newspeak "rom"

rest0re

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
QUOTE said:
Newspeak is a fictional language in George Orwell's novel Nineteen Eighty-Four. In the novel, it is described as being "the only language in the world whose vocabulary gets smaller every year." Orwell included an essay about it in the form of an Appendix (in the past tense)[1], in which the basic principles of the language are explained. Newspeak is closely based on English but has a greatly reduced and simplified vocabulary and grammar. This suited the totalitarian regime of the Party, whose aim was to make any alternative thinking ("thoughtcrime") or speech impossible by removing any words or possible constructs which describe the ideas of freedom, rebellion and so on.
from wikipedia

i found out that people are calling for example c-64 disk-images as roms. this sounds newspeak to me. they're not technically roms but disk-image and this makes me sad:( maybe this rom cool thing is from tosec. there are ROMS, SNAPSHOTS,DISK-IMAGES but not just ROMS. so refer always right... we dont need newspeak
frown.gif

I WUNNA DOWNLOAD AMIGA ROMZZ
so you want KICKSTART ?
NO I WAUNTZ THIS GAME ..
well.. there is only kickstart roms available
frown.gif
((
maybe you mean disk-images?

so lets keep language correct so computer-tech nazi (like me) wont go crazy over this little thing...

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes newspeak can be extended as well.

"I WANT TO PLAY ISO ON MY PS2"

Can sometimes be remixed as

"I WANT TO PLAY BACKUP GAMES"

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well, strictly speaking, ROM means read-only memory, and you can have ROM chips, CD ROMs, DVD ROMs, etc. etc. And any bit-per-bit copy of any read-only array is an "image". Calling everything an "image" or calling everything a ROM is technically correct, but creates confusion. And using a single unifying expression makes it easier for outsiders to understand what everyone's talking about.

So, using a different expression is a great way to shake the fuzz. "Oh, it's not ROMs anymore, ROMs are illegal, we are talking about "surprisingly accurate homebrew clones of commercial games". But not ROMs at all."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over