite is the case: With older firmware some games cannot be played. If you want to be extra sure you do not close any doors forever:
Try some DS (non-3DS) software before the upgrade and open the DSiWare Data Management.
If for whatever reason DS software does not work, you should not update.

I have no other ideas what could be tried.

I do not know if this can be done. From the readme.md I only get fasthax installs a kernel backdoor and a quick(!) look in the source does not show any signs of trying to load files from the SD – while filenames like arm9.bin and safehaxpayload.bin can be found in the main.c of safehax.

The FW on this console may not be the latest, but it's not 'old' by any means. It is an '11.1.0-xxU'' which is hack-able. Updating to '11.2.0' or '11.3.0' does nothing to assist the end user. If you update to '11.4.0'... you're screwed*.

As far as the guide is concerned, you only update to the latest firmware *after* you have done all the hacking (after that is done, you can 'back out' the update; it also prevents the upgrade from overwriting everything you installed prior to it). If you *start* by updating the firmware... you can no longer hack it without buying a flash-cart or using some other (often expensive) external assistance*.

Outside the FW updates that *are* required in order to allow newer games to play (there are virtually none at the '11.x.x' FW level)... it doesn't *need* to be updated. The only reason you're prompted to update it, is so that Nintendo can update consoles to prevent future attempts to hack them. Of course, they don't tell you that... they'll tell you it's needed, hell it may not even tell you that.

There is a software package (a .3dsx) that once installed will automatically report (to all system/remote inquiries) that you already *have* the latest FW version, and so it stops everything from asking you to update it.

(*Cannot hack using the typical/original tools & methods - Flash Carts & 'Seedminer' can both still be used, along with a few other much more specialized/difficult methods)

MrVtR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The forum suggested another thread (near the bottom), and it outlines the Decrypt9/ctrtransfer 2.1.0 -

threads | question-soundhax-safehax-fasthax.455776 |

That may be the key to things, as it explains the relationship between 'Soundhax' & 'Fasthax'.
Idk if this will result in something since soundhax is still working, the fastest solution if someone have this issue and can't fix is just update and do another method

The FW on this console may not be the latest, but it's not 'old' by any means. It is an '11.1.0-xxU'' which is hack-able. Updating to '11.2.0' or '11.3.0' does nothing to assist the end user. If you update to '11.4.0'... you're screwed.

As far as the guide is concerned, you only update to the latest firmware *after* you have done all the hacking (after that is done, you can 'back out' the update; it also prevents the upgrade from overwriting everything you installed prior to it). If you *start* by updating the firmware... you can no longer hack it without buying a flash-cart or using some other (often expensive) external assistance.

Outside the FW updates that *are* required in order to allow newer games to play (there are virtually none at the '11.x.x' FW level)... it doesn't *need* to be updated. The only reason you're prompted to update it, is so that Nintendo can update consoles to prevent future attempts to hack them. Of course, they don't tell you that... they'll tell you it's needed, hell it may not even tell you that.

There is a software package (a .3dsx) that once installed will automatically report (to all system/remote inquiries) that you already *have* the latest FW version, and so it stops everything from asking you to update it.

Why the person is screwed if update the FW? The latest FW is hackable and is so easy as soundhax,didn't understand why try to modify fasthax if we have another free methods to use,this is like try to say that we must port Rxtools to 11.10

Last edited by MrVtR,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
If you update to '11.4.0'... you're screwed.
This is not true, you can just use seedminer. It might take an extra few minutes compared to SoundHax but I'd hardly call that being screwed.

I don't think looking at FastHax is going to get you anywhere. FastHax was used to allow installation of legit cias (either games or system titles for downgrade). It is an arm11 exploit, whereas you need an arm9 one to be able to install CFW or do anything with non-legit stuff.

Reactions: Archon_Eponymous

Archon_Eponymous

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
This is not true, you can just use seedminer. It might take an extra few minutes compared to SoundHax but I'd hardly call that being screwed.

I don't think looking at FastHax is going to get you anywhere. FastHax was used to allow installation of legit cias (either games or system titles for downgrade). It is an arm11 exploit, whereas you need an arm9 one to be able to install CFW or do anything with non-legit stuff.

I should have said 'upgrading one's FW to '11.4.0' or above breaks all the traditional techniques used to hack the DSx/2DSx/3DSx console series since the beginning.

I think you both missed a line later in that post: "...you can no longer hack it without buying a flash-cart -OR- using some other (often expensive) external assistance."

Though I was not aware of the 'Seedminer' technique for hacking (I just read through it, and though it's a little more involved and requires an outside source to assist with the encryption key math), it looks just fine.

Only concern I can think of is the possibility that the site comes down for some reason (legal, reassigning resources, choice to close by the site owner), as without it the technique breaks down.

If I cannot get another method to work, I will attempt using that one. Thank you for bringing it to my attention Quantumcat!

MrVtR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I should have said 'upgrading one's FW to '11.4.0' or above breaks all the traditional techniques used to hack the DSx/2DSx/3DSx console series since the beginning.

I think you both missed a line later in that post: "...you can no longer hack it without buying a flash-cart -OR- using some other (often expensive) external assistance."

Though I was not aware of the 'Seedminer' technique for hacking (I just read through it, and though it's a little more involved and requires an outside source to assist with the encryption key math), it looks just fine.

Only concern I can think of is the possibility that the site comes down for some reason (legal, reassigning resources, choice to close by the site owner), as without it the technique breaks down.

If I cannot get another method to work, I will attempt using that one. Thank you for bringing it to my attention Quantumcat!
About ur concern,I don't think the site would be shutdown forever and the method break,It already happens twice I think that the site was down cuz some errors happened on server,but this method anyone(with a medium-high power PC)can do without the site,of course it's much faster with the external source,but this method was released last year I think,however,I understand that concern,if u cannot fix ur soundhax,try the seedminner+frogminner or seedminner+fredtool,both are good and quite fast to do too :D

Last edited by MrVtR,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DTApple
    please let me look cool as well
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtzMUJIofNg