Next-gen PS VR controllers revealed

psvr2.jpg

Sony has just given us a glimpse of its next-gen VR controller via a new blog post from Hideaki Nishino, Senior Vice President, Platform Planning & Management. It lacks the "orb" design of the old-gen one and adopts a design more akin to other VR controllers, while still packing an original look. The company says that "it’s well-balanced and comfortable to hold in each of your hands".

vr4.jpg

vr3.jpg vr2.jpg

These new controllers are also said to enable players to "feel and interact with games in a much more visceral way" and borrows some features from the PS5's DualSense controller to do so. As per the announcement, you can find some of the key features below:

Adaptive triggers: Each VR controller (Left and Right) includes an adaptive trigger button that adds palpable tension when pressed, similar to what’s found in the DualSense controller. If you’ve played a PS5 game, you’ll be familiar with the tension in the L2 or R2 buttons when you press them, such as when you’re drawing your bow to fire an arrow. When you take that kind of mechanic and apply it to VR, the experience is amplified to the next level.

Haptic feedback: The new controller will have haptic feedback optimized for its form factor, making every sensation in the game world more impactful, textured and nuanced. When you’re traversing through rocky desert or trading blows in melee combat, you’ll feel the difference, magnifying the extraordinary visual and audio experience that’s so central to VR.

Finger touch detection: The controller can detect your fingers without any pressing in the areas where you place your thumb, index, or middle fingers. This enables you to make more natural gestures with your hands during gameplay.

Tracking: The VR controller is tracked by the new VR headset through a tracking ring across the bottom of the controller.

Action buttons / analog sticks: The Left controller contains one analog stick, the triangle and square buttons, a “grip” button (L1), trigger button (L2) and Create button. The Right controller contains one analog stick, the cross and circle buttons, a “grip” button (R1), trigger button (R2) and Options button. The “grip” button can be used to pick up in-game objects, as one example.

What do you think of these new VR controllers?

:arrow: SOURCE

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nice, big upgrade over a glowy ball on a stick. For anyone confused: it's designed like that because there's a bunch of motion sensors in each of the plastic "belts." They have to be in a location that can't be covered up by the hand, so it's not just a random aesthetic choice lol.

Reactions: felix.200

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was kinda hoping they would keep the current VR running for a decent amount of time before releasing an update.
The cost of gaming this gen just keeps going up and up. A PS5 will set you back £500 plus an SSD to give you a decent amount of storage for another £300ish, an extra controller is £60, another £60 for a year of PS Plus if you want to play online and now this, i cant see this costing any less than the original VR did at launch, it expect it will cost more. So that at least another £300 which makes a total of approx £1200.... then you also have headsets, charging units for all the various controllers etc so that total could still increase even more.
That's before you have bought a game too so add another £60-£70 for that too.

I can remember my parents buying me the Master System over an NES because they said the NES was too expensive at £179.99 back in the 80's!!

Thank fuck i have a daughter and she isnt interested in the PS5 or the XBX, we will stick to all the consoles we have already. She currently has a PC Engine SuperCD setup in her room :)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I wonder what the haptic feedback is like.

I would like to see some sort of flywheel arrangement that would actually oppose (or force) rotational movement on the controller. That would be neat.

Karones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Those controllers look really stylish imo, bringing the incredible haptic feedback and adaptive triggers will be a big step in VR. Hope it becomes the norm and that games actually use them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)