Next Gen sales are Neck&Neck

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by chavosaur, Dec 12, 2013.

1. chris888222

chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Oct 11, 2010
    Senegal
    These are my views:

While I've always been a bigger fan of nintendo handhelds, I'm going to say that the Wii U doesn't interest me one bit. I'm sorry Nintendo, but some of your actions (even for handhelds) are becoming increasingly stupid - ahem at region lock for 3DS.

I'd gladly pick the PS4 as my desired next gen console. Although it has no backwards compatibility and now has payable online, it has some very decent cross-vita features (makes me really glad that I didn't sell my vita) and games which interest me.

I would have given Microsoft a chance, but seeing their previous company demands, plus that horrible tile UI which I absolutely detest. Sorry xbox one, unless you have really mind blowing exclusives.

But again, these are my thoughts. Please go for a console based on your OWN interest or liking!

Ron likes this.
  2. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    In general I don't see myself going next gen in terms of consoles any time soon.

I got a 3DS and a Vita and they've been home to the more pulpier, meaty titles that I like and generally get more interesting exclusives. Honestly I'd buy a PS4 when it's cheap to stream PS4 games to my Vita.

3. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    Both pretty great consoles all around, they deserve these sales.

4. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Jul 10, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Bewdley, UK
    This neck and neck statistic caused me to raise an eyebrow. I thought the PS4 would comfortably outsell the Xbox one. Over here in the UK the PS4 AFAIK is stripping the Xbox one easily. Xbox Ones are now readily available in supermarkets, Game shops, Amazon, Argos etc but the PS4 is pretty much like gold dust still. I cant help but think that whilst the figures might be neck and neck now, its more to do with the fact that people just cannot get hold of the PS4 at the moment whilst the Xbox sits on shelves. At least in the UK thats how it looks anyway.

5. T Link7

T Link7 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2008
    Netherlands
    Oh Gahars, what would we do without you? :P

And as for Guild's comment: I guess you're right, but I still won't like the machine because of what Microsoft tried to pull off with needing internet for everything and stuff. Go XBoxwon!

6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Sony has always been top in Europe, but these sales figures are worldwide...hence the neck and neck. In the US, the market is pretty well mixed, where (at least, last gen) MS had a slight upperhand. Seeing how MS pretty much fixed all the issues people were complaining about, it's not so surprising to see them so close to the PS4 in sales

7. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone

To be fair Microsoft reversed a lot of what was wrong with the console in response to fan feedback. Shows that they're pretty in touch with the times really and it'll serve as a future precedent that there's still checks and balances between companies and consumers.

8. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    The most recent reports show it's also almost 50/50 in the UK - if anything the One has sold a few thousand more, and they're not 'readily available' - units are leaving the shelves as soon as they get there, MS are just shipping more out, hence it being far easier to order.

9. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    That or their investors had them by the balls and the squeeze was getting tighter and tighter.

10. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!

Because investors are worrying if the multi-billion dollar company with multiple sources of large amounts of income doesn't sell a game console all that great because the amount of people who know what DRM even means don't buy one? Come on man, this isn't Nintendo. Not all of these companies completely rely on video games for their income.