Next Nintendo Console, or soon to be addition to wii?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by nitrodude150, Jul 26, 2008.

1. nitrodude150
    OP

Member nitrodude150 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    YEEAAA!!! That's What I'm Talkin Bout!!

Anyways, Here's the link to this AWESOME article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtm.../eabrain120.xml

2. xergal

Newcomer xergal Advanced Member

Iirc, Nintendo did apply for a patent for a product that utlilises brain waves...

3. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    wouldnt thought just make it too easy?

4. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    No. Could you imagine how difficult it would be to send out brainwaves about snails when you're staring at videos of lolcats?

Also, this is highly possible, atm they have (not nintendo) in beta this cool thing that you put around your neck and reads what you almost send to your vocal box, so you pretty much have to do little less but actually speak the words, also allowing you to make a clear distinction between barely speaking and thought.

5. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

Did someone say OCZ Neural Impulse Actuator?

6. tojomajojo

Newcomer tojomajojo Advanced Member

United States
    wow so now instead of using your hands to play baseball and all that stuff, we can just sit around and think about it! great!

7. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    i don't wanna have to think urghhh, can't Wii2 just play itself! [​IMG]

8. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I don't like the idea at all. My thoughts are MINE! I don't like the idea that my thoughts could be read by a machine.

Right now they're just talking about thought impulses to control game input and that's all well-and-fine, but how long will it be before they start to learn how to determine exactly what you are thinking and start penalizing you just for your thoughts if they find them too disturbing? I sometimes think up some pretty sick and twisted stuff (you KNOW we all do it on occasion), but it's my actions that matter, not my thoughts.

Controlling a video game with your thoughts would only be the beginning of one of your last personal privacy's being invaded. No thanks.

9. Dylaan

Member Dylaan GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Seriously what? This sort of technology should be developed for those who are unable to use existing methods. I don't want to be in the same class as a quadriplegic... [​IMG] It might be fun for a handful of mini-games, but I'll cry if they make it the basis of their next system! Am I the only one seeing this as the world's biggest gimmick?

10. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I could see this coming at some point with the new headset for the PC that reads thoughts and emotions. At only about £100 right now (not forgetting production costs will be down significantly by the time Nintendo's next console comes out) it's a no-brainer.

What scares me is the pace of technology here, thought control has been a dream of man forever, and now it's becoming commercial. Next we'll see thought-controlled appliances. Scary, huh?
    And head-tracking, motion control and thought control can only mean one thing: virtual reality simulation is only just round the corner people. With almost life-like graphics arriving next generation (I can only assume after the leaps and bounds the PS3 made over the previous generation's graphics), video games are gonna start dominating.
    If I may use a cheesy phrase...
    The future's now!

EDIT:
    Just read all the negative comments. Nintendo aren't going to make totally thought-controlled games. Games could artistically use differing moods and emotions (thought-control means emotion-control btw people) to change colours and backgrounds in the game, which could be cool. Otherwise, thought-control could be used in conjunction with an ordinary game to emulate psychic powers, or perhaps to activate more subtle things like the focus in Red Steel. Thinking "focus" to activate the power would work much better than pushing the Wiimote forward quickly.
    Think of the thought-control as more a complementary feature than a new control system. And if Nintendo make it Bluetooth-connected again (which they should imo, PC connectivity has probably significantly boosted Wiimote sales), it could be for PC use. Instead of a remote control for your media player, just think "play" or "menu".
    See the possibilities people?
    Thought you would.

11. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    im scared [​IMG]

12. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States

Science needs to start thinking about should I rather than could I

13. Pimpmynintendo

Member Pimpmynintendo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The Big N probably isn't going to do this. If they do I will totally laugh about their get up and move stance they have going now. Plus this would bring even more shovel-ware onto Nintendo Consoles and would be a bad move.

Aren't you guys forgetting the real upcoming Nintendo Addon? You all know you want an emulated Playstation addon for the SNES Virtual Console games.(If you don't get this joke you probably don't know about the early Playstation/SNES thing)

14. LFF

Newcomer LFF Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    This would be even harder than the Wii for third party developers to utilise.

15. Trolly

United Kingdom
    It's still easier to make a game for the Wii than the 360 or PS3, as the graphics are nowhere near as advanced. Besides, the devkits allow them to very easily match a gesture to an in-game action, it's not difficult apparently.

16. Pimpmynintendo

Member Pimpmynintendo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Trolly is right about the Wii devkits since most dev companies are used to the GC and the devkits i bet are pretty much the GC ones with extra things for motion. Also I think he meant about the brain wave thing Trolly.

17. Trolly

United Kingdom
    Yeah, I just didn't pay attention to that bit haha. Yeah, who knows how hard it would be. I'd assume the devkits would make it fairly easy, with easy to program commands on what you want the game to pick-up on and such. Meh, who knows, we'll have to see.

18. Trolly

United Kingdom
    Double posted, sorry. Stupid internet connection...