Next Borderlands coming and is placed on the moon

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Sakitoshi, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Sakitoshi
    OP

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    The next traditional Borderlands game will be a prequel called Borderlands: The Pre-sequel. and as the title says, the game will be played on the Hyperion moonbase.

As the video shows there are new characters to play (CLAPTRAP IS PLAYABLE OMG), new crazy weapons as well as other interesting things like low gravity. everything is coming to last gen consoles and the always current PC MASTER RACE!!!

:arrow:Source

2. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    • Being developed by 2K Australia and due out in the fall and is not being released for next-gen consoles so the PC version will most likely not be that much different than Borderlands 2.
    • Set between Borderlands 1 & 2
    • Not Borderlands 3
    • Story wise you help out Handsome Jack. Not known why.
    • Playable characters included Athena from Borderland's 1 Genral Knoxx DLC , Claptrap from the series is also now named fragtrap, Wilhelm from Borderlands 2, and Nisha from Borderlands 2
    • The setting this time around is set on Pandora's moon and will require you to keep collecting oxygen which drops of as normal loot (seems pointless)
    • Two new weapon damage types Cryo (Freezes then shatters the enemy if you keep shooting) and lasers which can become massive.

I cannot see this competing that well with Destiny. It should be priced at $30 if it's not.
    Luckily Gearbox isn't touching this game, but sadly Anthony Burch is so get ready for memes.

Will probably get when it's $15-$20 on a steam sale.

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Damn, I hope BL2 does well on the PSVita, that would secure a port in the near future. As for the lack of a PS4/Xbox One version... whaaat? :rofl2:

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I really should play borderlands 2 one of these days.

5. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone

Don't, it's not that great.

I'm sure it'll be full of EPIC MAY MAYS and being an unfun and unfunny game like BL2 was.

Gahars, Ergo and CompassNorth like this.
  6. CompassNorth

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Anthony Burch is returning as the writer, so definitely, which is a damn shame.

I'm debating whether I want the game because they're decent to good co-op games, but the memes were just too damn much and the pop-culture references were so terrible.

Celice likes this.
  7. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I wish I knew that before I got BL2 for the PC. First one was a nice pleasant surprise from the Steam Sale but I started to lose interest an hour into BL2. Tried again for another hour a few months later but it still doesn't make me want to keep playing.

8. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Neat.

9. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    On the one hand, this sounds better than that Tell Tale "Tales From The Borderlands" thing... on the other hand, I've had bowel movements that sound better than that, so that's not exactly high praise.

So... yeah, can't say I'm all that hyped.

10. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    PS3 and 360 will never die, I guess.

11. CompassNorth

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Why would they be dead yet? They're not even discontinued.
    It hasn't even been a year since their successors have been out.

12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Don't they still have the Wii U to kill?

On Borderlands 2 so I will wait for it to be the choice between a drink and a copy of the game in a few years then. If it is something roughly shooty like Borderlands 1 I can at least go that, especially if it is splitscreen and/or LAN capable.

GameWinner likes this.
  13. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    I'm cool with this. I like the gameplay of Borderlands 1 and 2. I also noticed that the story was heavily pushed in the sequel, to the point where a lot of it felt forced and made popular. Then again, Burch's writing has recently become very apologetic and pop-culture based, and is starting now to seem like some weird Twilight Zone version of gender and gaming rights with some weird sprinkles of affirmative action. The writing isn't distinct from the world, or even very interested in the game itself, as much as it seems to try and be part of the larger pop-culture world, which really betrays the game-itself.

I actually really enjoyed the narrative in the first Borderlands, which lended itself well to the overall environment of being on a piss-empty planet with other beasts, bandits, and treasure hunters.

However, I'm not cool that this is its own standalone release. This is more DLC-worthy material. I'm doubting the length is very considerable compared to the Dragon's Keep DLC in Borderlands 2, and so this feels like money milking more than charitable game development to me. Looking forward to see if anyone ends up getting the game running in Borderlands 2 down the line.

14. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Well to be fair, the PS2's very last game was released in September 2013 so...PS3 won't die until 2019 ;O;

To expand on my last post, I loved Borderlands 1 and 2. Not so much the story of it, but the amazing co-op it had. Used to play both with a very dear friend of mine a while ago, some of my best memories with them involve both Borderlands 1 and 2...so hey, as long as I can still play with her then I couldn't give a sloppy wet shit if the story is full of le maymays.

15. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    both borderlands were great as far as i played it however 1 was definitely more superior.
    head ache man head ache... please help me on this

Moon, i wonder if they can make it more RPG with closed area over continuous movement kinda game

16. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    why didnt they just release this as bl2 dlc?

chartube12 and Celice like this.
  17. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    I gave up on borderlands 2 half way through the 3rd season pass DLC and traded it in for 25 credit. I wish from the very end of the main borderlands 2 story that they would release an expansion that told jack's story. Now we are getting it but as a separate title?, WTH! If this was the 90s, hell even the late 90s this would be sold as a 20-25 dollar expansion pack for the 2nd game and the previous 8 DLCs would have had double the content and sold as two expansion packs. I call this dev and publisher greediness, greed that has grown over time.

18. Apex

Apex GBAtemp Fan

Sep 4, 2006
    茨城県
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't sit through all of BL2. It was just more of BL1. I have very little expectations for this new one, let's hope that it means my expectations are easily met.

19. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States

Some extended gameplay is shown in this Rev3 Games commentary. Looks just like Borderlands 2 with jump height boosted and with no gravity enabled on object physics.

Though hearing that Anthony Burch isn't exclusively writing for the game has piqued my interest.

20. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I'll go out on a limb and say, because it isn't DLC.

:wacko:

It is certainly terrible that the second game was similar to the first, just with more content.

...like virtually every good sequel ever made ever.

Hikaru likes this.