Hardware Next Nintendo DS Titled "Nintendo 3DS"

supernapalm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects

There, just getting that into everyones head.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am blind in one eye (since August 1991) and therefore will never see true 3D again, nor will I ever be able to enjoy 3D movies that require 3D glasses. I feel that they WILL use this sort of 3D in the next Ninty handheld system if these 3DS announcements are true, for a lot of reasons:

Even though I am forever locked in a world of 2D sight, the images in that vid look 3D to me when they tilt the screen around. Yes, I know they are only 2D images that "appear" 3D, but I will take what I can get. If the "3DS" system makes every new game have that effect, and it can be turned on or off on-the-fly, I might actually consider buying it because I think the system would be a huge success. I can even imagine them re-inventing 2D side-scrollers or shmups with that pseudo-3D effect.....actually, I can imagine quite a few older genres of games that would get a real kick in the butt from this type of "instant" 3D enhancement. Could you imagine running around in a Castlevania game, and everything had that 3D effect added to it? That would be sweet...in so many games!

The biggest bonus of the method they demo'd in that vid is that it doesn't discriminate against people with only one eye, everyone sees the same pseudo-3D image, 3D impaired or not. It also makes it where they can use simpler, less intense graphics methods to achieve a higher level of "3D-ness" very easily. I guess that depends on how power hungry that pseudo-3D effect is though. Even if it's just a "gimmick", it's a really good one. If they use it, it will sell.

Being the dirty rotten pirate I am though, I will wait until there is some sort of flashcart or other SOLID method of playing backups on the system before I'd buy into it. Free is better than paying.
smileipb2.png

In fact, they MIGHT find that the system won't sell too well if people can't ever pirate its games.
shifty.gif

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rayder said:
I am blind in one eye (since August 1991) and therefore will never see true 3D again, nor will I ever be able to enjoy 3D movies that require 3D glasses. I feel that they WILL use this sort of 3D in the next Ninty handheld system if these 3DS announcements are true, for a lot of reasons:

Even though I am forever locked in a world of 2D sight, the images in that vid look 3D to me when they tilt the screen around. Yes, I know they are only 2D images that "appear" 3D, but I will take what I can get. If the "3DS" system makes every new game have that effect, and it can be turned on or off on-the-fly, I might actually consider buying it because I think the system would be a huge success. I can even imagine them re-inventing 2D side-scrollers or shmups with that pseudo-3D effect.....actually, I can imagine quite a few older genres of games that would get a real kick in the butt from this type of "instant" 3D enhancement. Could you imagine running around in a Castlevania game, and everything had that 3D effect added to it? That would be sweet...in so many games!

The biggest bonus of the method they demo'd in that vid is that it doesn't discriminate against people with only one eye, everyone sees the same pseudo-3D image, 3D impaired or not. It also makes it where they can use simpler, less intense graphics methods to achieve a higher level of "3D-ness" very easily. I guess that depends on how power hungry that pseudo-3D effect is though. Even if it's just a "gimmick", it's a really good one. If they use it, it will sell.

Being the dirty rotten pirate I am though, I will wait until there is some sort of flashcart or other SOLID method of playing backups on the system before I'd buy into it. Free is better than paying.
smileipb2.png

In fact, they MIGHT find that the system won't sell too well if people can't ever pirate its games.
shifty.gif
When you think of it that way.. it doesnt seem too shabby
tongue.gif

Im gonna have to rethink this

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I feel your pain, Rayder. I've had next to no depth perception due to severe damage to my right eye since I was 15. Mother threw a plate at my head. End result is that my vision goes blurry every now and then and I have basically no sense of depth. I hope I can still play this system OK.

dmzero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going to buy two of these.

I really would love to take on of these apart just for fun and maybe mod it a bit.

I can't believe people thought there would be "pop out" hologram 3D. If that was the case then you would need glasses and it would probably not do too well under certain lighting conditions. It would probably eat up battery life as well.

Ben_j

Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
I'd go with the Autostereoscopy with lenticular lenses techology.

This technology is basicaly the same as the one used for 3D cards that you could get in your cereal boxes. The disadvantage of this technology is that you have to be close to the screen so that it works well. It's not a problem for an handheld device, since you have to be close.

Now imagine if they combine this and the head-tracking thing of the DSi game ? I say it would be awesome

QUOTE said:
I can't believe people thought there would be "pop out" hologram 3D. If that was the case then you would need glasses and it would probably not do too well under certain lighting conditions. It would probably eat up battery life as well.
I didn't think it was possible either, but a friend told me about that technology. It's very real.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm wondering if there'll be one slot for games or two seeing that its backwards compatible.

I'm betting on one slot to reduce costs (I also see the NDS mode being emulated to cut down on costs). They could still use carts similar to the NDS carts for 3DS games, they could be modified to have a larger capacity but also better transfer speeds than what the DS ones can do.

Game sizes I can't see being that much bigger than what the Gamecube and PSP games are.

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
supernapalm said:
Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects Not all games have to use 3D effects

There, just getting that into everyones head.

It's Nintendo's new tech for their handheld, they will shoehorn the damn thing into every possible game they can. Seems like Nintendo is going to mess up their next handheld out the door. This seems more like a gimmick then the stylus and touch screen ever were. At least the stylus and touch screen were usually put in fine, but this 3D crap, this doesn't seem like it will work for many games except that one for the DSi that looked like it got old fast.

Nintendo you don't need to try and innovate with everything, jesus just make one normal new handheld or console, sheesh.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Sylar1 said:
It's Nintendo's new tech for their handheld, they will shoehorn the damn thing into every possible game they can. Seems like Nintendo is going to mess up their next handheld out the door. This seems more like a gimmick then the stylus and touch screen ever were. At least the stylus and touch screen were usually put in fine, but this 3D crap, this doesn't seem like it will work for many games except that one for the DSi that looked like it got old fast.

Nintendo you don't need to try and innovate with everything, jesus just make one normal new handheld or console, sheesh.

You realize people said pretty much the same stuff about dual-screen gaming, back before the DS Phat was released? We all now know what happened with that. I vote we hold off on the naysaying and whining before even seeing the thing in action. It seems that most people just aren't capable of seeing the potential in anything too different from what they're accustomed to. It's too bad.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hadriano said:
I'm wondering if there'll be one slot for games or two seeing that its backwards compatible.

I'm betting on one slot to reduce costs (I also see the NDS mode being emulated to cut down on costs). They could still use carts similar to the NDS carts for 3DS games, they could be modified to have a larger capacity but also better transfer speeds than what the DS ones can do.

Game sizes I can't see being that much bigger than what the Gamecube and PSP games are.
Maybe that's what the new kind of game cartridge is for... Hmm...

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
its going to be like the virtual boy!

Except with TWO SCREENS!

YAY!

**Double fail!!
rofl2.gif

**actually i think that this is a pretty fuckin awesome idea...but due to its most likely ungodly launch price...this is my jealous feelings
closedeyes.gif

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TM2-Megatron said:
Sylar1 said:

You realize people said pretty much the same stuff about dual-screen gaming, back before the DS Phat was released? We all now know what happened with that. I vote we hold off on the naysaying and whining before even seeing the thing in action. It seems that most people just aren't capable of seeing the potential in anything too different from what they're accustomed to. It's too bad.

Not really, it really seems like this stuff will only be useful for "lol my game is in a box" type games

Knowing Nintendo, they will show it off by putting it unneedingly into games.

i already plan on waiting until june to see what nintendo does, but i better not have to play zelda by tilting the handheld back and fourth

dmzero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stanleyopar2000 said:

**actually i think that this is a pretty fuckin awesome idea...but due to its most likely ungodly launch price...this is my jealous feelings
closedeyes.gif

Come on the this is Nintendo it isn't going to be THAT expensive.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see Super Paper Mario 2 heading to 3DS. The Wii game you switched to 3D view to solve a puzzle or find alternative routes, the same thing could be done with this but using this kind of 3D.

We need different words for these two "3D's".

dmzero said:
stanleyopar2000 said:

closedeyes.gif

Come on the this is Nintendo it isn't going to be THAT expensive.
DSiXL is £159 here which to me is way more than what it should be. I don't see this being less than that price.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Sylar1 said:
Not really, it really seems like this stuff will only be useful for "lol my game is in a box" type games

Knowing Nintendo, they will show it off by putting it unneedingly into games.

i already plan on waiting until june to see what nintendo does, but i better not have to play zelda by tilting the handheld back and fourth

Really. There always seem to be people willing to step up and (lacking any ideas themselves) bash everything and anything new that happens to come along just because it isn't what they're used to.

If the rumours that this unit could be nearly as powerful as a Gamecube are true, then the 3-D depth effect could be used in conjunction with the type of 3-D graphics we've seen in games since the move from 2-D to 3-D animation. Imagine a port of Mario Sunshine (it's the next logical Mario game to port to a handheld, so I imagine we'll see it eventually) with that kind of 3-D depth to the screen.

It just adds a new dimension to playing. Sure, there'll be people who use it as a gimmick; but overall I think there are some awesome uses for this.

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
Ben_j said:
Ruri said:
The technology they're going to use is probably this.

Yep, I second that. a screen with some kind of lens-thingy film on it.
Stereoscopic rendering is not 3D. When do people eventually learn this. VR is 3D but not SR. Besides SR only works with a few people. And without special glasses SR doesn't work at all since you need filtering. How else are your eyes supposed to know which of the two rendered images it should use? Exactly, there is none. Filtering on the screen is worthless since each of your eyes needs a filter not both eyes together. Your eyes are also not "interlaced". So physically this is nonsense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ +1